T Nation

Alex Rodriguez and Steroids

so who saw this coming, i personally never even suspected him using gear at all. This guy i work with goes how can u not tell look at the size of him his arms and forearms are huge. I really didn’t think so but maybe i just didn’t notice. I personally am a Yankee fan and don’t like a-rod because hes not a team player, hes an attention whore.

Now that he has used steriods it just seems like hes a cheater and a cock sucker with his personality.(nothing against steroids what so ever but in baseball do.) Any comments?

First off, baseball sucks.

More importantly, didn’t over a hundred other players test positive at the same time?

If this is the case, why has all the focus been on one guy?

It’s funny how some people look at baseball as if it’s sacred and are “shocked” when players test positive.

By the way, have you ever met this guy?

If not, how would you know a damn thing about his personality?

Don’t believe everything you read in the sports page.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
First off, baseball sucks.

More importantly, didn’t over a hundred other players test positive at the same time?

If this is the case, why has all the focus been on one guy?

It’s funny how some people look at baseball as if it’s sacred and are “shocked” when players test positive.[/quote]

its just the latest news every single player has there time of ridicule and hes the best right now thats why. you get paid that much and ur that good when u do something like this face it, everyone is going to be on you.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

Don’t believe everything you read in the sports page.[/quote]

i dont believe everything but its the way he presents himself, look at jeter hers an icon. A-rod acts like he couldn’t give a shit

[quote]crod266 wrote:
HK24719 wrote:

i dont believe everything but its the way he presents himself, look at jeter hers an icon. A-rod acts like he couldn’t give a shit[/quote]

And it’s a shame that A-rod is a way better player and has been known to be a much harder worker than “icon” Jeter.

Personally I think they should allow performance enhancement in sports.

Look at Tiger Woods. The guy got his eyes fixed so they are better then average now. And he plays in a game that requires great amount of depth perception. Nobody is saying he is a cheat. And he plays for millions of dollars.

Professional athletics require professional training and supplementation. AAS is not going to replace talent and ability. You think someone like Jay Cutler is going to be able to go out and hit 700 home runs in a season? I don’t think so.

Its time everyone wises up and just accepts the fact professional sports need profession supplementation.

I will never be surprised by any name linked to steroids in baseball. The only exceptions would be Aaron Miles and possibly David Eckstein… lol even then stranger things have happened.

There is no reason to believe that any less than 90% of players have used steroids at some point between 1985 and 2003. After that I’d still bet that well over 50% have been using hGH. Don’t tell me that only 100 out of 700 tested positive because we are well aware that the 2003 tests were not comprehensive of all the possible anabolic compounds available to players, not to mention the guys using (undectable) hGH.

I can understand why people are upset when they hear about guys using steroids (especially A-rod because he was “going to break the record clean”; don’t get me started on how retarded that line of thinking is because every single record is/will be influenced by PED’s (AAS, peptides, amphetimines)) but this is reality and I don’t think it’s that big of a deal anymore, now that we know that every single player in the league was using.

I do think it was smart (well smart as far effects vs. side effects go, not smart in terms of discretion) for A-rod to use Primobolan. Seems like the perfect drug for baseball players, besides growth hormone. Bonds and Palmeiro were morons for using Winstrol. Why a baseball player would want to use a drug that destroys the joints is beyond my comprehension.

The bigger issue in this whole thing is why an anonymous test was not kept anonymous. Two wrongs don’t make a right as far as cheaters go (MLB cheating the players’ trust).

[quote]dirtbag wrote:

Look at Tiger Woods. The guy got his eyes fixed so they are better then average now. And he plays in a game that requires great amount of depth perception. Nobody is saying he is a cheat. And he plays for millions of dollars.

Professional athletics require professional training and supplementation. AAS is not going to replace talent and ability. You think someone like Jay Cutler is going to be able to go out and hit 700 home runs in a season? I don’t think so.

Its time everyone wises up and just accepts the fact professional sports need profession supplementation.
[/quote]

Other than omitting the fact that they would first need to be made legal to the ordinary citizen, I agree.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
crod266 wrote:
HK24719 wrote:

i dont believe everything but its the way he presents himself, look at jeter hers an icon. A-rod acts like he couldn’t give a shit

And it’s a shame that A-rod is a way better player and has been known to be a much harder worker than “icon” Jeter.
[/quote]

Depends on the definition of a better player. Stats vs. Winning. Even in a team sport that logic applies.

How hard someone works doesn’t mean shit. If someone has the ability to sit on his ass all day then show up to the stadium at 4pm and produce why should his accomplishments mean less than someone who shows up at noon everyday but doesn’t do shit. (Not referring to arod and jeter specifically and the exaggeration is just to emphasize the point)

This also applies to two guys who have identical stats but one puts in more hours watching video and practicing compared to the other guy. Results are all that matter.

edited

[quote]dirtbag wrote:

[/quote]

Yea it would be nice if PED’s were legal (in sports) and there were educated people advising athletes on proper usage but the difference is that laser eye surgery doesn’t land you in jail.

As far as AAS replacing talent. No argument there. But from my experience as an amateur baseball player and occasion steroid user I can say that the effects can be profound. I don’t even focus my training around getting better at baseball, I train to bodybuild, and I still reap benefits. I can only imagine how a world class athlete would respond if his training was focused on sport specific improvment.

Guys wouldn’t be using if they didn’t make a huge difference.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Depends on the definition of a better player. Stats vs. Winning. Even in a team sport that logic applies.
[/quote]

So by that logic, Albert Pujols is not as good as Ryan Howard or Carlos Pena since their teams went to the World Series this year and his didn’t make the playoffs?

Not trying to highjack this thread, it just annoys me when people say that Jeter is better than ARod because of some notion that he is a “winner” when ARod is better at baseball in every conceivable way.

Who’s to say Jeter doesn’t work hard, maybe if he took roids people would be saying he was such a hard worker too.

How do people know how hard all these players or working or not working? by magazine routines? Wasn’t A-rod off boning Madonna… real hard work.

The only thing I can say about this is how everybody was calling Conseco the scum of the earth for lying about A-Rod. Is A-Rod scum too now that it’s been PROVEN he’s a liar since nobody could see the obvious before?

If I read another article by some santimonious sports writer/talking-head about how A-Rod should never be in the Hall, how he duped the public, how he’s damaged the fiber of ‘the game’, I’m going to gag. He did the work, lifted the weights, put in time the cage, the video-room, and - most importantly - he still hit the pitches. The overreation about this stuff is driving me nuts! Most of it driven by writers and TV pencil necks who’ve never had the talent to play intra-murals, much less a pro sport.

I just read where ADD drugs are now being sold on college campuses. Seems when taken by folks without ADD they increase focus and concentration. So, after the lid get’s blown off this, what do we do? Do we go back and take back all those diplomas? Do we pull people out of jobs they obtained under ‘false pretenses’? Where does this shit end?

I really don’t care anymore about all the guys who have taken or allegedly taken steroids in baseball. Only guy i want to burn down in flames is Bonds because i think he is an asshole.

I loved Caminiti when he was on the Padres in the late 90’s and he used steroids and even other drugs.

I guess it all depends if the guy admits to it or lies about it. I give guys like A-Rod and Petite credit for admiting they did it. People will forgive.

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
I just read where ADD drugs are now being sold on college campuses. Seems when taken by folks without ADD they increase focus and concentration. So, after the lid get’s blown off this, what do we do? Do we go back and take back all those diplomas? Do we pull people out of jobs they obtained under ‘false pretenses’? Where does this shit end?[/quote]

They don’t take them back, they just mark all their grades with asterisks.

I think they should have an all drug olympics, like on Saturday Night Live with Phil Hartman.

They mentioned it on ESPN sometime in the last 2 days, that if the current trend of keeping a player out of the Hall after even a hint of possible PED use, that the 5 of the top 10 home run hitters of all time, a top 5 all time pitcher(tons of debate where in that he lands), and possibly 2 of the 3 greatest offensive forces ever(depending on how A-Rod finishes his career) will not be inducted. All because of the court of public opinion, not because baseball is mandating that their stats be stricken from the books. Sports Writers are so entrenched in their nostalgic belief of the game it’s unbelievable.

Also I had no idea Winstrol was bad for joints(I haven’t boned up on my steroid knowledge yet, no plans to use for quite a long time if ever). Wonder if the positive effects of Bonds usage outweighed the playing time he lost due to having fucked up knees.

[quote]red04 wrote:
They mentioned it on ESPN sometime in the last 2 days, that if the current trend of keeping a player out of the Hall after even a hint of possible PED use, that the 5 of the top 10 home run hitters of all time, a top 5 all time pitcher(tons of debate where in that he lands), and possibly 2 of the 3 greatest offensive forces ever(depending on how A-Rod finishes his career) will not be inducted. All because of the court of public opinion, not because baseball is mandating that their stats be stricken from the books. Sports Writers are so entrenched in their nostalgic belief of the game it’s unbelievable.[/quote]

That is the difference between the MLB and the NFL. The NFL goes strictly on on field performance. The MLB form has a blank for character. Love it or hate it, that’s baseball.

There are voters in the MLB that won’t vote for players strictly because the greats weren’t unanimous votes, so they don’t think anyone should be.