Albert Hofmann, LSD Chemist, Died

at age 102.

May this wonderful man rest in peace!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1912485/Albert-Hofmann,-LSD-inventor,-dies.html

Cut down in the prime of life. I blame LSD for his early demise.

I remember reading about that bike ride years ago and thinking quite literally what a trip! RIP Mr. Hofmann.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
I remember reading about that bike ride years ago and thinking quite literally what a trip! RIP Mr. Hofmann.

D[/quote]

On April 19, people celebrate “Bicycle Day” especially here in San Francisco…in fact, the “Bicycle Trip” is re-enacted…er, hmm, symbolically of course!!!

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Dedicated wrote:

D

On April 19, people celebrate “Bicycle Day” especially here in San Francisco…in fact, the “Bicycle Trip” is re-enacted…er, hmm, symbolically of course!!!
[/quote]

LOL

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Cut down in the prime of life. I blame LSD for his early demise.[/quote]

Blame Hofmann.

Let me know when you find your keys.

Word. That shit’ll fuck you up in all sorts of good and bad ways.

RIP Albert Hofmann.

LSD cheap and easy to make? When did this happen?

My thoughts exactly. LSD kills.

R.I.P.

Insofar as paper can be used a stealthy means of delivering drugs, I looked to see if blotter acid can be ordered online (for research purposes only of course). It appears that LSD is not so readily available as it used to be:

[i]The decline in prevalence of LSD is correlated with the arrest of two chemists, William Leonard Pickard, a Harvard educated organic chemist, and Clyde Apperson. According to DEA reports, black market LSD availability dropped by 95% after the two were arrested in 2000. These arrests were a result of one of the largest LSD manufacturing raids in DEA history.[70] Pickard was an alleged member of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love group that produced and sold LSD in California during the late 1960s and early 1970s. It is believed he had links to other “cooks” associated with this group �?? an original source of the drug back in the 1960s �?? and his arrest may have forced other operations to cease production, leading to the large decline in street availability.

The DEA claims that these two individuals were responsible for supplying a third of the LSD in the United States and maybe the world,[71] however, the government quoted seizure amounts in connection with this case have been seriously questioned.[72]

In November of 2003, Pickard was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole, and Apperson was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment without parole, after being convicted in Federal Court of running a large scale LSD manufacturing operation out of several clandestine laboratories, including a former missile silo near Wamego, Kansas.

[/i] Life without parole? It seems a bit harsh.

[quote]SeanT wrote:

But the fact that it was cheap and easy to make left it open to abuse and from the late 1950s onwards, promoted by Dr Timothy Leary and others, LSD became the recreational drug of choice for alienated western youth.

LSD cheap and easy to make? When did this happen?[/quote]

It is reasonably easy to make for someone with, say, a Masters Degree in Chemistry (provided they are able to get hold of the precursors). I have verified this with Chemist friends. It’s always been fairly cheap. Somebody like Owsley was almost giving the stuff away and, in fact, Ken Kesey (author of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”) and his band of Merry Prankster’s toured around the country in their bus, basically doing just that. As you probably know, Leary had a research project using LSD (often with undergraduates…that was the straw that broke the camel’s back, I believe, and got him fired) at Harvard and I believe he was getting free research materials (LSD-25) directly from Sandoz, the Swiss chemical company where Hofmann worked.

If you happen to be interested in all of this stuff, there is a very thoughtful and fascinating book, tracing the history of LSD and looking at its impact on American culture, called Storming Heaven: LSD and the American dream. Get it here:

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

My thoughts exactly. LSD kills.

[/quote]

That is one of the most hilarious things I have seen in a long time. Man, if she reacted that way to a hot dog, just imagine what happened when her boyfriend tried to get her to fellate him.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:

Blame Hofmann.

Let me know when you find your keys. [/quote]

god damn…shit the bed

Has anyone ever seen those old videos of US soldiers who were given LSD in order to research it’s potential military use? It’s friggin hilarious! These guys are given LSD and some simple missions to accomplish. After about an hour they are climbing trees and acting like maniacs. Nobody could read the map or do any tactical shit. They were all acting like clowns.

It’s funny shit, if anyone has the youtube link they should drop it!

Oh, and R.I.P. Albert Hoffman. I actually thought he was already dead. Silly me.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Blame Hofmann.

Let me know when you find your keys. [/quote]

Tool and 10,000 days are awesome.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Has anyone ever seen those old videos of US soldiers who were given LSD in order to research it’s potential military use? It’s friggin hilarious! These guys are given LSD and some simple missions to accomplish. After about an hour they are climbing trees and acting like maniacs. Nobody could read the map or do any tactical shit. They were all acting like clowns.

Oh, and R.I.P. Albert Hoffman. I actually thought he was already dead. Silly me.[/quote]

It’s easy to point the finger, but I’m not so sure bodybuilding is such a healthier alternative. It’s just a bit more… surreal?

Fuck it, I’m going to die at some point anyway. I can’t wait until I try some.

[quote]Dopamineloveaffa wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

Oh, and R.I.P. Albert Hoffman. I actually thought he was already dead. Silly me.

Very cool, thanks.

Entheogens, do you recall the study on LSD treating alcoholism? I vaguely remember a show I saw on PBS when I was a teenager about this. They showed a guy who was a chronic alcoholic and underwent LSD treatment with a therapist. If I recall correctly he did stop drinking for good afterwards with no ill effects from the LSD therapy. It looked to be from the sixties.

D

[quote]SSC wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

It’s easy to point the finger, but I’m not so sure bodybuilding is such a healthier alternative. It’s just a bit more… surreal?

Fuck it, I’m going to die at some point anyway. I can’t wait until I try some.[/quote]

haha. LSD can’t kill you no matter how much you take, but it can open your eyes to how much you don’t notice about life.

Albert Hofmann was a brilliant man in a lot of ways other than a chemist, he was also a brilliant thinker. He also discovered psilocybin and psilocin as the active components of the sacred mushroom and figured out how to extract and synthesize them along with a whole lot of other entheogenic compounds. RIP brother.