Alex_uk: I've got more, time to give more

Maybe the person I stole it from was a Sartre fan.

2 Likes

Arrogance is earned.

It was your car deadlift story and something @flipcollar said to me once about the yoke:
You just have to accept the next 20 seconds of your life are going to suck. (Or similar)

Once you accept this you don’t skip so many days. The balance shifts:
This will suck, but I want the results.

3 Likes

Great discussion as always, the choice of suffering being one between now or later not now or never is a fantastic way to look at it. I’m not at all fussed when my expiry date is but I don’t want to be an immobile slob who fails to enjoy his final years/decades because I couldn’t sweat and endure a few hours a week!

Yup totally get that, normally ohp is a lift I like more than the others, today I loathed it, there was no pleasure, but that’s ok, as long as I improve whether I enjoy it or not is immaterial.

I’ve made the right one!

Both praise and motivation, thanks pwn!

In a similar field to this discussion I watched Brian Alsruhe’s (have I mentioned I’m a fan of his before?!) video on sandbags. Firstly dude has an insane back (and infectious zeal and insane work ethic, but I’ll stop gushing there) and secondly made me realise I’ve not been giving sandbags anywhere near enough love, why? Because they suck, I hate them, but I don’t enjoy any of this crap anymore so I bought two new sandbags 50kg & 75kg so I can do now sucky training that will forge heart, soul, mind and body.

5 Likes

Good to see you find the HVIII you need to make you get it done. For me the person I become when I don’t work hard is so disgusting I have no choice but to work HARD.

3 Likes

Haha I feel you there, I might not become disgusting by getting fat, but as a life long skinny I am really not a fan of that look so get pretty disgusted with myself on that front.

On that front this morning’s weigh in - 192 up 3lb in 3 days, so the foods working. All of that will be literally just food in transit but at least I know I’m on the right path. Always new the first 15lb would be easy, just need to stay the course for the other 15lb!

2 Likes

Sandbags…
Gives me an idea. Once I hit my current goals I want to dramatically change my training style. Maybe one session a week could become backyard sandbag work. A whole new kind of suck, different stimulus, hard work.
I’ll check out the Alsruhe video you mentioned.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve already found it but for anyone else (and for the thumbnail of my back goals):

2 Likes

Did you make a bag or buy one?

Bought them (mirafit) should arrive in the next day or two ready to ramp up the misery!

2 Likes

Oh man, are you going to enjoy this.

2 Likes

Yes my version of disgusting is not really about body look it is about just generally week and unmotivated and slovenly I can become.
I recently got a sandbag too mate and have added carries to my week to mix it up and improve conditioning a little. They are a fun way to do some different work.

2 Likes

I already have a sand bag, but it’s the variable type and it’s massive, think it can take 125 or 150kg, so at the weights I’m using it for it’s really loose, so I’ve got the smaller ones to pack tight and allow me to do a bigger variety of unpleasant things, I’ll set it up at 50, 75 & 100kg gives me a lot of scope.

2 Likes

Feeling you there!

1 Like

I need to repack mine and get back after it. Lots of life stuff going on right now though, so time is in short supply. I’m sure you can appreciate.

1 Like

100% - Even silly little things like filling a sandbag can be too much when it’s adding to the already stacked day!

That said once it’s done you’ve then got a highly efficient and effective tool to torture yourself into better shape with. I reckon you should turn into the new Chong but with sandbags instead of Burpees!

1 Like

I don’t think I can grow beards like that.

1 Like

That takes years of Burpees, not sure sandbag work has the same androgenic properties.

1 Like

I like recruiting the kid into stuff like loading the sandbags, meal prep, etc. Make it a bonding experience and knock out the two birds. I make sure to let my kid know how delicious the meal was they helped me prep, or how awesome the equipment was they helped me build when I’m done training.

4 Likes

Fantastic ideas, need to do more of this, great every day bonding opportunities. Will help reinforce the training and eating side of things as well - fortunately both mine are naturally keen on athletic pursuits and they do join me in the gym from time to time so that sort of thing will just be cherry on the top - might even set them up their own sandbags!

1 Like

When mine was real little, I did this with a protein tub full of leftover playground sand. Medicine balls make great atlas stones. You can always get cheapo dumbbells and kettlebells around New Years. Great to have a small stash of equipment like that.

2 Likes