T Nation

Alactic Sprints vs Lactate Sprints

What are the major advantages or differences in alactic vs lactate sprints.

I’m wanting to do 2 Sprint sessions per week.

One day doing 10 sec bike sprints with 60 sec rest

One day doing 30 sec bike sprints with 2 min rest

Also would these best be done before workouts if I cannot do them on and off day?

Thank u

This is a very broad question. A huge part of biochemistry is centered around this very topic and there is no way to cover it here.

However, I assume you want to know how to fit everything into your training without screwing things up. I can give you a weekly template of Dan Pfaff, who is a brilliant track coach, to show you how he incorporates both lactate and alactic dominant sprints into a training week.

Monday- Alactic Sprints, Jumps, Weights
Tuesday-Technique work, bodyweight, medball and/or circuit training
Wednesday-Alactic Sprints, Jumps, Weights
Thursday-restoration, bodyweight, mobility
Friday- Alactic Sprints(low volume), weights
Saturday- Lacate Sprints, bodyweight

I can’t recommend Dan Pfaff’s work enough. You should definitely check his stuff out. It’s a lot easier to understand than slogging through a biochemistry book and trying to apply it.

Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Great post above, thank you.

BTW, 30 sec is the beginning of the lactic zone. It peaks at around 45-60 seconds. But someone new to this should definitely start with 30 sec. You will likely need more than 2 minutes of rest between those sets.

1 Like

Thank you for your info on this. I will look into it more. I appreciate it

Ok. Would you recommend these on off days or before a workout?
I think if I did a sprint 8 workout like you talked about in your article before a weightlifting session I would be drained.

That’s why I was thinking of alactic Sprint’s before a workout. These dont drain me as bad as Lactate sprints but didn’t know if they would produce good results

Alactic sprints can actually potentiate you

How many would you recommend before a workout and would these have a fat loss benefit as well?

If you have time, would 2 alactic sprint sessions per week, both done before upper body days be a good plan?

And then do one Sprint 8 session on which off day?

My schedule is

Monday bench + assistance

Tuesday squat + assistance

Thursday press + assistance

Saturday deadlift + assistance

Thank you