Alfie Evans and Socialized Medicine

Yep. And when government gains that much power the only thing they remain concerned with is keeping it. We have come full circle to Alfie Evans.

1 Like

Question to the crowd, as it’s too late for me to be doing competent research and I saw a FB post. Does the family have the means to take on 100% of the expenses for the move to Italy the judge stopped?

I think the italians were going to cover that. They gave the kid Italian citizenship I believe.

3 Likes

Twenty-three-month-old Alfie Evans, passed away in a British hospital on Saturday. While the official cause of death was a degenerative brain disease, Alfie may have been murdered by the British health system and the British high court. Doctors at the hospital treating Alfie decided to remove his life support, against the wishes of Alfie’s parents. The high court not only upheld the doctors’ authority to override the parents’ wishes, it refused to allow the parents to take Alfie abroad for treatment.

In upholding the government’s authority to substitute its judgment for that of Alfie’s parents, the high court is following in the footsteps of authoritarians throughout history. Ever since Plato, supporters of big government have sought to put government in charge of raising children. The authoritarianism of a system where “experts” can override parents is underscored by a police warning that they were “monitoring” social media posts regarding Alfie.

Alfie’s case is not just an example of the dangers of allowing government to usurp parental authority or the failures of socialized medicine. It shows the logical result of the widespread acceptance of the idea that rights are mere privileges bestowed by government. It follows from this idea that rights can be taken away whenever demanded by government officials or the popular will.

Twenty-three-month-old Alfie Evans, passed away in a British hospital on Saturday. While the official cause of death was a degenerative brain disease, Alfie may have been murdered by the British health system and the British high court. Doctors at the hospital treating Alfie decided to remove his life support, against the wishes of Alfie’s parents. The high court not only upheld the doctors’ authority to override the parents’ wishes, it refused to allow the parents to take Alfie abroad for treatment.

In upholding the government’s authority to substitute its judgment for that of Alfie’s parents, the high court is following in the footsteps of authoritarians throughout history. Ever since Plato, supporters of big government have sought to put government in charge of raising children. The authoritarianism of a system where “experts” can override parents is underscored by a police warning that they were “monitoring” social media posts regarding Alfie.

Alfie’s case is not just an example of the dangers of allowing government to usurp parental authority or the failures of socialized medicine. It shows the logical result of the widespread acceptance of the idea that rights are mere privileges bestowed by government. It follows from this idea that rights can be taken away whenever demanded by government officials or the popular will.

Since rights do not come from government, government has no more legitimate authority to violate our rights than does a private individual. Thus, if an individual cannot use force to make you help others, neither can the government. If an individual cannot use force to stop you from gambling online or telling un-PC jokes, neither can the government. If an individual cannot use force to stop parents from seeking medical treatment for their child, neither can the government.

Widespread acceptance of natural rights and the principle of nonaggression that flows from natural rights is key to obtaining and maintaining a free society. Thus, educating people in the benefits of free markets, individual liberty, and a foreign policy of peace and free trade is key to protecting future Alfie Evanses, and other victims of the welfare-warfare state, as well as to restoring respect for the moral principles of liberty among a critical mass of the people.

-Ron Paul

2 Likes

Damn that’s a good clickbaity headline. You’d almost forget he was the victim of a rare neurogolical disorder.

1 Like

US has the most obese people, but not the highest rate of obesity.

Other sources also agree.

Holy shit dem pacific islands.

1 Like

download%20(2)

3 Likes

My nation is destroyed. Such a pity, I thought it had more to give.

As do I.

Excellent post, by the way. Comprehensive.

Ok. Sometimes maybe. Why is the court operating as Ward for mentally capable and loving parents? They weren’t deficient in any faculty I could see.

I don’t believe the court should act as Ward if capable next of kin are present. In this case they override them. I cannot see the social benefit here, at all.

2 Likes

Short answer no, with a but. The Charlie Gard case raised the money almost instantly via crowdfunding. I’m also not sure that the Pope’s hospital was as concerned with the remuneration as they were with getting him there.

I had only asked because there was a FB thingo talking about the single payer aspect like this where in a “normal” scenario rationing turns into “you can have this, the taxpayer just won’t pay for it.”

Doesn’t seem like that was the case here though.

Ah, understable. I shan’t wade in on single payer here, as I think there are legal reasons far outside of it that explain this horrific event.

It’s academic at this point, sadly.

Copy. Absolutely first; relatively last.

This reminded me of the Alfie story.

Government should never, ever have the ability to exert this much control. This is exactly where militias should not only exist but become active. Beyond marching. At least it’s the UK imposing these restrictions and not the US, for now.