T Nation

Album Reps

So, I came across a bin full of CD's and lo and behold, Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) was sitting there.

So, in the player it goes. Again.

I have or have had this album on LP (several), 8-track, cassette (several), CD (several), digital, etc.

I don't know that it's necessarily my favorite album of all time (I'd have to think about that) per se, but I can conservatively estimate that I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon THOUSANDS (not just 1000). Thinking back to when I was younger, I remember days of DSOTM just looping all day all night.

I remember weeks of listening to nothing but DSOTM. I remember learning every note on guitar, playing along with it dozens and dozens of times. When I was single digits age, I remember my baby-sitters teenage son playing it often (incidentally, my first album was Van Halen I when I was 7 from him because he didn't want me sneaking into his room playing his any more...)

As I've gotten older, I happen across it and listen to it few times. I've worked projects/days just looping it (excellent while coding). Plus, I've had 30 some years to rack up numbers.

As a teen in a crap ass little town that I couldn't wait to exit, these words resonated. Hell, even as an adult these words creep into the brain:

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Everytime I listen to it, it evokes some different memory.

What's your "high rep" album?

Traveling Wilbury's Vol. 1.

One of only a few tapes my parents owned (Other was Tom Petty Full Moon Fever - a close second) and would always be used for our summer trips up to the camp in NH. It still gets regular play in my iPhone today.

All the Pink Floyd albums up til the Wall(and even The Final Cut) were high reps albums. Probably a period of about 5 years I don't think I listened to much else.

I'm a huge fan of music so I could probably list alot of albums that I've repped alot. None more so than Cannibal Corpse album (Tomb of the Mutilated). I'm not so sure it's my favorite album but it's just alot of fun and I constantly find myself coming back to it. I don't play it as much as I used to but it still gets spun atleast once or twice a month.

2112 by Rush. I've listened to it several hundred times.

"The Grand Finale" of 2112 is, in my opinion, the most balls-out display of rock drumming in existence.

These were the ones I grew up on.

Led Zep II

Frampton Comes Alive

Nevermind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

These are my current (as of the last 15-20 years)

John Coltrane - A love Supreme

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

In my life it'd probably be these:

Up The Bracket, by The Libertines
The Eminem Show, by Eminem
Definitely Maybe, by Oasis
Late Registration, by Kanye West
Da Drought 3, by Lil Wayne
Blueprint, by Jay-Z
Graduation, by Kanye West

This year:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, by Kanye West
Kush and Orange Juice, by Wiz Khalifa
Innerspeaker, by Tame Impala
Pilot Talk 2, by Curren$y
Man on the Moon 2, by Kid Cudi

Anybody notice albums with longer songs that flow noticeably well get played more in their entirety than albums with a lot of good songs but are just put together like a collection of random tunes?

I'm noticing a lot of progressive rock, Dwarf had a Coltrane record, and while my all time list doesn't support it at all, my this years list is full of those kinds of albums [the Kanye, Pilot Talk, Innerspeaker, MOTM2, and even K&OJ].

Though technically not an album, Jar of Flies is one I return to a lot.

Hot Rats - FZ

Major musical revelation for me

...And Justice For All

Unfortunately I listened to DSOTM so many times I hardly ever go back to it. This holds true for so much Pink Floyd.

Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow, Live, Wired, There and Back, and Jeff Beck group

Jethro Tull: Aqualung

Jimi Hendrix: Axis bold as love and Electric Ladyland

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin through to Houses of the holy

Black Sabbath: Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Master of reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Currently listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree and Chris Whitley, but trying not to wear anything out.

Led Zeppelin IV.

Off topic but has anyone watched 'It might get loud' ?

This album never leaves my car, still play the shit out of it.

With all the ipod and shit out there now it's rare that I play a complete album anymore. This somehow feels wrong. The Wall for example should be played front to back.

Mixed tapes anyone! Kids got it easy these days I tell ya, no recording levels to worry about, dropping the needle on an LP and pressing play/record with perfect synchronization was a skill lol...fuck I'm old...

That is a fantastic album, definitely my favorite whole Sepultura album. It's just so brutal, you can't lose with it.

No, because it's odd that they teamed up 2 innovative legends with a hack.

This album literally changed the way I listen to music. No real shredding just pure power, Igor is a monster on drums. Workout playlist MUST have Sepultura.

LMFAO! What you don't like those virtuoso solo's on icky thump, the one sounded like he dropped his guitar down a flight of stairs.

GnR - Appetite for Destruction
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Metallica - S/T (didn't get into the older stuff til later on, but I wore this CD out)
Slipknot - S/T (this and Soulfly's Primitve before every football practice and game for about 6 years).
Led Zeppelin - IV
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
AC/DC - Live
Black Label Society - Mafia; Order of the Black (even though it's new, I've probably been through it 100+ times)
Machine Head - The Blackening
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn; Wrath

High rep albums for me, in order of most listened to:

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
In my opinion, the best rock album of the last 25 years. They had a great fucking sound on this album that they have yet to duplicate and every song is excellent. It's also as funky as anything I've heard, including James Brown and Parliament/Funkadelic. Plus, Chad Smith on drums brings it fucking harder and funkier than anyone I've ever heard, except for some stuff from John Bonham (The Lemon Song and Travelling Riverside Blues come to mind). Easily one of the best rock albums of all-time, with great musicianship from everyone and an album that, even today, still sounds contemporary and relevant. Flea's toned-down bass playing and Rick Rubin's minimalist production style show just how good a band that employs the "less is more" strategy can really sound. Most people point to Nevermind from Nirvana as the quintessential album of the last 25 years, but to me it's THIS album. The sound is more unique and it still scratches me right where I itch.

Led Zeppelin IV
First CD I ever bought. Black Dog still sounds new and relevant even 40 years later, and I still get goose bumps when I hear Bonham's drumming on When The Levee Breaks between the first and second verses and at the end of the song. Not my favorite Zeppelin album of all-time (I prefer Physical Graffiti or III), but the repeated listening to of Black Dog and When the Levee Breaks brings it into the top three for me.

James Brown, In the Jungle Groove
THE funkiest stuff out there. The remastered version has a killer extended version of Blind Man Can See It, which features Clyde Stubblefield on drums as deep in the pocket as anything you'll ever hear. I Got To Move also features excellent drumming. This album also features the tighest rhythm section ever as far as I'm concerned with Bootsy Collins on bass and Stubblefield and/or John Starks on drums. It also contains the most-sampled piece of music in the drum break for Funky Drummer. When I bought this album, it was the only thing I listened to for six months. I've had the album since it came out in 2003, so only a lack of time has kept this from being the most-listened to album that I have. Anyone who loves funk and doesn't have this album is woefully depriving themselves of perhaps the best funk album ever.

Enter the Wu-Tang by the Wu-Tang Clan
The first time I heard this album was when it was about a year old and my buddy popped it into his cd player while we were smoking a blunt. I was used to shit like Snoop, Dre, PE and so forth, so when I first heard this album, I was blown away. It sounded so raw and hard-edged compared to most of what was out there. I bought it the next day and still have that same copy. Easily the most frequently-listened to rap album that I have, and other than Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon, there isn't even anything close to it.

Evil Empire by Rage Against the Machine
I know most people think their first album was better, but I prefer this one. Most of my favorite tunes by RATM are on this one (Roll Right, Bulls on Parade, Down Rodeo, People of the Sun). When I first started to play the drums, I tried to learn everything on this album. I still remember when the video for Bulls on Parade came out and people were just blown away by how Tom Morello played that solo. Easily one of the best albums of the last 25 years and one that is seriously underestimated by most. Also, the guitar playing on it is so fucking out there, compared to what everyone else was doing at the time, that I think it is legitimately one of the last albums to really have a unique sound. I don't think there's that much stuff out there anymore that sounds as unique as Rage did at the time (despite their poor imitators such as Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit). When it comes down to it, Rage is/was a brutally effective rock band with a guitar player who played totally different than pretty much everyone else out there, and I don't think that can really be said about anyone today.

Bitches Brew or Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis
I've had these albums the same amount of time and I listen to them with roughly equal frequency. I've been known to put Sketches of Spain on and just play Solea over and over again. The way Miles plays throughout the song is amazing. Perhaps the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard. And when I heard Bitches Brew for the first time I was equally blown away, but for different reasons. I STILL have not heard anything as original as this album and I'm convinced I never will. Plus, knowing how Miles recorded the album (literally just telling the musicians what to play by giving them purposefully-vague instructions or just the hint of a melody, and then piecing all this together through edits and loops so that what everyone played separately somehow fit) blew me away as well. In the jazz world, this album is a polarizing point for fans of Miles. Many thought he sold out with this one, but if you hear Spanish Key or Pharaoh's Dance, it's hard to imagine that Miles sold out; it has traces of influences from Hendrix and James Brown, but the sound is so unique and progressive that "selling out" is just a fallback for people who don't understand the music. He simply moved in a different direction than anyone was even thinking about going with jazz at the time, and he changed music in general forever as a result. There really aren't a whole lot of musicians alive today who can say they concretely changed the way music is played, but Miles could legitimately claim that he did so on several occasions, Bitches Brew being perhaps the biggest change.