T Nation

Alcohol Causing Muscle Deflation?

not sure if this has already been addressed on this forum but i notice that after a night of binge drinking my arms seemed to look deflated the next day, both bicep and triceps seem smaller. Now i thought this was just my hungover mind playing tricks on me but a few people have noticed and a few guys at my gym have said that it happens to them. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else or if my body just sucks and need to leave the brew alone.

*A few important things to note
I only drink about once a month or less , but it usually becomes an all night binge when I do.

I only drink water (and lots of it) through out the day

Im on a strict diet that consists of about 2300-2700 calories. 50% carbs 40% protein 10% fats

This “shrinkage” seems to only happen when i drink hard liquor (patron,vodka, etc) not so much on nights when i only drink beer (michelob ultra)

the day after strictly beer nights i tend to look more tighter as evident in my abs showing noticibely clearer

i do arms on fridays and my “usual” drinking day is normally saturday

i notice the morning after a long night drinkin’ i look a little more shedded. See a couiple more viens but feel like shit

[quote]GetTheHIT wrote:
i notice the morning after a long night drinkin’ i look a little more shedded. See a couiple more viens but feel like shit[/quote]

me too, my arms seem to look pumped up

Alcohol has adverse effects on physical fitness, can change the way you look, etc…since when?

It dehydrates you. That in addition to not eating anything all night leaves you a lot less “bloated” than you appear during the average day. If you look in the mirror on any morning (whether you drank or not) you should look leaner.

Yeah I normally have the opposite happen to me. I wake up the next morning and look more vascular and leaner. But hung over.

That’s why you sleep till afternoon

Anyone else notice Superfood really makes the headache go away quickly?

lol, you guys make me laught, you train hard, diet hard and drink alchool …

Why drink lol, it’s way more funny to be “there” in a party/club that way you’ll maybe be able to get out with a girl … this time HAHA

Plus to be sobber for naughtys :

• You can dance normaly
  • You are able to make a sentense
  • You remember everything
  • Better sex drive
  • You don’t broke up all your week diet

[quote]travis8798 wrote:
Alcohol has adverse effects on physical fitness, can change the way you look, etc…since when?

It dehydrates you. That in addition to not eating anything all night leaves you a lot less “bloated” than you appear during the average day. If you look in the mirror on any morning (whether you drank or not) you should look leaner. [/quote]

Not if you polish off a pizza right before bed!

I get the opposite also. I know alchol can cause a dip in T-levels, but I drink infrequently, once ever two or three weeks. It feels like I have a t-rebound from my drinking infrequent but heavy drinking.

[quote]tweekafaik wrote:
That’s why you sleep till afternoon

Anyone else notice Superfood really makes the headache go away quickly?[/quote]

Wait wait wait, Superfood the new hangover helper?!

More claims, please!

After just one serving of superfood , my 1rm for barbell curls went up by 55.5 lbs. In all seriousness , this is a non-issue. Binge drinking will dehydrate you, and therefore make you look a lot “softer” than normal.

Along with dehydration, alcohol is also a “vaso-constricter” (restricts blood-flow so that may also be a reason you look deflated.