T Nation

Alka Seltzer? and Smart Balance?

What do you think about alka seltzer? Good/bad?
I think it definetly has its place but I have heard some people denounce it. I only go by good reasoning either way though.

Smart balance has put out products advertising added amounts of good fat. Most of which seems to come from flax seed but they are very vague and evasive about it. I dont know how they are adding it or if it is only flax but that aside.

An interesting question is if it is better to go with smart balance mayonaise at 4.5g of fat with a questionable amount of that being good fat, or to go with a leaner 1.5 g of fat with miracle whip lite that doesnt have the good fat.

Personally I feel like we all should try for as much good fat as we can get, though the amount of flax seed should be limited due to its ‘possible affect’ on the male prostate. So depending on where and how they are adding this fat makes a big difference.

If you have good reasons feel free to post them, and disagree with me if thats what you think.

Or if you know how and what smart balance is putting in there. Idk, maybe you work there. Let me know.

Heck, even if you know of a place that sells mayonaise and peanut butter that is outstanding in taste and content. Let me know.
Thanks

How about you cut out all that garbage entirely? There’s no reason why you need to be eating mayonaise, miracle whip, or even PB to get your “good fat”. Olive oil, fish, and nuts should be sufficient.

[quote]adam.rees wrote:
An interesting question is if it is better to go with smart balance mayonaise at 4.5g of fat with a questionable amount of that being good fat, or to go with a leaner 1.5 g of fat with miracle whip lite that doesnt have the good fat.
[/quote]

“Interesting”??? Since when did simply eating healthier become fucking rocket science?

aaaand, maybe I missed something but, WTF does this have to with martial arts?

Oops. Sorry for the post in the incorrect place.

Good call on the nuts, olive oil, and fish. Im coming from the stand point of getting as much good fat as possible.

And I like peanut butter, so do my clients. Im interested in what you think. Thanks for sharing though. I still think making the best choice is important though. Im OCD in needing a reason to go one way or the other.

And also, I get your point, its not rocket sceince but one could also argue that rocket science is more understood than how food affects the body.

[quote]adam.rees wrote:
Oops. Sorry for the post in the incorrect place.
[/quote]

No worries, shit happens.

[quote]adam.rees wrote:
And also, I get your point, its not rocket sceince but one could also argue that rocket science is more understood than how food affects the body.
[/quote]

Sure, we know less about exactly HOW the human body is affected by the food we eat, because we didn’t build it from scratch. We do know what works though, and I haven’t heard of many people having phenomenal success with bullshit mayonnaise and smart balance bars. Just sayin’…

Forgot to mention avacados, one of my favorite foods. There really is no middle ground when it comes to stuff like mayonaise and miracle whip. It’s all garbage and none of it will help you with your fitness goals.

[quote]daneq wrote:
adam.rees wrote:
Oops. Sorry for the post in the incorrect place.

No worries, shit happens.

adam.rees wrote:
And also, I get your point, its not rocket sceince but one could also argue that rocket science is more understood than how food affects the body.

Sure, we know less about exactly HOW the human body is affected by the food we eat, because we didn’t build it from scratch. We do know what works though, and I haven’t heard of many people having phenomenal success with bullshit mayonnaise and smart balance bars. Just sayin’…
[/quote]

Well put.

If you alotted yourself one cheat meal a week. and you wanted it to be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Would you pick extra good fat over less bad?

[quote]adam.rees wrote:
If you alotted yourself one cheat meal a week. and you wanted it to be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Would you pick extra good fat over less bad?[/quote]

You’re worrying about minutia.

If you want faster progress, don’t cheat.

If you’re going to have a cheat meal, make it a real cheat meal and don’t obsess whether it’s healthy. The whole point of a cheat meal is to have one feeding to have whatever you want.

there is no reason to eat margarine over butter unless you still believe that saturated fat = death

Smart Balance Omega-3 contains mostly palm, soybean, canola, fish, flax, and olive oil, plus some monoglycerides, additives, and junk.

One TBSP contains 32 mg of EPA+DHA, which is really a negligible amount.

It’s not like people need more palm or soybean oil in their diets either.

For what little might be good in this stuff (olive, fish; canola’s OK) you pay a lot of money and get a bunch of additives.

Personally if I need to butter something, I’m going to use real butter, and with my meal I’ll usually get about 2500 mg EPA+DHA from a highly concentrated fish oil supplement.

For the question, Should I eat less bad stuff OR more good stuff – there’s no logical reason why you should have to choose one or the other. I can’t see a real-life situation that would force a choice.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Smart Balance Omega-3 contains mostly palm, soybean, canola, fish, flax, and olive oil, plus some monoglycerides, additives, and junk.

One TBSP contains 32 mg of EPA+DHA, which is really a negligible amount.

It’s not like people need more palm or soybean oil in their diets either.

For what little might be good in this stuff (olive, fish; canola’s OK) you pay a lot of money and get a bunch of additives.

Personally if I need to butter something, I’m going to use real butter, and with my meal I’ll usually get about 2500 mg EPA+DHA from a highly concentrated fish oil supplement.

For the question, Should I eat less bad stuff OR more good stuff – there’s no logical reason why you should have to choose one or the other. I can’t see a real-life situation that would force a choice.[/quote]

Great thread, thanks alot. Thats what I was wanting. Thanks for the heads up and sharing it. Couldnt agree more.