All Around Bar for Oly Lifts & DL/Squat

Id like to buy a bar for Olympic lifting aswell as dead/squat, if possible id like to find an all around bar that i could do olympic, deadlifts and squat. I dont know about weight tho so id enjoy feedback and knowledge.
Thanks

-Sam

Since you live in the states id say go with the pendlay nexgen Bearing bar. I got one and its a good unit. Spins like a dream and the knurling feels nice and grippy, not greasy like the eliekos. also it doesnt cost 1 arm + 1 leg +700EUD.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Since you live in the states id say go with the pendlay nexgen Bearing bar. I got one and its a good unit. Spins like a dream and the knurling feels nice and grippy, not greasy like the eliekos. also it doesnt cost 1 arm + 1 leg +700EUD.

-chris[/quote]

Is the nexgen bar the all around or would i hav to buy anothr for squats n deadlifts, also if i went with the nexgen, what do you recomend plates or bumpers, what is the difference between them?

[quote]SamTheMan wrote:

[quote]Avocado wrote:

-chris[/quote]

Is the nexgen bar the all around or would i hav to buy anothr for squats n deadlifts, also if i went with the nexgen, what do you recomend plates or bumpers, what is the difference between them?[/quote]

You definitely need to buy bumper plates not metal or rubber ones.

The difference is they won’t break into little pieces when you drop them a few times…
They will also save the platform a lot more.

You would be fine to use the nexgen bar for squatting and deadlifting too. Puts the bar under far less strain than the olympic lifts do so you don’t have to worry about that.

yeah the bar is good for squats and DL’s etc. Just pad your squat rack so the bar doesnt contact metal or it’ll fuck up the knurling.

I’ve had good times with the econo bumpers from pendlay @ muscledriverusa.com

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
yeah the bar is good for squats and DL’s etc. Just pad your squat rack so the bar doesnt contact metal or it’ll fuck up the knurling.

I’ve had good times with the econo bumpers from pendlay @ muscledriverusa.com

-chris[/quote]

Any advice on how to go about padding a rack?

depends on what your hooks and safeties look like. If they are straight bar then you can just throw some rubber 1/2" thick hose around them and epoxy some to the hit plate. If they are other kinds then you basically just tied the rubber hosing around it. Pretty easy.

A mate of mine dipped the landing hooks of his rack in Rubber and now they are quite nice now. Some rack come with nice non-metal coated hooks.

-chris

I’ve got the first generation Pendlay and it’s a sweet bar but I just picked up a Zhangkong from Iron Woody Fitness and I have to admit that I love this bar the knurling is beautiful and it has a nice spin and rollover when lifting. They advertise it for $599 but they just had it on sale and when I sent them an email they said they’d sell it to me for $460 total with shipping. All in all a pretty good deal.

I’ve got the first generation Pendlay and it’s a sweet bar but I just picked up a Zhangkong from Iron Woody Fitness and I have to admit that I love this bar the knurling is beautiful and it has a nice spin and rollover when lifting. They advertise it for $599 but they just had it on sale and when I sent them an email they said they’d sell it to me for $460 total with shipping. All in all a pretty good deal.

I’ve had a ZhangKong comp bar for about 7 yeas now, and it spins perfectly. The knurling can be a bit smooth on hot and humid days in the garage, but I love it. I think it whips even better than the Eleiko and Werk-San comp bar at our local club. I got mine for a little less than $500 when Glenn was selling them (about 03 or 04 abouts).

[quote]texmac wrote:
I’ve got the first generation Pendlay and it’s a sweet bar but I just picked up a Zhangkong from Iron Woody Fitness and I have to admit that I love this bar the knurling is beautiful and it has a nice spin and rollover when lifting. They advertise it for $599 but they just had it on sale and when I sent them an email they said they’d sell it to me for $460 total with shipping. All in all a pretty good deal.[/quote]

How were you able to swing that? What did you say to them?