Old Guy Strength

I’m going to give it a shot.

11/13/16

Treadmill:
50 minutes / 768 calories

Random Leg Stretching

I’m weight is fine, I just don’t want to leave that to chance. One more day of this before we leave.

You’re set up for a strong meet. Good luck Crippler.

Good luck to you this week. I will try to tune in at work and watch you. I know it’s crazy, but it’s not unusual for me to set a computer to a livestream and watch while I work.

Thank you Dave. The nerves are setting in right now.

11/14/16

Treadmill:
45 minutes / 650 calories

That’s it, that’s all. Since our son gets or of college for Thanksgiving break on Friday we are flying out of an airport a long way from home. His school is on the way home, so it would make for less driving on Friday. The downside is a three hour drive tomorrow and we will probably leave at 4:00 AM or so. It’s all for the kids…

Thanks Snap there will be some really strong people there all week.

Well if you’re going there will certainly be some strong people there. Good luck.

Well . . . How did it go? I’m sorry I was not able to tune in to the livestream. Been a busy week.

How did it go X2; watched a bit when able, didn’t catch you. Did see a few big lifters for sure.

Let us know, when you can!

Z

I went from feeling like I won the Super Bowl, to a little down, to just okay.

My wife and I got up at 3:45 AM to make the three and a half hour drive to the airport. There is an airport 20 minutes from our house but making the drive to Spokane would make picking up our son better on Friday. We had two pretty good flights and arrived in Vegas at 2:30. After checking in at the hotel and I weighed in. There were no issues and I ate a huge burger after.

The meet was running behind the next day and I benched at around 10:30. I opened at 368. The set up was good and I came up strong. I got two white lights. I’m still not sure where the red light came from, but whatever. I then went for 402. 400 in a meet has been my enemy for two years. I have never been able to do it. It was my one goal going in. I had a great lift off, and the bar came down well. It seemed to sit on my chest for an hour, but it was probably a second or less. I felt I came up well and I was able to lock out. I looked up and saw three white lights!!! I then let out a pretty loud yell. Everyone must have known how important it was to me. Everyone was telling me what a good lift it was. I then went for 424. When I got the lift off, I felt really unsteady. In fact it felt like it might fall on my face. I felt like I was loosing control so I reracked the bar. They offered me another shot, but I called it good. I got what I came for. Looking back I probably should have done it anyway, but I doubt it would have been good.

I changed and felt like I was walking on air. I finally was able to nail 400 in a meet. I set a law / fire state record in the process and won my division.

From there my wife and I had lunch. I ate some pasta and attempted to rest. The meet was stilling running behind and I had deadlift at around 4:00.

My opener was 468. I really was not feeling it during warmups for some reason. There were some crazy strong guys there, though. I pulled the bar well and was able to lock out. Three white lights. I next went to 501. I felt my back stiffen but not enough to cause any worries. I walked up and attempted to pull. For some reason I was only able to clear the floor only. I stayed at 501. My goal for the meet was 524 but 501 would break my state record for push / pull. I sat in a chair and mind f#&@&ed myself. I walked up the bar and it did not move. I was totally dejected at that point.

Due to the fact no one else was in my dead or push / pull division I took two more gold metals. Normally I would not be too proud of that, but in a way I am. I worked hard to get there, but there is still work to be done. Somehow my deadlift went from a meet PR of 545 last year to 468 at this meet. I need to figure out what went wrong. I can only blame injuries and illness to a small degree. I’m thinking of pulling while doing everything from a deficit this winter. 424 will be my goal for the next meet, and hopefully 450 in year.

After the meet we went out and ate and drank. We stayed an extra day and enjoyed Las Vegas. As much as leaving real early on Tuesday sucked, we were right. It was nice to land in Spokane and then drive only an hour to pick up the boy for Thanksgiving break. We only had to drive four hours as compared to seven if we would have flown from home.

11/19/16

Poundstone curls:

DB Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 50

Concentration Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 35

Cable Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 80

Rope PD:
4 sets x 15 reps x 95

Cable Extensions:
4 sets x 12 reps x 80

Kickbacks:
4 sets x 12 reps x 40

I’m still a little beat up, and I only came in to see my buddies.

Congratulations on hitting 400+ at the meet. What did you weigh in at and what kind of bench shirt were you using?

Wow, that’s awesome!! 400+ for the law/fire records has serious bragging rights behind it too.

I’ll call that a big win, for the O-35 club! Good for you man.

Z.

Congrats on your meet results. Now you get to defend the law/fire record you set.

Congratulations on hitting your bench goal. I’m sure you’ll figure out how to pull larger poundage soon.

great meet!
good work getting past 400.
dont stress about your pulls.
enjoy your family and have a good thanks giving.

Thanks everyone. The highs and lows of our sport is what keeps me coming back for more. That and I hate running, I can’t play tennis, and my golf game sucks. Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

11/24/16

Bench:
135 x 10, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 245 x 1, 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 335 x 2, 255 x 5

Crossover:
4 sets x 10 reps x 50

Floor Press (Smith Machine):
225 x 10, 245 x 10, 275 x 10, 295 x 10

Push Ups:
4 sets x 10 reps

The place was packed for Thanksgiving morning. I backed the weight off my bench to reset for winter training. I have made 425 my goal for next season.

Due to a ton of people at the gym I had to change up what I had planned. Therefore I hit floor presses from the Smith Machine.

Hopefully the week off will heal me up. My back was really bad for a few days after the meet. It is feeling mostly better now.

Again, have a happy Thanksgiving and God bless.

Glad you’re feeling better. Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy belated Thanksgiving. Yesterday’s food fest surely fit right in for post meet feeding.

Feel free to post photo(s) of your trophy/medal stuff from the meet.

Thank you. I’ll post some photos next week.

11/25/16

Squats:
135 x 10, 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 1, 365 x 3, 405 x 3, 425 x 3, 315 x 10

Leg Extensions:
4 sets x 10 reps x 170

Treadmill:
30 minutes / 170 calories

This was my first squat day since September 5th. I was a little worried since it had been so long, and my back was not 100%. Of course I cut back on the weight. I also concentrated on form, by keeping my chest out and head up. My back feels none the worse for wear.