All Pro Lineman Workout

If he wasn’t doing all that foolish “abs” crap, his back probably wouldn’t hurt.

Food for thought.

[quote]chrisoldcorn wrote:
Just because he is 6’5 does not mean he doesn’t have to squat. People will look for any excuse not to squat. I guess people like the easier route.[/quote]

Or the route that has suceeded in making him millions of dollars up to this point.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
If he wasn’t doing all that foolish “abs” crap, his back probably wouldn’t hurt.

Food for thought.[/quote]

Isometric lower back contractions for ripped abs, sounds like a new article idea!

Ok lets see, for all the people defending his workout (I never said he didn’t have great success on the field, or that he doesn’t have good technique)

Tell me what from his training does anything for him, remember this is offseason, it isn’t like he is keeping volume and intensity low because he is suiting up and practicing all week.

His ab work is a joke.

Sitting against a goal post is a joke.

Truck pushes are really good

He is either lifting with no intensity whatsoever, or he is the weakest 325lb man to ever live.

His sprints make sense

His “Hurry-up diet” was horrible…

So that is 2/6.

Anyone care to dispute any of this without saying (But he is all pro!)?

[quote]daltron wrote:
chrisoldcorn wrote:
Just because he is 6’5 does not mean he doesn’t have to squat. People will look for any excuse not to squat. I guess people like the easier route.

Go into a college weight room and see how it is for guys that tall to squat.
[/quote]

I have a friend who is a legit 7 feet tall and can do squats. 6’ 5" isn’t too tall.

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
Ok lets see, for all the people defending his workout (I never said he didn’t have great success on the field, or that he doesn’t have good technique)

Tell me what from his training does anything for him, remember this is offseason, it isn’t like he is keeping volume and intensity low because he is suiting up and practicing all week.

His ab work is a joke.

He is either lifting with no intensity whatsoever, or he is the weakest 325lb man to ever live.

His sprints make sense

So that is 2/6.

Anyone care to dispute any of this without saying (But he is all pro!)?[/quote]

No I agree, his workout is far from optimal. But the fact is that he is playing great football doing what he does so I doubt anyone could convince him or prove otherwise. The goal is to play elite football, which he is succeeding at, so there is no reason to get worked up about what he is doing

His ab work is a joke.

His sprints make sense

So that is 2/6.

Anyone care to dispute any of this without saying (But he is all pro!)?[/quote]

I remember their is an article on hear if you were to do one exercise it would be a push sled-same as truck push-. I don’t get his point of just ‘maintaining his strength’ he is not that old and could definitely get stronger-since his dumbbell workout is pretty light for someone his strength-.

I’ve never really understood threads like this.

Here’s a guy who has made himself into one of the best LT’s on the face of the planet, but we think his workout is silly so let’s rip on him.

In his prime, he was arguably the best in the world at his position, and he’s still pretty damn good even as age catches up with him.

Wow, just imagine if he had trained properly!

Reminds of those threads where some posters determined that World-Record-Holder Rezazedah would be more explosive if he lost some fat.

or people saying that that bodybuilder who eats 2x a day should eat like a normal body builder. I don’t follow football too closely but apparently this guy is one of the best, he’s doing something right.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Reminds of those threads where some posters determined that World-Record-Holder Rezazedah would be more explosive if he lost some fat.[/quote]

That was classic. I think it was SuperScience - does he still post here?

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:

Here’s a guy who has made himself into one of the best LT’s on the face of the planet, but we think his workout is silly so let’s rip on him.

In his prime, he was arguably the best in the world at his position, and he’s still pretty damn good even as age catches up with him.

Reminds of those threads where some posters determined that World-Record-Holder Rezazedah would be more explosive if he lost some fat.[/quote]

Yea why would anyone want to get faster or stronger, that wouldn’t help him play football at all. Everyone knows that when you are really good you can’t go any higher it isn’t like someone might actually want to be THE BEST or even THE BEST EVER, no you are right he should do a subpar program because he is damn good. (sarcasm off)

I think I remember reading about an NBA players’ workout (not football, but I think it’s relevant) for the Sacramento Kings in a Greek basketball magazine, and I think I’ve heard the same principle repeated here.

The trainer of these basketball players said that when you have athletes with genetics like that, motivating them to train and keeping them from partying/binging on shit food is the most important thing he needs to do.

It would seem that any reasonable workout would work for them, while us plebs will need to give it more thought.

Yea why would anyone want to get faster or stronger, that wouldn’t help him play football at all. Everyone knows that when you are really good you can’t go any higher it isn’t like someone might actually want to be THE BEST or even THE BEST EVER, no you are right he should do a subpar program because he is damn good. (sarcasm off)[/quote]

Because the time and energy expended doing that may take away from other aspects of his game and life in general.

Most of us lift weights to get bigger and stronger. This guy is already bigger and stronger. His focus seems correct even if a few of his exercise choices look poor.

Football is not weight lifting.

tGunslinger wrote:

Reminds of those threads where some posters determined that World-Record-Holder Rezazedah would be more explosive if he lost some fat.

Yea why would anyone want to get faster or stronger, that wouldn’t help him play football at all. Everyone knows that when you are really good you can’t go any higher it isn’t like someone might actually want to be THE BEST or even THE BEST EVER, no you are right he should do a subpar program because he is damn good. (sarcasm off)[/quote]

So I’m assuming your the one who runs 150 sprints a week? Or push escalades 250 yards twice a week?
What exactly are you saying, if he did a nice T-Nation special 10x10 squats he would see alot more progress on the field then pushing his car up the drive way?
And please show me how many 325lbs men walking around can sit in linebacker stance for 1 minute.

I guess the reason he’s in the nfl and everybody else is in the gym is because he knows his goals.

“When I lift weights, I’m really just trying to maintain the strength that I already have,” Jones says. “People ask me what I can max but I don’t have any idea. I haven’t done that since college. My main goal with the weights is to just do the little things that help me on the field.”

take notice to ON THE FIELD not local powerlifting meet.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

Yea why would anyone want to get faster or stronger, that wouldn’t help him play football at all. Everyone knows that when you are really good you can’t go any higher it isn’t like someone might actually want to be THE BEST or even THE BEST EVER, no you are right he should do a subpar program because he is damn good. (sarcasm off)

So I’m assuming your the one who runs 150 sprints a week? Or push escalades 250 yards twice a week?
What exactly are you saying, if he did a nice T-Nation special 10x10 squats he would see alot more progress on the field then pushing his car up the drive way?
And please show me how many 325lbs men walking around can sit in linebacker stance for 1 minute.

I guess the reason he’s in the nfl and everybody else is in the gym is because he knows his goals.

“When I lift weights, I’m really just trying to maintain the strength that I already have,” Jones says. “People ask me what I can max but I don’t have any idea. I haven’t done that since college. My main goal with the weights is to just do the little things that help me on the field.”

[/quote]

Really good post.

How anyone can not see the hilarity of this agrument is beyond me. Maybe he should hook up with Charles Poliquin and Chad Waterbury and become a real player!!

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

That was classic. I think it was SuperScience - does he still post here?

[/quote]

Goddamnit, thinking of that thread pisses me off.

Escalades aren’t that heavy. If it was loaded with something, yes.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

[/quote]

Would being stronger and/or faster make him better on the field, yes or no?

Airtruth wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

Would being stronger and/or faster make him better on the field, yes or no?[/quote]

Would trainig to be faster and or stronger in the gym put him at an unneccessary risk of injury and impact his recovery from game to game and training to training? YES or NO?

Would devoting the extra time spent getting stronger and or faster have a significant enough carryover to his on the field abilities to justify it? YES or NO?

Airtruth wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

Would being stronger and/or faster make him better on the field, yes or no?[/quote]

So you’re saying that he hasnt reached optimal strength levels yet? I have no idea how good of a squatter he is - but you can make someone a better squatter without making them stronger. Getting them to sit back instead of down, pushing out on teh sides of their feet, pushing their heads back into the bar on the beginning of the ascent … all of that will add to the weight of the bar without making you stronger (instantaneously. It will make you stronger over the long haul, I believe, from dealing more consistently with heavier weights than previously.)

If you take an adolescent who’s squatting 200 lbs and get him to squat 3 or 400 lbs, you’ll make him better than he was previously. But there are diminishing returns to strength. The gains seen from 4 to 500 will be less the gains from 5 to 600 even less and I dont know that you’ll see a gain at all from 6 to 700