Alcohol and Training

I won’t lie. I used to drink too much. It’s probably the main reason I stopped training a couple years ago. I was drinking every day after work and getting wasted at the weekend. This ultimately led to me getting in trouble with the police and giving me a wake up call.

I’ve cut down a lot but I will admit I do still enjoy a drink. I have at most 2 pints on a Friday after work and 2 or 3 on a Saturday night with a few mates.

But I was wondering how much will this affect my training and diet? I’m using the simple diet and currently doing starting strength with a view to moving onto Texas method.
I’m not trying to look for excuses or validation to keep drinking, but I’m curious

Simple answer is, alcohol consists of empty calories which will hinder your recomp/fat loss goals. There may be a way to work around it, especially if you are limiting yourself as you say. That being said, it may also negatively effect your recovery from training.

Not to preach, but you said you used to drink too much and now you have cut down. If you were a binge drinker in the past and you find it a bit of a struggle to limit your drinking to a couple pints a couple nights per week, then it may behoove you to cut out drinking altogether. If you recognized you had just gotten into the habit of drinking all the time and cutting back was no harder than changing habits and patterns (as opposed to physical withdrawals), then no worries.

I haven’t really struggled to cut down. It took a few weeks of real effort as everyone in my social circle were regular drinkers, but I have no problem limiting myself when I do drink now.
If it’s just a small effect on fat loss I think I’m ok with that, my main aim is strength, not the bodybuilder look.

[quote]Paul93 wrote:

I’ve cut down a lot but I will admit I do still enjoy a drink. I have at most 2 pints on a Friday after work and 2 or 3 on a Saturday night with a few mates.

[/quote]

If goal is strength not physique and that really is the maximum you’re drinking -ie doesnt get you tipsy, then yeah it shouldn’t really effect your training.

Loading up on water +electrolytes sunday wont hurt.