T Nation

Alcohol with No Calories ?

i see that bacardi rum has none , what other hard liquior have the same amount ?

Uhhhh; alcohol by itself has calories; around 7.5kcals/gram (I forget the exact figure).

Being a bartender, I can assure you, there’s no such thing as alcohol with no calories.

In fact, Bacardi had a commercial out late last year, “Bacardi and Diet Coke- 0 fat, 0 carbs, 65 calories” which would be for a standard 1 1/2 oz. shot.

The really problem with alcohol is the hormonal response, from what I’ve read, much more so than the overall calorie intake.

For low calorie drunkeness, I choose vodka with sprite zero.

Alcohol is not a problem when dieting. Here’s why. Alcohol is considered a drug by many, legal as it may be it’s still looked upon as a drug by many people in various industries. For this reason it has a it’s fair share of hysteria and hegativity surrounding it.

Alcohol does have calories, but if you’re gonna drink when cutting then account for the calories in your daily intake.

Alcohol is turned into acetate in the body and your body will burn it preferrentially sp? as a carbohydrate first. So while that’s happening it’s not burning fat, well duuh, ofcourse it’s not, but the same thing will happen if you have any calorie intake in whateven form, the effect is temporary, so no biggie.

Hormonal fluctuations are also highly overstated. Low to moderate drinking will give you a boost in test. This is experienced by anyone of us who feels a surge of “must get laid” while having a drink or 2. But if you get shitfaced the effect turns quite opposite.

So i drink an odd drink or shot when cutting for the following reasons:

1. Diuretic effect
  2. Mental sanity and better sleep
  3. It’s health benefit to the cardiovascuar system, liver, kidney, etc…

The key here is small ammounts not binging. We have gotten to 4% BF before drinking here and there a few times per week in small ammounts and it was never a hinderance but a mental boost. But then again we’re European and we’re raised with a different appreciatin for alcohol.

I’m not going to argue most of your points, but the must get laid thing has Nothing to do with increased testosterone. It is simply lowered inhibition. Upper brain shuts off, muscles relax, watch girl shake ass = priapism and “need” to get laid.

[quote]pitt wrote:
I’m not going to argue most of your points, but the must get laid thing has Nothing to do with increased testosterone. It is simply lowered inhibition. Upper brain shuts off, muscles relax, watch girl shake ass = priapism and “need” to get laid.[/quote]

That’s debatable, getting horny in your mind has nothing to do with inhibitions, but displaying it does. Or maybe not. But eitherway it’s fun and harmless in moderation.

I don’t think that alcohol produces any kind of Test increase, however a very important point (and I don’t know if you realize it) is apparent in the reasons that you drink: A) Diuretic, B) Mental Sanity/Sleep, C) Health Benefit

This outlook is very different than the typical American dude, and it also means that Gregus has no reason to drink more than “the odd drink here and there”, whereas the typical American male probably drinks A) to get fucked up, B) because his friends are doing it, C) to “relieve” professional/personal stress, and depending on how stressed he is, or how much his friends are drinking, may finish 8-10 drinks in a sitting.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Naah alcohol is alcohol. BUT red wine has other anti oxidant properties.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
I don’t think that alcohol produces any kind of Test increase, however a very important point (and I don’t know if you realize it) is apparent in the reasons that you drink: A) Diuretic, B) Mental Sanity/Sleep, C) Health Benefit

This outlook is very different than the typical American dude, and it also means that Gregus has no reason to drink more than “the odd drink here and there”, whereas the typical American male probably drinks A) to get fucked up, B) because his friends are doing it, C) to “relieve” professional/personal stress, and depending on how stressed he is, or how much his friends are drinking, may finish 8-10 drinks in a sitting.[/quote]

Actually you’re right on all points. Alcohol is your best friend if you use it moderately here and there.

Cheers and here’s a cold Guiness on your behalf iron bro.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Alcohol is not a problem when dieting. Here’s why. Alcohol is considered a drug by many, legal as it may be it’s still looked upon as a drug by many people in various industries. For this reason it has a it’s fair share of hysteria and hegativity surrounding it.

Alcohol does have calories, but if you’re gonna drink when cutting then account for the calories in your daily intake.

Alcohol is turned into acetate in the body and your body will burn it preferrentially sp? as a carbohydrate first. So while that’s happening it’s not burning fat, well duuh, ofcourse it’s not, but the same thing will happen if you have any calorie intake in whateven form, the effect is temporary, so no biggie.

Hormonal fluctuations are also highly overstated. Low to moderate drinking will give you a boost in test. This is experienced by anyone of us who feels a surge of “must get laid” while having a drink or 2. But if you get shitfaced the effect turns quite opposite.

So i drink an odd drink or shot when cutting for the following reasons:

1. Diuretic effect
  2. Mental sanity and better sleep
  3. It’s health benefit to the cardiovascuar system, liver, kidney, etc…

The key here is small ammounts not binging. We have gotten to 4% BF before drinking here and there a few times per week in small ammounts and it was never a hinderance but a mental boost. But then again we’re European and we’re raised with a different appreciatin for alcohol.[/quote]

Actually it suppresses testostone levels which signals your body to put out more lutenizing hormone to help restore testostone production. If you doubt the validity of this statement read Berardi’s “The Big T”

Gregus

While I can agree with some of your observations, I do feel that these two need some clarification on your part if you are going to present them as fact.

“Hormonal flucuations are highly overstated.” Where is your references for such a statement. Everything I have read supports the notion that alcohol has adverse affects on your metabolism. How fat is stored while the body processes alcohol. Even the day after affects of even slight dehydration.

“But then again we’re European, and we’re raised with a different appreciation for alcohol.” I’m assuming as opposed to Americans. How–in any way–is that significant as to how alcohol affects or is processes by the body.

That being said, I don’t really see how a beer, wine, or drink once in a while while cutting can hurt. Unless, of course, the Mr Olympia is 2 weeks out and you’re invited.

Gregus

1. It’s health benefit to the cardiovascuar system, liver, kidney, etc…

What? Liver + alcohol = good

This is contrary to everything I have ever read, seen, heard about.

so what are diffrent liquiors with low calorie content ? what about teaquilla ?

here’s my advice…
www.foodcount.com
Plug in your food or drink and it’ll tell you the caloric value.

There’s roughly 7 calories per gram of alcohol… you’re not really going to find a “low calorie liquor”. Of course, if your goal is to get drunk without taking in too many calories, then shots or mixers with zero calorie soft drinks are best, because you’re not adding a ton of carbs. Slightly behind that are dry wines.

I saw a programme where they had a real time blood monitoring of insulin.

beer shot the response everywhere.

Vodka and diet coke…nothing.

Get on the voddie.

but not with red bull! (sugar free, maybe.)

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Gregus

While I can agree with some of your observations, I do feel that these two need some clarification on your part if you are going to present them as fact.

“Hormonal flucuations are highly overstated.” Where is your references for such a statement. Everything I have read supports the notion that alcohol has adverse affects on your metabolism. How fat is stored while the body processes alcohol. Even the day after affects of even slight dehydration.

“But then again we’re European, and we’re raised with a different appreciation for alcohol.” I’m assuming as opposed to Americans. How–in any way–is that significant as to how alcohol affects or is processes by the body.

That being said, I don’t really see how a beer, wine, or drink once in a while while cutting can hurt. Unless, of course, the Mr Olympia is 2 weeks out and you’re invited.[/quote]

Hormonal Fluctuations - this refers to the people (not studies) who are against alcohol and always make blanket statements about it (alcohol) dropping your test levels this and test levels going down that and how’s it’s totally counter productive to body building and fat loss. And i do feel that it can be couter productive and there’s truth to those things but only if you get shitfaced. 2 glasses of red wine will only benefit you health wise but if have a six pack every night it will harm you.

IT’S ALL DOSE DEPENDENT.

The European thing has to do not with the effect of alcohol betwen Europeans or Americans but attitudes concerning it’s consumption. Europeans are more apt to drink smaller ammounts more often which does not pose a problem, Americans have a tendentcy to drink to get shit faced, all or nothing mentality, this is where you get into problems with alcohol and start to suffer it’s detrimental effects.
A little alcohol here and there is like an elixir to your body that goes through it and makes everything better :slight_smile:

And based on your last paragraph we seem to agree 100%.

Cheers!

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
Gregus

1. It’s health benefit to the cardiovascuar system, liver, kidney, etc…

What? Liver + alcohol = good

This is contrary to everything I have ever read, seen, heard about.[/quote]

It’s all in the dose my friend, all in the dose.

1-2 shots = benefit.
1 bottle = detriment.

Most negative opinions on alcohol are always stated under the assumption that the ammount consumed is very large. In other words you always get the “worst case scenario”, a black or white approach.
Don’t forget the gray.