Alfran's Quest for Supremacy

Hello everyone,

I guess it’s time I started my own training log here, since I’ve been a member for a couple of weeks now and seen a lot of members posting their TLs and sticking to their respective programs.

I just finished the first 12 weeks of Stronglifts and I am simply amazed at how strong I am and look compared to three months ago (Not very impressive, but it’s a start).

I’ve been training on and off for the past five years or so, and have read several books and internet articles on fitness. In any case, I want to be a bodybuilder and my goal is to compete in about three years. I don’t know if that goal is realistic or not, or if I can compete sooner or if it’ll take me more time. Guess that’s part of the reason I’m here: There’s still a lot of shit I don’t know but am very eager to learn.

Ok, my numbers:

Height: 6’
Bodyweight: 286 lbs. (Started with 282 lbs).
% bodyfat: 27% (Started with 33%).

And my current strenght levels (All are 5RM, since all I’ve been doing for the past 3 months has been Stronglifts):

Back Squat: 185
Bench Press: 185
Barbell Back Row: 145
Overhead Press: 120
Deadlift: 210

I know those numbers are a bit low. The reason is I had two discal hernias a couple of years ago so I’m very VERY careful with my back (I think they’re L4-S1 and S1-S2). Rather than considering them a reason to holf back, I consider them my best friends, since they tell me when I’m fucking up my form. The squat has been my biggest challenge since I have problems hitting parallel. Funny thing is, the DL doesn’t nag my low back since I got the form right. My guess is I have some problems with hip mobility since I did a couple of hip mobility drills the past week and my low back felt so much better when squatting.

I also have a habbit of doing steady state cardio right after my workouts either on a stair master or a funny looking eliptical machine. I use the eliptical because the treadmills in my gym stop when I get on them and walk for about 5-10 minutes. Shit used to surprise me until I learned from the gym owner that those buggers have a weight limit of 250.

Ok, so now I’m done with Stronglifts and I’m moving on to a program more leaned towards BB. I’m a fan of Arnold, so since I’m too lazy to reinvent the wheel, I figured I’d start the same way he started: Following Reg Park’s routines to lay down a strong base from where I can build a winning physique. Also, I like the idea of not only looking strong but being strong as well. So after doing some research I found this article here in T-Nation:

I also need to do more mobility drills so I can improve my form on all exercises.

And inspired by that I put up the following program which I’m gonna follow for the next three months:

Train Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri.

Mon-Thu Routine (Lower Body):
Warmup (Mobility Drills and Dynamic Stretching).
Goodmornings 3x10
Front Squat 5x5
Lunges 5x5
Standing Barbell Calf Raise 5x25
Deadlift 3x5
Reverse Crunch 3x10
20 min. SS cardio.

Tue-Fri Routine (Upper Body):
Warmup (Mobility Drills and Dynamic Stretching).
Goodmornings 3x10
Bench Press 5x5
High Pull 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Reverse Crunch 3x10
20 min. SS cardio.

True to the 5X5 system, I’ll be adding 5lbs to each exercise if I can execute all five sets. If not, I stay on that weight for the next session. If on a third attempt I still fail, I’ll deload and build my way up again. I loved this technique on Stronglifts, it helped me when I plateaud on Squats and Overhead Press.

On Goodmornings I’ll be starting with an empty barbell and add 5lbs each week.

I took out the Back Squat due to my hernias nagging me lately and as per a suggestion by a personal trainer that I trust (Dude coaches the current Mr. Juarez, the best BB in town as of today) I replaced them in the program with Lunges. Figured Front Squats and Lunges would be more than enough punishment for my legs.

I’ll be starting this program next week since I’m taking this week off from training and do some deep tissue work on my glutes and legs, along with more mobility exercises to help recovery since I’m still quite banged up from last week.

My goals after the next 3 months:

Bodyweight: Don’t really care how much weight I lose, as long as I lose some.
Bodyfat: Since I lowered it 6% in three months, I think lowering it another 5-6% would be acceptable.

Frontsquat: 200+.
Calf Raise: 250+.
Deadlift: 300+.
Benchpress: 250+.
Highpull: 150+.
Overhead Press: 200+.
Barbell Row: 250+.

Current Diet:

Here is where I’m probably gonna need a shitload of tweaking. I realize I may be missing some info, but I’m just putting what I think has to be here. Any other details that I missed please ask me.

I eat the same thing almost everyday. I drink mostly water, but I do throw in the occasional can of Diet Coke:

7:30am: 4 whole egg omelette with spinach, onions and mushrooms, and a cup of coffee.

12pm: Whatever is served in the factory I work at. I have no idea the balance of this meal but I just stick to a regular sized meal.

3:30pm: Either a chicken breast or a can of tuna, with an apple or pear.

My evening meal varies if it’s training day or not.
Training day (Post workout) 8:30pm: Protein powder (50 gr. protein) with six strawberries and a cup of oatmeal.
Non-Training day 8:30pm: Chicken breast or lean meat, half a cup of mashed beans and half a cup of rice.

10pm: Chicken breast or steak with a baked potato.

With that said: Let the training begin.

November 14: (Lower body)

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
10 min. Mobility Drills and Dynamic Stretching.
3x10 45lbs Good Mornings

Front Squats:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 60lbs
3x5 75lbs
Started light because I’ve never done this exercise before. Loved the feel of it. Used a cross-armed grip and felt pretty comfortable.

Lounges:
5x5 45lbs
It’s been a loooong time since I did lounges. I did them alternating legs. I had no idea my ass could hurt like that. Hamstrings and gluted felt extremely tight. I needed a bit more stretching.

Calf Raise:
1x25 45lbs
1x25 60lbs
3x25 75lbs
It was very light, but I haven’t done any single direct calf work in a while so I figured I’d start low. Felt good, my calfs were burning after the warmup sets.

Deadlift:
1x5 130lbs
1x5 175lbs
1x5 215lbs
Fucking awesome. 97 kilos lifted off the ground. I’ve started to believe I’m the only guy that does deadlifts in my gym. Can’t wait for next thursday when I attempt 100 kilos. The powerlifter at the gym complimented me on my form and told me I could lift way more. Sorry, ego’s back home. I replied “I know, but 5lbs at a time, baby. I’ll get there”.

Reverse Crunches:
3x10

45min. steady state cardio on the elliptical. Had a heart monitor which I used to keep myself from jumping for more than 125 BPM. It was harder than I thought.

November 15: (Upper body)

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 45lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 85lbs
1x5 110lbs
3x5 135lbs
First deload I had to make on the bench press since before my last week vacation I wasn’t able to get past the 185lbs line. Backing off for now, but I’m tearing that line a new a-hole when I get to in in the next couple of weeks.

High Pull:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 60lbs
3x5 75lbs
I wasn’t able to find some safety pins for the loaded bar. I figured “Hell with it, I’ll just have to make sure the bar doesn’t tilt on the way up or down”. Made the thing more challenging, I liked it.

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 95lbs
Another damn deload on this one. This exercise is frustrating, I was sooo close to owning the 35lbs plates. Had to back off. Oh those fuckers are going down when I get to them.

Barbell Row:
1x5 85lbs
1x5 110lbs
3x5 135lbs

Reverse Crunches:
3x10

45min. steady state cardio on a new treadmill. Put it on a 7% incline and walked at a 2.7 pace. However, calfs started burning like hell. I sucked it up.

November 17 (Lower body):

5 min. treadmill 7% incline 3 mph.
3x10 45lbs Good Mornings
I remembered how tight my glutes and hams felt last monday, so I did a more mental focus on those parts when stretching along with some calf stretch because they felt a bit sore.

Front Squats:
1x5 50lbs
1x5 65lbs
3x5 80lbs
Found that sweet spot where to place the bar on my deltoids with the cross-armed grip! Made the squat much more effective. Started to feel that burn on the quads.

Lounges:
2x5 45lbs
3x5 50lbs
Had much more balance this time than last monday. I tightened my back and abs for stability and worked like a charm. Stretching worked, didn’t feel so tight on my hams and glutes this time.

Calf Raise:
1x25 55lbs
1x25 70lbs
3x25 85lbs

Deadlift:
1x5 135lbs
1x5 185lbs
1x5 225lbs
FINALLY! 100 KILOS LIFTED! I was supposed to do 220, but when I saw that it was a 45, 35, 5, 2.5 plates, I said to myself “Fuck it, I feel ready for the two 45 plates on each side!”. So I did, and so I lifted. Awesome. Will post a vid lated.

Reverse Crunches:
3x10

20min. steady state cardio on the elliptical. My cousin’s trainer recommended me to lighten up on the cardio duration because of the risk of excess cortisol. He trained the best BB in town, so he knows his shit. I’ll give it a shot this month and see how the scale and measurement tape read after a month of this.

The only bad thing about today is my mom ambushing me when I was drinking my protein shake and kidnapped me to the movies to watch the new Twilight movie. UGH!!!

November 18 (Upper Body)

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 45lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 85lbs
1x5 115lbs
3x5 140lbs

High Pull:
1x5 50lbs
1x5 65lbs
3x5 80lbs

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 100lbs

Barbell Row:
1x5 85lbs
1x5 115lbs
3x5 140lbs

Reverse Crunches:
3x10

20min. steady state cardio on a new treadmill. Incline 7% and speed 2.7 mph.

November 21 (Lower body)

5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 50lbs Good Mornings

Front Squats:
1x5 55lbs
1x5 70lbs
3x5 85lbs

Lounges:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 50lbs
3x5 55lbs

Calf Raise:
1x25 60lbs
1x25 80lbs
3x25 95lbs

Deadlift:
1x5 140lbs
1x5 185lbs
1x5 230lbs

Reverse Crunches:
3x10

I felt like shit. Had a headache when I got to the gym and was very low energy, plus the weather was frickin cold. Nonetheless I focused hard on each exercise, and turned out to be a really good workout. Since today was a mexican holiday most people took the day off and the gym wasn’t crowded. Funny thing is, energy came back when I had the bar loaded for my 230lb deadlift. Slept like a baby, from 9:30pm to 6am. Guess I had a couple of sleep hours overdue.

November 22 (Upper body)

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 50lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 90lbs
1x5 120lbs
3x5 145lbs

High Pull:
1x5 55lbs
1x5 70lbs
3x5 85lbs

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 65lbs
1x5 85lbs
3x5 105lbs

Barbell Row:
1x5 90lbs
1x5 120lbs
3x5 145lbs

Some day someone is gonna have to invent a bar that unloads itself, especially if it’s on the floor. Hehehe felt lazy to be leaning down to unload the bar, so just for the heck of it I thought “Hell, I’ll Clean it from the floor and put it in the squat rack next to the disk stations”. So I did, it was pretty easy, thought it would be harder, and it made unloading the bar way easier. I am such a lazy bastard.

Reverse Crunches:
3x10
Experimented a bit here: Lowered my knees as slowly as I could. Felt an awesome burn in all of my ab area, especially in the middle-lower part.

20min. steady state cardio on a treadmill. Incline 7% speed 2.7mph

November 29 (Upper body)

Grrrr, got fucking sick last friday and a shitload of schoolwork on monday. Skipped two workouts. Oh well, feelt fresh and completely charged.

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 55lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 95lbs
1x5 125lbs
3x5 155lbs

High Pull:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 95lbs

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 70lbs
1x5 95lbs
3x5 115lbs PR
YES! Finally owned the 35lbs plates. Next stop: the 45’s.

Barbell Row:
1x5 95lbs
1x5 125lbs
3x5 155lbs

Reverse Crunches:
2x10
1x15

20min. intervals, 5 minute warmup, 15 min with 1 min on high intensity and 2 min on medium-low. On the stairmaster.
I don’t know what the hell got over me, but the minute I saw the stairmaster and started on it, the “interval” button was calling out to me, and I just found myself pushing it. Sweated like a frickin horse. Loved it.

December 1 2011 Lower Body

5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 55lbs Good Mornings

Front Squats:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 95lbs

Lunges:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 55lbs
3x5 65lbs

Calf Raise:
1x25 70lbs
1x25 95lbs
3x25 115lbs

Deadlift:
2x5 145lbs
1x5 195lbs
1x5 240lbs
One of the trainers at my gym who is also a powerlifter with around 10 years of experience (Plus the dude DL’s over 700) and

gave me some pointers on my deadlift form: A bit wider stance, tighten ALL of my back, not just my ass and lowerback, and

KEEP my chin up at all times (This was something I was not doing, I would occasionally look down and feel my lowerback

rounding). So I did an extra light warmup set, then moved on to the others. Big difference. I think I’m also getting close to

switching to the alternate grip on the deadlift, I felt the bar almost slip on that last rep. Cool.

Reverse Crunches:
3x15

20min. steady state cardio on the elliptical.

December 2, 2011 Upper body

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 55lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 100lbs
1x5 130lbs
3x5 160lbs

High Pull:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 100lbs

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 75lbs
1x5 100lbs
3x5 120bs

Barbell Row:
1x5 100lbs
1x5 130lbs
3x5 160lbs

Reverse Crunches:
3x15

20min. steady state cardio on a treadmill. Incline 7& speed 2.7mph

December 5, 2011 Lowerbody

5 min. Stairmaster.
20 min. Mobility Drills and Dynamic Stretching.
Did a double round because it was frickin cold inside the gym! Didn’t feel loose enough after the first round so I repeated. Felt way better after.
3x10 45lbs Good Mornings

Front Squats:
1x5 60lbs
1x5 80lbs
3x5 100lbs

Lounges:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 60lbs
3x5 70lbs

Calf Raise:
1x25 75lbs
1x25 100lbs
3x25 125bs

Deadlift:
2x5 150lbs
1x5 200lbs
1x5 245lbs
Yaaaaay! I used the 100lbs plates today. The minute I saw them five months ago when I started strength training I told myself “I’m gonna use those plates before the year ends”, and yesterday I did. I think I’m gonna be considered a crazy bastard for being the only one using them. Better for me, at least I won’t be hunting down plates when the gym is full.

Reverse Crunches:
3x15

20min. steady state cardio on the treadmill. 7% incline, 2.7mph.

December 7, 2011 Upper Body

Warmup:
5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 60lbs Good Mornings

Bench Press:
1x5 100lbs
1x5 135lbs
2x5 165lbs
1x5 225lbs PR!!!
The gym trainer I had befriended at my gym finally came back from vacation. He saw me on the bench and told me after I finished my fourth set: “¿Ya terminaste de mamar? Métele los dos de 45” (Translation: You done dicking around? Load the two 45lbs plates). I was about to tell him to piss off (That’s how we get along), but I was feeling really good today, so I loaded the 45’s, asked him to spot for me… And BAM! 5 reps! This is the most I’ve ever benched in my life, feels awesome!!!

High Pull:
1x5 65lbs
1x5 85lbs
3x5 105lbs

Standing Barbell Press:
1x5 75lbs
1x5 100lbs
3x5 125lbs
I confess, I push-pressed the final three reps on the fifth set. Man did that give my shoulders a burn! I loved it!

Barbell Row:
1x5 100lbs
1x5 135lbs
3x5 165lbs

Reverse Crunches:
3x15

Skipped cardio today. Car’s at the shop and my ride had to go.

glad to see things are going well man. Why do Clean+press instead of High pull THEN seperate OHP - shit get done quicker and its more demanding. I find that cleaning each rep gives me more power for the press as well

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
glad to see things are going well man. Why do Clean+press instead of High pull THEN seperate OHP - shit get done quicker and its more demanding. I find that cleaning each rep gives me more power for the press as well[/quote]

Hey man! Thanks for posting.

You read my mind, I’m also thinking of incorporating that into my routine. It’s an awesome exercise. It’s definitely going into my routine when I’m finished with this program. I don’t want to add it now because I feel really good with my routine and I don’t want to mess with it yet. Thanks for the tip though.

December 8, 2011 Lower Body

5 min. Stairmaster.
3x10 60lbs Good Mornings

Front Squats:
1x5 90lbs
1x5 120lbs
3x5 145lbs
Today I had a great talk with a local gym trainer who I admire and respect greatly. I showed him my routine and he asked me about my weights and asked me why I was front squatting and calf raising so little. I told him because I was working on my exercise form. He checked how I did it and suggested I go for heavier weights since I got the form right. He spotted for me on the Front Squat just for safety and I felt really good with the heavier weight (45lbs heavier since last session, was quite a big jump for me).

Lounges:
1x5 45lbs
1x5 60lbs
3x5 75lbs

Calf Raise:
1x25 105lbs
1x25 140lbs
3x25 170lbs

Deadlift:
2x5 150lbs
1x5 200lbs
1x5 250lbs
Hahaha! Funny moment with this today. I had setup the bar with the 100lbs plates and was sitting there resting for a minute before attempting my set. A scrawny looking kid (5’, I guess around 50kgs), was going to do lunges and needed to move my bar a bit to make space. He thought I had loaded the 45lbs plates so he wanted to lift one end of the bar with one hand and move it. Well, instead of pulling the bar UP and moving it, he pulled HIMSELF DOWN because he wasn’t able to lift it and fell sideways next to the bar. I laughed my ass off after I made sure he was OK. Then he looked that I had the 100lbs plates loaded and was like “You gonna lift that?”. I smirked then proceeded to do my set. It amazes me how little weight people down here at Mexico are impressed with. 250lbs isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things.

Reverse Crunches:
3x15
These were hell today! My abs were very worked because of the Front Squats and doing these gave me an awesome burn.

20min. steady state cardio on the treadmill. Incline 9%, 2.0 mph.