Old Guy Strength

Biker, you may sucker me into trying this. I’ll hold off, however, until after the meet.

10/31/16

Tate Press:
4 sets x 15 reps x 45

One Arm Extensions:
4 sets x 15 reps x 40

Kickbacks:
4 sets x 15 reps x 35

Cable Extensions:
4 sets x 20 reps x 90

Poundstone Curls:

DB Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 50

Reverse DB Curls:
4 sets x 15 reps x 30

DB Preacher Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 30

Treadmill:
20 min. / 201 calories

17 days to go. I’m going to take tomorrow off so that I can be 100% for deadlift on Wednesday. Depending on things go, it may be my final day pulling. It’s dad’s weekend at my son’s college, so my final heavy bench will be Monday. I feel like I have overcome my injuries and illness. There is nothing left to do but wait…

11/1/16

With a day off from work, I could not stay away from the gym. I had to promise my buddy not to do anything “crazy.” Therefore today was stretching, and very light cardio.

Shoulder Stretches

Treadmill:
30 min. / 191 calories

More Stretching

100 Crunches

I did just enough to break a sweat. I should be 100% for deads tomorrow.

11/2/16

Deadlift:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 315 x 1, 460 x 1, 500 x 1, 500 x 0, 455 x 1, 405 x 3, 315 x 5

Leg Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 125

This has been the worst meet set up I have had in my five years of competing. I am way more confident in my bench at this point. Between night shift, injuries, illness and whatever else I don’t know what to blame this on. There is no doubt I was stronger a month ago.

Today I felt good on my warm ups. The bar felt light. I plan on opening around 460, and that went up easy. I would like for 500 to be my next left. Today I got it to my knees before I lost my grip. I dropped the bar, threw my belt and stomped around for two or three minutes. I then tried it again, but just cleared the floor. I dropped to 455 and that was easy again.

To make matters worse one of my friends said, “You had 500. Why did you let go?” I wish I knew. I guess at the meet I will keep my opener and then see how it feels. I am confident on a couple regards. I’ll be jacked up, there will be a better bar, and I won’t have to pull from the pads.

Better to have a grip slip now than at the meet. You’re gonna do great, already have.

I don’t think I know of anyone who had a grip fail and then get the same weight back up so soon afterwards.

If I may make a suggestion. Maybe back off the ACVinegar. Old studies have shown it has an effect on conective tissue, and I believe this is something new you have introduced this time. Just a thought. :wink:

Who knows, I’ll give it a shot. My use has been hit and miss lately anyway. This is the first time I am way more confident in my bench than my DL.

Catching up here, and I’m going with: 17 days to FULLY recover from injury, night shift, and all the tough training. You do your last ‘heavy’ work, recover, stay sharp with technique…Eat and Sleep:)
You know, that boring crap that we (I) do at the end, going into the meet. Accumulate all the strength you’ve built, then Express that strength, to the Max, on Meet day.

I’ve forgotten, are you close, or not caring, about weight class this go-around??

Just wondering;
Train (and Rest) Hard!

Z

Thanks for the words Z. Weight is not an issue at all. Since I am leaving town this weekend, I have heavy bench Monday. That will be my last heavy day doing anything. The plan is stretch and cardio. The good news is I am taking some vacation days, so I will be off work a week before the meet.

11/7/16

Bench:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 3, 370 x 1, 405 x 1, 425 x 1

10 days out, and this was the last heavy bench. Everything was clean. Also on the plus side I work tonight and tomorrow night and then I am off for two weeks. I should be plenty rested and my sleep schedule will be fine.

We spent the weekend with my son at college. We had a great time and saw Washington State destroy Arizona. I tried to eat the best I could. I think it turned out pretty good.

I plan on using the next 10 days to stretch, do light weights and some cardio.

Sounds like a solid pre meet plan Crippler. I wouldn’t worry about the missed Deads too much.

I have had the same thing happen on deads leading into a meet several times. If I’m healthy deads are always there on meet day as it seems to be the one lift adrenalin gives you a major boost on.

Benching seems to be going great. Looking forward to seeing your meet results.

Thanks Dave. The waiting now begins.

11/10/16

Treadmill:
40 min. / 498 calories

Seated Leg Press:
4 sets x 10 reps x 400

Laying Leg Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 110

Leg Extensions:
4 sets x 10 reps x 150

Shoulder Stretches

Six days to go. I had some bad news at work yesterday. My promotion might be no more due to civil service rules. I was stressed last night and barely slept, so getting a good sweat in was a good thing.

Today was cardio and light legs. Tomorrow will be cardio and triceps and biceps. I’ll stop any lifting at that point.

11/11/16

Treadmill:
40 minutes / 511 calories

One Arm Extensions:
4 sets x 10 reps x 40

Kickbacks:
4 sets x 12 reps x 40

Cable Extensions:
4 sets x 15 reps x 100

Straight Bar PD:
4 sets x 20 reps x 115

Poundstone Curls:

BB Curls (small bar):
4 sets x 15 reps x 50

That’s it. No more lifting until the meet next Wednesday. I now dedicate myself to cardio, stretching and sleep.

Hope you smash metal at your meet. Kick ass!

Oh dang, just a few more days…

Looking strong, feeling good; all the best coming up.

Leave it all on the platform !!

Z

Thanks fellas. I wish it was today. I feel really good right now.

11/12/16

Shoulder Stretches

Treadmill:
45 minutes / 637 calories

Random Stretching

I’m just waiting. There will be link to watch all six days of the meet if anyone is interested. I’ll post it before I go. It’s a really great feature.

I’ll bet you do:) Thanks for the link coming also.

http://www.mainstreamnetwork.com/watch/viewer.asp?station=mssports

Above is the link to the WABDL World Championships. The meet runs from Tuesday (11/15) through Saturday. I’m up Wednesday. At this point I am lifting at 9:45 and 3:15. That of course is subject to change. In any event its something good to watch on any of those days.

1 Like

Time to throw down the gauntlet.