Alexey Lovchev, Keep Your Eyes on This One

just started seein vids of him on my youtube channel of late, youtube/my computer seems to think i am very interested weightlifting, as i get theses vids sent to me all the time.

any how, anyone else heard of him? i missed him at the 2013 worlds and european championships, but if he keeps going? he did a easy 250kg clean and jerk, and this snatch FROM BLOCKS, no less, damn, he is a player or what? thoughts? comments?

here is a solid 252kg c/j at 2014 euros, he had to work some for the jerk but did anybody else notice how ridiculously easy and almost casual the clean was? that looked like his second to last warm-up for gods sake.

here is 255 in training, again with an easy clean, and some effort on the jerk.

he is not monstrously strong for a 105+ lifter, here he is busting out what seems to be judging by the effort a top set of 325kg x 3 in the squat, so he as a good base, but i have seen some superheavys front squat that, and go 800 plus in the back squat pretty routinely.

Don’t think he lifted at the Europeans last year but it was nice to see him come out strong at the Euros this year since he injured his elbow on his second attempt clean and jerk at the '13 worlds. Hopefully he can keep progressing and he and Ruslan Albegov can push each other in training, it’ll be interesting watching them compete with the young Iranian super, Moulaei, over the rest of this olympic cycle.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
ridiculously easy and almost casual the clean was?[/quote]
Be careful not to confuse fast for easy.

well said, jonty, but after the fast clean this stands up with it very fast and it appears easy. I wonder what his best in training is? seems like it has to be around 260-265?

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Don’t think he lifted at the Europeans last year but it was nice to see him come out strong at the Euros this year since he injured his elbow on his second attempt clean and jerk at the '13 worlds. Hopefully he can keep progressing and he and Ruslan Albegov can push each other in training, it’ll be interesting watching them compete with the young Iranian super, Moulaei, over the rest of this olympic cycle.

Be careful not to confuse fast for easy.[/quote]

was he a 105 or a 105+ at the 2013 worlds?

well said, jonty, but after the fast clean this stands up with it very fast and it appears easy. I wonder what his best in training is? seems like it has to be around 260-265?[/quote]
To be honest, I think you get it, my comment may have been more directed to less experienced lifters who may be reading this. That’s one of the crazy things about the lifts, oftentimes if you do them right, they look very easy. It’s also hard to say what his training max is, oftentimes it’s only a few kilos between a very pretty made lift and a missed attempt where it looks like you didn’t have a hope in hell at it.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

Be careful not to confuse fast for easy.[/quote]

was he a 105 or a 105+ at the 2013 worlds?[/quote]
He was a super, I think he’s floating around 130kg BW. To be honest it was only last year I can recall first hearing about him, not sure where he came from or what his lifting career looked like before that.

ya, i agree jonty, also, this is not geared power lifting, where a wrong adjustment in your shirt may cost you 100lbs, so yes, 5-10 kilos at this level in this sport is very significant.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

well said, jonty, but after the fast clean this stands up with it very fast and it appears easy. I wonder what his best in training is? seems like it has to be around 260-265?[/quote]
To be honest, I think you get it, my comment may have been more directed to less experienced lifters who may be reading this. That’s one of the crazy things about the lifts, oftentimes if you do them right, they look very easy. It’s also hard to say what his training max is, oftentimes it’s only a few kilos between a very pretty made lift and a missed attempt where it looks like you didn’t have a hope in hell at it.[/quote]

Seconded. I remember watching Hossein Rezazadeh burst onto the scene in the Sydney games (his last C & J is the first lift in the video linked below) and being just shocked how easy his clean looked, even in a maximal lift.

Like you said, Jonty, a very pretty made lift would often be missed with just 5 kg more on the bar.