T Nation

All Hail the Mighty Curcumin

Don't know if you folks have seen this, but a new study just out showing another of Curcumin's myriad of health benefits

Crib Notes:

Using a version of Curcumin that has been modified so that it can pass the blood-brain barrier, researchers showed that it can repair some of the signalling pathways that can lead to ongoing damage after someone has suffered a stroke.

Data are from animal trials, with human planned in the future.

That is all.

I have been through 1 bottle (4 caps a day) and onto my second bottle and haven't noticed anything but I'm trusting I'm still getting some positive benefits from it whether I feel them or not; I probably won't buy anymore.

Very interesting news on something that's really been around for a while, and it seems in just the last few years, we've found uses for it. Personally, I started throwing it in with my fish oils about a year ago, and it's become the part of my daily supplement program that I don't mess with. To still be training, as hard as I do, after all the joints 'issues' I've had over the years, no one ever needs to convince me that it's a worthwhile investment (and pretty cheap considering).

does anybody know could grapefruit be somehow useful to help curcumin pass the blood-brain barrier?

I've been looking into getting some over here in the UK, largely to get my stepdad onto it because he has all manner of issues that I think Curcumin could help remediate.

The only problem is, none of the UK-based product is of the same quality as the Biotest stuff (with respect to added Piperine to aid bioavailability). In turn I'm not sure I can convince him to shell out for imported Biotest goodness on a regular basis, nor can I afford to provide it for him, or myself. Sad face.

So if anyone hears of a viable UK alternative to the Biotest magic, or a Biotest importer that isn't a bandit masquerading as an online retailer, then I'm all ears.

I misread what I quoted, but will include the link I provided b/c it's relevant to our discussion: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9619120