T Nation

Alan Keyes to Join Constitution Party

Live streaming video of his announcement tonight at 8:30 ET. http://www.alankeyes.com

I know there are a few members here that have supported Dr. Keyes in the past.

Keyes to reveal plans in Hazleton
Thursday, 10 April 2008
By TOM RAGAN
Staff Writer
Former GOP presidential candidate Alan Keyes has apparently picked Hazleton as the place where he�??ll tell why he left the Republican Party and why he is ready to accept the nomination for president from the Constitution Party.
Keyes will make �??a major announcement�?? about his intentions Tuesday, according to his Web site. He is planning a press conference at �??the Best Western hotel in Hazleton, Pa.,�?? the site reports.
A representative of Genetti Best Western Inn and Suites on Route 309 in Hazle Township said, as of Wednesday afternoon, the Keyes campaign had not reserved space for Tuesday.
However, Dan Smeriglio of Voice of the People USA, a conservative citizens group based in Hazleton, said he is assisting the Keyes campaign team in setting up the press conference and hopes to have plans finalized by today.
The Keyes campaign could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
According to Smeriglio, Keyes wants to make the announcement in Hazleton because of the city�??s stance on illegal immigration.
�??A good portion of his speech next week will center on illegal immigration,�?? Smeriglio said. Voice of the People USA opposes illegal immigration, and Smeriglio and his group have been outspoken on the issue since Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta introduced the Illegal Immigration Relief Act.
Barletta said the Keyes campaign has not contacted him about Tuesday�??s event.
�??I commend him for choosing Hazleton for his announcement and having the courage to come,�?? Barletta said, noting that the three major presidential candidates have declined invitations to visit Hazleton. He made it clear he is not endorsing anyone for president.
Keyes left the Republican Party last month but hasn�??t publicly explained why he chose to do so. He is expected to accept an invitation to be the Constitution Party�??s nominee for president.
The Constitution Party will hold a nominating convention April 23-26 in Kansas City.
In a news release on Keyes�?? Web site, he describes the U.S. presidential race as �??a highly irregular, undemocratic, media-controlled electoral process that appears aimed at giving voters little or no say about whom ultimately governs them.�??
The Tuesday press conference will be streamed live on his Web site, according to the release.

I respect Alan Keys and consider him the next best thing behind Ron Paul. I’ll vote for him if he runs. Nevertheless, it is a foolish move to join the Constitution Party.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I respect Alan Keys and consider him the next best thing behind Ron Paul. I’ll vote for him if he runs. Nevertheless, it is a foolish move to join the Constitution Party.[/quote]

That’s very debatable.

What isn’t debatable is the fact that the Republican party has turned its back on conservatives. Turned away from the principles of small government. Even gone as far as controlling elections. Keyes’ votes were never officially counted in the Iowa primaries, even though it has been reported that he garnered more votes than Duncan Hunter, who was still in the race at the time and whose votes were counted.

It is not so much that Dr. Keyes left the party, more that the party left him and true conservatives. He was not left with much of a choice. It was either stick with his morals or stick with the party. We now know the party believes it transcends its beginnings, morals, and even supporters. Keyes chooses morality.

Keyes? He sounds good, but that’s about it. I’ve heard he has a reputation as a fraud, and it certainly sounds justified:

I’d rather vote Libertarian or write in Larry Bird or something.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Keyes? He sounds good, but that’s about it. I’ve heard he has a reputation as a fraud, and it certainly sounds justified:

I’d rather vote Libertarian or write in Larry Bird or something.[/quote]

Yeah, a phenomenal speaker though, eh?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:

I’d rather vote Libertarian or write in Larry Bird or something.[/quote]

So one ignorant column portrays him as a fraud and you are going to believe it.

If the columnist would have thought things through a bit more, they would have discovered something much different.

Keyes knew he didn’t have a chance in Illinois. He didn’t run for personal gain, there was nothing to be gained. He ran because the party and the people wanted him to. He wanted to give people a conservative, anti-abortion choice in the race for senate. His running in that election was selfless.

With regards to the Iraq war, Larison is again ignorant. Keyes supports a war on terror. He supported the decision to go to Iraq, to fight the terrorists. He also supports defending our ally, Israel. He does NOT support nation building. He does not agree with our current plan of action in Iraq. He does, however, believe that since the job has been started, we would clearly be putting Americans in worse danger by pulling out, and therefore agrees with keeping troops in Iraq.

[quote]tedro wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:

I’d rather vote Libertarian or write in Larry Bird or something.

So one ignorant column portrays him as a fraud and you are going to believe it.

If the columnist would have thought things through a bit more, they would have discovered something much different.

Keyes knew he didn’t have a chance in Illinois. He didn’t run for personal gain, there was nothing to be gained. He ran because the party and the people wanted him to. He wanted to give people a conservative, anti-abortion choice in the race for senate. His running in that election was selfless.

With regards to the Iraq war, Larison is again ignorant. Keyes supports a war on terror. He supported the decision to go to Iraq, to fight the terrorists. He also supports defending our ally, Israel. He does NOT support nation building. He does not agree with our current plan of action in Iraq. He does, however, believe that since the job has been started, we would clearly be putting Americans in worse danger by pulling out, and therefore agrees with keeping troops in Iraq.[/quote]

Iraq was never really about “fighting the terrorists.” Even the war’s architects didn’t believe that. There were a lot of reasons for the invasion of Iraq, some good, many not, but that one was pretty low down the list.

Leaving aside the Iraq stuff, I think the bigger issue is the financial chicanery, he was known to live off his campaign, leave heaps of unpaid bills, basically be dodging creditors all campaign. Read Michael Lewis’s “Losers”, good book about the 1996 primaries, I think he talks about that a bit.