T Nation

All Day Work Out

Here’s a question. I have my “gym” step up in the garage so it’s always close at hand. Do you guys think there would be any downside to doing a work out through out the day? For example, do 3 sets of squats then a load of laundry, sweep the kitchen and head back out for two more sets. Or maybe do a complete set of squats and then head back out later for some work on the bench press.

I’ve read that longer rest periods are beneficial but is half an hour while I do something else too long? Would I be loosing some of the benefits? I’m purely looking to build strength so I’m not trying to raise my heart rate.

With all due respect stranger, I am not sure if this is a troll post or not. You have a gym in your garage set up for squatting and bench pressing (indicating to me that you have experience/knowledge) but you are asking a question about programming/rest intervals (common beginners forum questions). Also, the fact that you are a new poster is leading me to be cautious about responding. (If you are new here, it is common for people to make new accounts and troll.)

If you are not a troll, then I am sorry, I was confused by the combination of the aforementioned factors.

-Zep

Not sure what a troll is. I guess I asked a stupid question.

A troll is someone who intentionally says something stupid in order to instigate controversy.

And I don’t know about what way would give you better results but I would prefer to get in, do my workout, and get out all in one shot. That way I stay focused on the workout. But that’s just my personal preference, and I don’t even take my phone into the weight room with me.

“For example, do 3 sets of squats then a load of laundry, sweep the kitchen and head back out for two more sets.”

I don’t see any benefit to training like that and it seems like it would just make you perform worse. As soon as you get going you stop just long enough to lose focus and get un-warmed up? At best you’ll be wasting a lot of time warming up multiple times. (jumping cold back into a heavy set of squats, or heavy anything for that matter, just sounds like a bad idea)

For separate body parts, though, sure, you could split that into separate sessions (squats in the morning, bench later in the day)

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/604

Thanks for the link Howie. That answers all my questions.

Not a stupid question bud. Just wasn’t sure what exactly was going on. Maybe look into Bulgarian routines? I think those are something in the direction you’re looking.

-Zep