T Nation

Alitutude Depth Jumps

I’ve been reading alot lately about altitude depth jumps where you drop off a box and explode back up. My question is pretty much this, say you are doing a push-up when you drop down do you absorb the impact and immediately try to rebound up or do you catch, perform the rest of the eccentric and then try and explode up. In other words, whats the range of motion for these?
Thanks

OSO9050,

It depends on the individual. The basic principle is you want to absorb as much energy as possible whilst avoiding as much of a vibration feeling through your limbs as possible. Athletes with less power absorption capacities will need a longer eccentric phase before transitioning-out.

Ultimately you want to increase your ability to drop from a higher box, absorb more energy through a shorter stroke(increase power absorption), and achieve a higher reactive height.

Peace,
Brad

Explode back up, dont let yourself sink. If your body sinks, then you are not strong enough.

Barbender242,

Could you clarify your post, please? How would someone perform a depth jump/push-up without any “sinking” at all?

And isn’t it the more powerful athletes not the stronger athletes that are going to have the shortest coupling times? Anyone have video links to a powerlifter or bodybuilder performing plyometric jumps versus a sprinter or jumper performing plyometric jumps?

Peace,
Brad

You should go down as little as possible. About a 1/4 of the range on press ups. If you cannot go less than this you should lower the box height. Remember the faster the transition from eccentric to concentric the more explosive that subsequent concentric will be.

[quote]creed wrote:
Remember the faster the transition from eccentric to concentric the more explosive that subsequent concentric will be.[/quote]

Not if it creates more power than you can absorb. :slight_smile: In strength training I would re-phrase this…not if it creates more force than you can absorb.

In other words, a less powerful athlete will need a longer coupling time than a more powerful athlete because of the influence that power absorption has on power production.

If you use a reactive jump pad (a pad that you can step off the box, land on, then jump up and land back on to determine reactive jump height and coupling time) then I believe it will all make sense. Think of it this way: not all 30" jumpers have the same coupling times…just like not all 400 lb bench pressers perform the lift in the same manner(down stroke, coupling time, up stroke).

To clarify my previous post, I agree with Creed in that your emphasis should be on raising your power absorption numbers before your drop height value.

Peace,
Brad

Thanks for the responses as i figured that the range of motion was about 1/4 of a press emphasizing a minimal coupling time.