Aleksander Emelianenko Boxing Match

Aleksander Emelianenko, the MMA fighter best known as the younger brother of world heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko, has been appearing in small shows around the world over the last year since failing to get medical clearance to fight in California in August of 2008. But on Saturday he tried something new: Instead of appearing on a small MMA show, he appeared on a small boxing show, fighting opponent Hizir Pliev to a four-round draw.

Video of his match is with the article:
http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/10/05/aleksander-emelianenko-tries-boxing/#cont

Aleks has so little defensive movements and seems to rely too much on his offensive abilities and combinations.
Astounding.
I guess with his self esteem, he’s also hard to coach.

He’s a very good mma fighter with good hands but that doesn’t have to mean he’s a good boxer.

Good thing Fedor has a sparring partner that is the same height as Brett Rogers in his little brother.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Aleks has so little defensive movements and seems to rely too much on his offensive abilities and combinations.
Astounding.
I guess with his self esteem, he’s also hard to coach.

He’s a very good mma fighter with good hands but that doesn’t have to mean he’s a good boxer.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s also the fact he’s used to MMA gloves where it’s a little more difficult to stop his shots like that and counter. Fedor said in his book that his philosophy for MMA is to throw shots to knock out his opponent, not to win points, and you can definitely see that in his little brother’s boxing… it’s also a philosophy that will hinder his development as a boxer if he chooses to take the sport seriously.

Hmm, I don’t know about that glove issue Nikiforos…
It is different, that’s for sure. That’s why I work more on complete slips and counters then on using the gloves in boxing.

I won’t rewatch the vid, but to me a large number of hits looked like Aleks either blocked with his head or simply wasn’t fast enough.
Fedor, on the other hand, has in my opinion better, boxing: great timing, great reflexes and frightening stopping power.

Aleks shouldn’t box with his hands so low. I bet his coach is telling him that 24/7. I think only a few boxers can get away with that.