T Nation

Alberto Nunez Upper Lower vs Split

Hi guys,

I've been training for a few months now (around 7), i've been running fierce 5 novice routine for 3 months.

Now i plan to change routine, here are my current stats

1m75-78
66kg

Squat: 80kgx5
Bench:Bw 1rm
Front squat: 64x5

DL and other compounds like ohp aren't in fierce 5

3800 kcals/day

Here are the two routines

Alberto nunez upper lower:

Upper (Light)

Incline DB 4-6 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 6-10
OHP 2-3 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 12-15
Flies 2-3 x1 2-15
Tricep Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Bicep Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Lower (Heavy)

Squat 3-5 x 3-5
Deadlift 3-5 x 3-5
Leg Curl 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10

Upper (Heavy)

Bench Press 3-5 x 3-5
Horizontal Row 3-5 x 3-5
Chest Press 2-3 x 6-8
Vertical Row 3-3 x 8-12
Lateral Raises 2-3 x 8-12

Lower (Light)

Squat 4-6 x 8-12
Single Leg Work 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10
Leg Press 2-3 x 12-15
Calf Raise 2-3 x 6-10
Leg Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Leg Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Upper (Light) - Weak body part training day example

Horizontal Row 2 x 4-6
Horizontal Row 2 x 10-15
Vertical Row 2 x 10-15

The second routine (the 4 days routine):

https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/tried-and-true-bodybuilding-program-template

But for the upper lower i plan to substitute a few exercises for legs, i can't have a leg press machine (i train at home, i have a rack, lat pulldown, i can do cable rows with a low pulley, and have access to a small gym every 2 weeks)

I don't have a leg extension machine but i can do leg curls with a dumbell when i'm at home.

My main goal is bodybuidling, so which routine will you recommend for me ?

Thanks in advance guys

3,800 calories for a 66 kg man is a bit much. Do you really need all that? Maybe you do, but it seems like quite a bit to start.

For your situation I strongly suggest a full body or upper-lower split, with more of a leaning to full body. I believe something like Greyskull LP will fit your situation. I THINK you will not see much good results with an all-out split at this point.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
3,800 calories for a 66 kg man is a bit much. Do you really need all that? Maybe you do, but it seems like quite a bit to start.

For your situation I strongly suggest a full body or upper-lower split, with more of a leaning to full body. I believe something like Greyskull LP will fit your situation. I THINK you will not see much good results with an all-out split at this point. [/quote]

I don’t really know, maybe… I started with 2600 in july 2014, then i lost weight (cannot calculate macros for 1 month) and started bulking in september.

Yes but fierce 5 is actually a full body program:

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

And i want to change (my energy during the workout is getting really low…), so i don’t know what to do, nunez upper lower looks good but i need some advice from guys like you ahah, or i was looking at the 4 day split but i’m lost in the sauce

Anyway thanks for your help

Anyone else ? :slight_smile:

[quote]Dreamz344 wrote:

I don’t really know, maybe… I started with 2600 in july 2014, then i lost weight (cannot calculate macros for 1 month) and started bulking in september. [/quote]

You’ve been bulking with 3,800 calories at your weight since September with negligible fat gain?! You must have a raging metabolism if that’s the case.

[quote]

Yes but fierce 5 is actually a full body program:

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

And i want to change (my energy during the workout is getting really low…), so i don’t know what to do, [/quote]

Have you considered doing your lower body exercises at the end of the workout? They usually fatigue people to the point where the following upper body exerices suffer, but seldom the other way around.

[quote]
nunez upper lower looks good but i need some advice from guys like you ahah, or i was looking at the 4 day split but i’m lost in the sauce [/quote]

That upper-lower split looks fine, and it looks idential or similar to every other upper-lower split out there, like Lyle Mcdonald’s Generic Bulking Routine, which is fine too.

You will likely not succeed with the four way split considering your stature and makeup, but that’s just my opinion and others will likely disagree.

[quote]
Anyway thanks for your help

Anyone else ? :)[/quote]

Here’s what works for genetically ordinary people who will likely not compete, who want to just look good or “get jacked” or whatever! And again, some will disagree with me

1. Mostly compound lifts mostly with barbells
    Chest: bench variation, dips
    Back: Row variation, chinup/pullup variation
    Legs: deadlift variation, squat variation
    Shoulders: Overhead press variation
    Ab exercises

Throw in whatever isolation or arm exercises you must, but in the beginning, and maybe forever, this is all a genetically ordinary, non-competitive guy needs. Approval or disapproval or endless opinions doesn’t change this, and if you look at the success rate of all-out splits for ordinary guys, non-competititve guys, it is very low. If you have great genetics like that guy KingBeef who used to post on here, who probably progressed very quickly and had some decent muscle mass to start with, that’s different. Or in the case of someone who has been training for a long damn time!

Work these into an upper-lower split or full body routine or whatever split allows you to train each muscle at most once every five days. Anything less frequent is too slow.

Work in moderate rep ranges. Add weight and add reps when capable.

There’s not much more to it in the beginning and if you look at the most popular programs for ordinary people, this is what they’re about: DC, LM’s GBR, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Greyskull, Nunez’s upper-lower, HST, Layne Nortons’s PHAT, and so on. When you strip them down, they’re all the same shit with different layouts.

Thanks for all your advices, really inspiring.

I’ll follow a program with mostly compounds.

Thanks again

[quote]Dreamz344 wrote:
Thanks for all your advices, really inspiring.

I’ll follow a program with mostly compounds.

Thanks again[/quote]

You’re welcome. I really think you should look into Greyskull LP.