T Nation

All Blacks Training

For those who have seen them the NZ Rugby all blacks seem to have perfect body shapes virtually throughout the team.

Forgetting about any additional help (supplements or otherwise) they might be getting, it’s my understanding that when their coach Graham Henry and his two assistants took over the coaching, that they demanded their players started a new regime of strength /muscle work. More recently they have been undertaking camps to give themselves base conditioning.

Doesn anyone know anything about what kind of stuff they’re told to do in general, and/or what they are doing at their camps at the mo in terms of strength work. Because all I know is that they undertake pilates, which isn’t particularly shocking.

Thanks a Lot

I’d love to know the All Blacks’ secrets myself. In the meantime I found this article on Christian Cullen in NZ’s Muscle & Fitness at http://www.muscle-fitness.com.au/444.html. Might give you some idea.

If you get yourself over to allblacks.com there is a video of them training in the camp thats just finished. Lots of weights, sled dragging, conditioning. Good stuff.

Am really lookin forward to the WC. Im not 100% that its gonna be a kiwi win either.

Will have to wait and see.

Go to www.getstrength.com and the trainer that posts there is the crusaders trainer and i believe the all blacks trainer

[quote]jbishop wrote:
Go to www.getstrength.com and the trainer that posts there is the crusaders trainer and i believe the all blacks trainer[/quote]

Yeah his name is Ashley Jones he’s written some good articles at getsgtrength.com. Also if you look at the video archive on allblacks.com there is a video of the allblacks training where Carl Hayman squats 220kg for 3 reps, not bad for someone who doesnt train exclusively to squat.

J

As someone unfamiliar with the sport of rugby I winced in pain clicking on this thread, expecting some sort of race related flame war about to start.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
As someone unfamiliar with the sport of rugby I winced in pain clicking on this thread, expecting some sort of race related flame war about to start.[/quote]

Same here. Rather disappointed…oh well.

I’ll try and find the source but i found this weekly schedual somewhere
Conditioning window
Richie McCaw’s week
A typical week for the All Black captain
Monday Morning Speed session Afternoon Weights session, diet check
Tuesday Morning Speed, interval session on the track, Pilates (flexibility) Afternoon Weights session
Wednesday Morning Weights session Afternoon Boxing and circuits
Thursday Morning Speed session, stretch session with yoga Afternoon Weights session
Friday Morning Agility, conditioning games Afternoon Wrestling, strong-man circuit
Four days per week skills sessions tagged on, ball work etc
ie

also a few video interviews with some of the players on allblacks.com where they dicuss their training

just to add I would love to know what the current 22 elite all blacks were doing in their conditioning break.

School’s out on whether it was worth it after so many got injured this weekend.

Oh and any reference to Christian Cullen is out of date - he’s been playing for Munster for years and is now slightly more chubby and a lot less rapid as he was in his prime.

[quote]bluebear wrote:
just to add I would love to know what the current 22 elite all blacks were doing in their conditioning break.
[/quote]

A PR excercise by the looks of it.

Are we now to believe that they are super fit, know one else has their knowledge or worth ethic?

Of course this is not true but we are being led to believe it. Sport psych rearing its head with months to go before RWC 07.

Looks like they may be recovering still as no player from that squad were in form on the last weekend.

www.getstrength.com/training/ash-Rugby-Specific-Training

I think it involves sheep…
…and a lonely hillside…

(DUCKS)