Alcohol Consumption & Testosterone

“Research with animals has consistently demonstrated an association between both acute (i.e., one time, one occasion) and chronic (i.e., long-term) alcohol consumption and low testosterone.”

Fixed Link:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_25/ai_84926101

Although the link didnt work for me, I’m glad to say that I didnt have to reply with something to the effect of “this thread space could have been used for something like ‘use of search function and T levels.’”

Well known fact, but that doesn’t keep beer from tasting so damn good.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Well known fact, but that doesn’t keep beer from tasting so damn good.[/quote]

Mmmmm Beer. I can smell Friday night already!

[quote]helga wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

Mmmmm Beer. I can smell Friday night already![/quote]

Friday? What the hell?

The clock always reads Beer-thirty at LSU.

We win.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
helga wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

Mmmmm Beer. I can smell Friday night already!

Friday? What the hell?

The clock always reads Beer-thirty at LSU.

We win.[/quote]

That would suck, as you would always be half an hour late for beer o’clock which everybody knows is when you can start drinking.

what? no, it can’t be … not another thread on alcohol!

geezus you are all alcoholics and know the shit is bad for you.

live. just a little.

[quote]Unisonus wrote:
“Research with animals has consistently demonstrated an association between both acute (i.e., one time, one occasion) and chronic (i.e., long-term) alcohol consumption and low testosterone.”

Fixed Link:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_25/ai_84926101[/quote]

TEST levels don’t necessary, or rather I should say always decrease in healthy men. In fact, it appears that an acute, moderate dose of alcohol actually may increase TEST levels. High-dose alcohol, or when consumed by middle-aged men does, however, appear to cause a reduction in TEST.

Below is one abstract from a study that was published in 2004.

Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003 Apr;27(4):682-5. Links
Testosterone increases in men after a low dose of alcohol.Sarkola T, Eriksson CJ.
Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland.

BACKGROUND: Heavy acute alcohol drinking decreases blood testosterone in men due to an effect on the testicular level. An acute increase in blood testosterone levels after a low alcohol dose has, however, recently been reported in women. The objective of this investigation was to study the effect of a low alcohol dose on testosterone in men and further elucidate the mechanism behind the effect by using 4-methylpyrazole, an inhibitor of alcohol metabolism. METHODS: A double-blind placebo-controlled interventional crossover trial in random order (n = 13). RESULTS: After intake of alcohol (0.5 g/kg, 10% w/v), an acute increase in plasma testosterone (from 13.5 +/- 1.2 nmol/liter to 16.0 +/- 1.6 nmol/liter, mean +/- SEM; p < 0.05), a decrease in androstenedione (from 5.1 +/- 0.4 nmol/liter to 4.0 +/- 0.3 nmol/liter; p < 0.05), and an increase in the testosterone:androstenedione ratio (from 2.8 +/- 0.3 to 4.2 +/- 0.4; p < 0.01) were observed. The effects were not observed during pretreatment with 4-methylpyrazole (10-15 mg/kg orally), which inhibited the ethanol elimination rate by 37 +/- 3%. CONCLUSIONS: Alcohol intake affects the androgen balance in men through an effect mediated by the alcohol-induced change in the redox state in the liver.

PMID: 12711931 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[quote]Lockwood wrote:
Unisonus wrote:

Fixed Link:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_25/ai_84926101

TEST levels don’t necessary, or rather I should say always decrease in healthy men. In fact, it appears that an acute, moderate dose of alcohol actually may increase TEST levels. High-dose alcohol, or when consumed by middle-aged men does, however, appear to cause a reduction in TEST.

Below is one abstract from a study that was published in 2004.

Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003 Apr;27(4):682-5. Links
Testosterone increases in men after a low dose of alcohol.Sarkola T, Eriksson CJ.
Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland.

BACKGROUND: Heavy acute alcohol drinking decreases blood testosterone in men due to an effect on the testicular level. An acute increase in blood testosterone levels after a low alcohol dose has, however, recently been reported in women. The objective of this investigation was to study the effect of a low alcohol dose on testosterone in men and further elucidate the mechanism behind the effect by using 4-methylpyrazole, an inhibitor of alcohol metabolism. METHODS: A double-blind placebo-controlled interventional crossover trial in random order (n = 13). RESULTS: After intake of alcohol (0.5 g/kg, 10% w/v), an acute increase in plasma testosterone (from 13.5 +/- 1.2 nmol/liter to 16.0 +/- 1.6 nmol/liter, mean +/- SEM; p < 0.05), a decrease in androstenedione (from 5.1 +/- 0.4 nmol/liter to 4.0 +/- 0.3 nmol/liter; p < 0.05), and an increase in the testosterone:androstenedione ratio (from 2.8 +/- 0.3 to 4.2 +/- 0.4; p < 0.01) were observed. The effects were not observed during pretreatment with 4-methylpyrazole (10-15 mg/kg orally), which inhibited the ethanol elimination rate by 37 +/- 3%. CONCLUSIONS: Alcohol intake affects the androgen balance in men through an effect mediated by the alcohol-induced change in the redox state in the liver.

PMID: 12711931 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
[/quote]

So is there a way of calculating what quantity of alcohol would result in testosterone levels decreasing? Something like g/kg of bodyweight.