T Nation

All in the Family

Im at my parents house watching All in the family. If this show was around today, it would be boycotted to no end by pc jiberals. Alot of the jokes made by Archie Bunker would give liberals strokes. Like when Archie Bunker said “theres no such thing as a colored fag”. But they were just jokes and alot of them were funny. Another thing pc jas ruined.

Or anothw=er when meathead said “why do you think its so hard for a black student to become a doctor” and Archie said “Because no one wants to see a black guy coming at them with a knife”

His character was supposed to be one of an obnoxious buffoon.

You know that they wrote it that way, right?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

Im just pointing out how much things are censored noe compared to then. The only “comedy” allowed is anything that may not offend any group.

The majority of complaints about television come from conservative Christian and right wing groups like the American Family Association and the Parents Television Council. Not “pc jiberals” or liberals. It’s conservatives like your parents (who I suspect you parrot) that complain about television programming.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Or anothw=er when meathead said “why do you think its so hard for a black student to become a doctor” and Archie said “Because no one wants to see a black guy coming at them with a knife”[/quote]

holy shit thats hilarious! makes me feel deliciously guilty

I like how HH intentionally misspells words to further make his alter ego seem more believable.

I always loved how that show could entertain completely and most of the time the whole episode took place in the living room and maybe the kitchen.
Kind of like Cheers, which always took place in the same place…I just can’t remember where.

Great show…very much ahead of it’s time but also occurred at a time when much of the groups potentially offended didn’t have as much traction as they do today (gays in particular). In addition, the actor playing Archie did so in such a way as he was a ignorantly harmless - his character had no venom, only his own ignorance - which in the end almost made him endearing.

He gave Jefferson a hard time, but he still allowed him in his social circle. He was sexist, but still loved his wife and daughter dearly. In other words, although ignorant, he was redeemable on some level.

But I agree, the show could not exist today - unless of course it was a minority character taking umbrage with whites.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:
The majority of complaints about television come from conservative Christian and right wing groups like the American Family Association and the Parents Television Council. Not “pc jiberals” or liberals. It’s conservatives like your parents (who I suspect you parrot) that complain about television programming.
[/quote]

Interesting. If you could just source this ridiculous claim and wanton swipe at “conservative Christian groups,etc.”, that would be great.

I mean, maybe it’s true, but the AFA wasn’t even founded until the late 70’s toward the end of All in the Family’s airing, and PTC wasn’t even founded until 1995-- 13 years after AitF went off the air, so your claim, until proven smells of pig shit.

Incidentally, I know nothing about these groups, except for the approximately 50 seconds it took to research their history.

Clip11 - The premise of this thread is ridiculous as well. The whole cast of All in the Family, as well as the writer are flaming PC liberals. Mike Strahan’s new show on FOX has a character that’s pretty obviously based on Archie Bunker. Nobody’s beating the door down to protest that show (although it could use some better writing).

This whole thread is FAIL.

I did mean liberals in my previous post, I hit the j key by accident.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Interesting. If you could just source this ridiculous claim and wanton swipe at “conservative Christian groups,etc.”, that would be great.

I mean, maybe it’s true, but the AFA wasn’t even founded until the late 70’s toward the end of All in the Family’s airing, and PTC wasn’t even founded until 1995-- 13 years after AitF went off the air, so your claim, until proven smells of pig shit.

Incidentally, I know nothing about these groups, except for the approximately 50 seconds it took to research their history.

Clip11 - The premise of this thread is ridiculous as well. The whole cast of All in the Family, as well as the writer are flaming PC liberals. Mike Strahan’s new show on FOX has a character that’s pretty obviously based on Archie Bunker. Nobody’s beating the door down to protest that show (although it could use some better writing).

This whole thread is FAIL.[/quote]

I love it when stupid threads get smashed down by those who choose to point out flaws with intelligence. Thank you/that is all.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

.[/quote]

Well I can’t comment on overall % or sources of complaints but [I]it appears[/] the PTC can mobilize when they want. Below is a section of the quarterly report the FCC releases on complaints (Page 11) http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-293273A1.pdf

------------------------------------------ January February March Quarter Totals
Radio and Television Broadcasting
Programming - General Criticism----- 83 148 234 465
Digital Television Issues------------- 494 399 296 1,189
Other Programming Issues------------ 510 248 676 1,434
Carrier Marketing & Advertising------- 55 4,298 37 4,390
Programming - Indecency/Obscenity**- 578 505 179,997 181,080

I saw this article http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/09/did-the-family-guy-cause-a-jump-in-fcc-indecency-complaints.ars

and when I followed the links to the above and the PTC website they are, shit the PTC even files out the complaint for you. You only have to add your Name/address/etc
https://www.parentstv.org/ptc/action/familyguy/main.asp

I can’t be bothered to look any further, this was depressing enough.

I agree on your overall conclusion of total thread fail.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
.[/quote]

Damn that’s good!

Now do one of him as a bodybuilder! haha

Back then, censorship was evil and violated our First Amendment rights. Now, polital correctness is good and protects our First Amendment rights. PC is censorship with a new name, and Freedom of Expression is only allowed if it’s not controversial. Hey, it’s for our own good. The Thought Police don’t want to offend anybody with the truth.

Hand jobbin it to Sally Struthers was hot back in the day.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Back then, censorship was evil and violated our First Amendment rights. Now, polital correctness is good and protects our First Amendment rights. PC is censorship with a new name, and Freedom of Expression is only allowed if it’s not controversial. Hey, it’s for our own good. The Thought Police don’t want to offend anybody with the truth. [/quote]

You got that right momma. Couldn’t have said it any better.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Back then, censorship was evil and violated our First Amendment rights. Now, polital correctness is good and protects our First Amendment rights. PC is censorship with a new name, and Freedom of Expression is only allowed if it’s not controversial. Hey, it’s for our own good. The Thought Police don’t want to offend anybody with the truth. [/quote]

This is right on. These days people think they should be guaranteed not to be offended if they turn on the TV, Radio or browse the internet.

[quote]clip11 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

Im just pointing out how much things are censored noe compared to then. The only “comedy” allowed is anything that may not offend any group.[/quote]

DAT’S WHAT I WAS TELLIN’ YOU BEFORE!