Alex_uk: I've got more, time to give more

Reverse it: I wrote it while walking with an 80lb vest on and my fingers were going numb.

2 Likes

In spite of my smartass comments, that was kind of what I suspected.

1 Like

Always happy to help you understand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a big advocate of high frequency and I think 4 times a week is a perfectly viable option. I do that regularely for long periods of time without an issue.

@alex_uk you good?

Hey dude thanks for checking in. The bulking continues, unfortunately the lifting hasn’t! Had in laws visiting for a week, a serious fire that put me out of action for a couple of days (mixture of exhaustion and trying to make up for lost time in day job) and my day job kicking my atrophied glutes, one more week and I’m done for the year.

Going to get some training done this week no excuses. It’s funny I had a moment of just sheer overwhelmedness at the thought of going grocery shopping on Friday night - had a chat with the Mrs about it/life in general (did the shopping online then had a nap) - several elements of my life that are essential for well-being go south when I stop training. Need to stop letting things get in the way and start prioritising it.

How’s life and training with you?

6 Likes

Sorry to hear it, man, but I totally understand. I hope you’re able to get back to something sustainable quick. Sometimes we get into these busy seasons, and we have to put ourselves on the back burner a bit, and it becomes a bit of a cycle/ downward spiral.

I’m good. I changed jobs and we had to move and I’ve been gone for a couple weeks (which maybe is good, because my wife handles moving in better without me), so I hear you on not exactly being on point.

1 Like

In order to be true to my word:

I hit a deadlift day Saturday (scraping the “this week” deadline) wasn’t much to write home about, ran with the dog for conditioning (I suck at running outside), did the car deadlift simulator a la Calle Beck - thanks for the recommend @T3hPwnisher - that was an eye opener, I used the in front position so 2 inch “handles”, it’s been two days and my forearms are still wrecked. Straps (lasso) weren’t at all helpful, got up to 140kg (3 plates each side, just counting both bars as 1) and just couldn’t hold it past 1 rep, felt like my forearms were damaged, weight seemed reasonable, and then did some kB floor to overhead work with a 24kg bell, moved worse than I’d have wanted.

Today’s work:

Conditioning:
10 rounds emom.
Started off: 50kg sandbag over shoulder (SOS) X 2, 75kg SOS X 2, 4 Burpees.
Immediately dropped the Burpees as that took the entire minute. Then played catch up for the next 4 rounds, at which point I knew I wouldn’t complete without a pause, stopped the timer, had around 90 secs additional rest, carried in until final 3 rounds - then I couldn’t get the 75kg anymore (mixture of forearm and biceps getting battered and loss of explosiveness from hips) so last 3 were just 50kg X 2. Was ruined before I even began.

Gs1:
Wgpu: 3 X 3 sets
Seated axle ohp (no back support): 28.5, 38.5, 48.5 X 10
Cable crunch: 50kg X 10 X 3 sets
Air squats: 10 X 3 sets

Gs2:
Wgpu: 3 X 2 sets
Seated axle ohp (no back support): 32.5kg X 16, 9
Cable crunch: 50kg X 10 X 2 sets
Air squats: 10 X 2 sets

Shortish session, but given the fatigue carry over and detrained stat it was harder than what I’d have expected.

9 Likes

I thought I had continued eating enough to gain of at least maintain, but jumped on the scales and slipped back down, consistent training and calories are prescribed.

I made a massive chilli last night, smashed some leftovers for lunch (6 eggs on toast for breakfast) - because I’m a true Brit and this chilli contained beans (haricot, kidney and chickpeas) it went on toast. Behold my cooking talents:

This was pre cheese, I also lagged the entire thing in cheddar. It took a while to eat and now I feel ill. Dinners already in the slow cooker (cottage pie - yet another medium for cheap beef, veg and the most important food group…cheese).

2 Likes

What a coincidence, I feel ill looking at it.

5 Likes

:joy: what’s not to like?!

Wasn’t my finest culinary moment, but it tasted fine and fit in a lot of calories - thought I’d share because everyone else shares pics of their awesome food - wanted to lower the bar, no insta filters on my pics! (Barely even a functioning smart phone camera!)

2 Likes

Dude…you were SO close to nachos.

3 Likes

I approve of this message. British (student) food at its finest.

1 Like

… and you wonder why British food gets shit on…

Although, 6 eggs on toast sounds really good

1 Like

Put some beans on there too and you have my interest.

1 Like

and you wonder why British food gets shit on

According to that picture, there’s no transition

4 Likes

I shall reply to the food abuse imminently, but first I did some moving of weighted stuff:

Conditioning:
Floor to ohp with 3 6c Burpees between each set:
40kg
10, 1, 9, 2, 8, 3, 7, 4, 6, 5

55 reps overhead and 30 Burpees, all building that poverty ohp.

13 mins - way more difficult than I anticipated, fatigue carry over had a big impact.

Gs1:
KB swings: 24kg X 3 x set
Squats: 60, 100, 120, 140kg X 4
Ab rolls: 5 X 4 sets
BJJs: red X 10 X 4 sets

Gs2:
KB swings: 24kg X 3 x 2
Squats: 105kg X 9, 9
Ab rolls: 5 X 2 sets
BJJs: red X 10 X 2 sets

Top set on squats was much harder than I’d like, seriously regressed, who’d have guessed that not training seriously for months on end and not eating enough and losing a tonne of weight would make me weaker?!

I seriously struggled to get in the garage today, I have less than no desire to train, can’t describe it, I don’t even particularly care about the results right now which doesn’t help, it’s like I could not train and no one, not even me would care, so why bother - to quote a wise old dude: hevel, hevel (Hebrew word, roughly translated: like trying to grasp hold of the wind) everything is hevel.

Struggling a bit mentally as well I think, nothing serious - won’t go in to details here, but this year has been challenging, not necessarily in a bad way, but It all takes it toll. I’m on Christmas break from work, need to make sure I take advantage of the ability to catch up on rest.

8 Likes

I hope you’re getting a good break and some much needed relaxation over the holidays. If you’re ever in need of a talk you know my email.

1 Like

I can also offer sarcasm, if that’s what you’re after.

1 Like

I fear I don’t get it, mate.

1 Like