Alcohol Management?

Just wondering what is you guys opinions towards drinking and training. I love to train hard and eat as best i can. I love th feeling of being able to go to the gym and not worry that all my efforts have been put to waste because of drink i have recently had.

Of course in an ideal world, I would never drink, but its tough when all your friends do it, and its one of the best ways to meet new peeople and find girls.

Just want to know if you drink and if so how much, and how do you tie it in with training, does it effect you in the gym and your goals?

ireland? wow, that would be tough…i love guiness…

anyway, moderation…is key, i think

if i drink, it would only be if i can dedicate atleast two days to rehydration, and restoring anything i may have pissed out…

my wife is deployed, so i dont drink much anyway. it has always been more of a social thing for me… plus, as i get older, i find it harder to recover from drinking all night…

what are you training for?

if you are trying to look like Thib in that picture over there, drinking will fuck up your game

if you are trying to get stronger and/or bigger, last time i checked, alcohol had calories … so long as you don’t get hammered every night

what is it with the recent bout of “ohmygoshihadadrinkandahalfshoulditrainagainthisyearornot?!?!”

I don’t drink at all. Its either all or nothing with me. But thats just a part of who I am.

I also know people who get drunk 3 nights a week and still maintain impressive physiques and athleticism. I have a good friend who is a DII football player and he drinks and chews more than anyone I know, and he also lifts more and runs faster than anyone I know. Its all up to you and how your body responds.

I guess I’ll leave you with my personal philosophy - “If it doesn’t help you, don’t do it.”

I do believe i could stop drinking all together if i really wanted to. My brother is going to America for a year next week and he will be staying at a univeristy there, and wont be able to drink. Hes getting a load of supplements cheap and sending them over to me, so i think if he does that i might be able to train without drink at all.

For me i can drink at weekends and still hit the gym on monday, and i feel good physically, but i just mentally feel as though i have allowed myself to be weak and somehow having that in the back of my mind puts me off training sometimes… anyone else feel like that

Dude,
Dont sweat it. As long as you don’t go out and get pissed on a regular basis it shouldn’t be a problem. I quit drinking for a long time because I was seriously trying to bulk up, and do it clean. After I gained enough weight I realized after drinking that I didn’t notice a difference between when I wasn’t drinking and when I was.

Remember, moderation is the key.

Bullpup

[quote]irishpowerhouse wrote:
I do believe i could stop drinking all together if i really wanted to. My brother is going to America for a year next week and he will be staying at a univeristy there, and wont be able to drink. [/quote]

Wait a minute … your brother is going to university and this is going to STOP his drinking? Please elaborate. I was under the impression that even the non-mormons at byu snuck in a few drinks, where the hell is your brother going?

Going to college and never drinking is like going to the beach and never going into the water: Sure, sitting on the sand underneath the umbrella with a cold drink and a good book is nice, but you’re missing half the fun

Just don’t get plastered the day before you lift. That should go without saying. If you know you will be in the situation where you will drink, plan your lifting schedule accordingly. It hasn’t affected me in any way unless I got hammered.

i just finished up college, and i spent the first two years of college getting shitface 4 or 5 times a week. this is before i took up lifting. junior year i started to get more serious about training and cut back the drinking to weekends only.

then senior year i cut it to maybe once or twice every two weeks. its a hard change to make, but after a while you see that you dont need to get shitfaced to have fun. also, i made my biggest gains when i cut back.

now i rarely drink becuz bodybuilding is more important to me. a drink here and there wont hurt your progress but you need to figure out which one is MORE important. by the way, drinking does not help you pick up girls, being ripped helps out a lot more.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
irishpowerhouse wrote:
I do believe i could stop drinking all together if i really wanted to. My brother is going to America for a year next week and he will be staying at a univeristy there, and wont be able to drink.

Wait a minute … your brother is going to university and this is going to STOP his drinking? Please elaborate. I was under the impression that even the non-mormons at byu snuck in a few drinks, where the hell is your brother going?

Going to college and never drinking is like going to the beach and never going into the water: Sure, sitting on the sand underneath the umbrella with a cold drink and a good book is nice, but you’re missing half the fun

[/quote]

He will drink probably but compared to what we drink over here it wont be as much. Hes living on the campus and hes trying to get take training more seriously and make use of the free gym he has over there

I drink too much.

I also lift and eat. Drinking probably hinders my progress, yes, but I’m 22 and not ready to give up the bar scenes just yet.

I’ve cut it back a lot recently, and feel better consequently. However, I’m not going to pass up a night of drinking on Friday night because it might hurt my deadlifts on Monday. I’ll take that chance.

If you like to drink, moderation is the key. Have a drink or two and leave it at that. Don’t drink excessively, unless it’s on a night that you’re really having fun and you haven’t partied in a while. There’s nothing wrong with having a beer every now and then, as long as it doesn’t hinder your progress and hamper your goals. But then, don’t let not drinking get in the way of having fun. Hell, enjoy your life. You can have fun and train hard as long as you know how to balance them.

i turn 21 in less than a month and its a week after i start my first time away at college. I think i have rough times ahead of me.

[quote]whatsmybodyfat wrote:
[/quote]

Good name, bro.

thanks. honestly what is it though?

[quote]irishpowerhouse wrote:
I do believe i could stop drinking all together if i really wanted to. [/quote]

Dude, I should hope so.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
If you like to drink, moderation is the key. Have a drink or two and leave it at that. [/quote]

What’s the point of drinking if you’re not even going to get a buzz off of it? To fit in?

One of my friends I train with drinks heavily, usually like 5x/week and at least twelve beers a night, and his progress is shit compared to mine and my other friend’s. He has no definition and a gut. I drink about every two weeks and find I have more fun when I do drink and I have my energy up more. A good alternative is to just smoke herb instead, at least it enables you to eat more and is healthier than alcohol.