Alabama Powerlifting

Any PLers in the state of alabama here?

I want to do a meet and would like to get with a group if possible

Joe Good lifts with SPF. He’s got a log in the O35.

Buddy McKee up in Gadsden. A couple groups in Jackson County, MS if you’re in the southwest part of the state.

Decent amount of us in Atlanta and we’ll travel to meets throughout the Southeast, mainly GA/TN though.

Thanks for the responses, Im in Tuscaloosa (University of Alabama). Hoping to be able to do a comp this spring

[quote]Achilles of war wrote:
Thanks for the responses, Im in Tuscaloosa (University of Alabama). Hoping to be able to do a comp this spring[/quote]

I’m in helena which is just south of Birmingham.

In late Feb. there is a meet in Arab which is about two hours north of you. Here’s the link. SPF is blast.

http://southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=210

Dr. J, where in Jackson County?

I am currently located in Hinds County.

I’m in the tiny burg of Vancleave. I have posted pictures in one of the home gym threads of our setup, and we have a handful of semi-healthy guys left training together. There is also a group in D’Iberville (maybe technically Harrison County). Richard Hawthorne and some friends have put together a pretty nice warehouse gym.

I wish we had a gym like that here in tuscaloosa. The best gym we had was worlds gym but the tornados blew that away. The rec sucks we only have one proper rack and i have to sneak in chalk use.

I know the feeling its the same here at the university of south alabama rec center. Although i am trying to get a powerlifting club together down here at south and try to use the athletes training facility and have already been talkin to the strength coach here. Also there is a meet in Summerdale,Al in Baldwin County in late febrary santioned by the USAPL.

[quote]Dr J wrote:
I’m in the tiny burg of Vancleave. I have posted pictures in one of the home gym threads of our setup, and we have a handful of semi-healthy guys left training together. There is also a group in D’Iberville (maybe technically Harrison County). Richard Hawthorne and some friends have put together a pretty nice warehouse gym.[/quote]

Thats a few hours away, but maybe we can plan a weekend to lift, I have a friend I can crash with in Hattiesburg, then drive down in the morning or somethin like that.

Retarded question i know, but im a PL noob

What division do i put on the registration stuff.

I am 22 and lift raw. Thanks.

And dixie I saw you post something about sucking it up and pullling sumo. Im pretty close to a 600 pull but pull conventional, is it recommended to pull sumo if you PL? Ive never really tried sumo

hey u could compete in the collegiate or open divisions if you wish is all up to you. i think lots of federations you can enter two divisions if you want but you got to pay more. i pull conventional but i will train sumo regularly that seems to help alot i know louie simmons and the guys at westside from what i read and watched on videos will use the stance opposite of what they compete.

[quote]mphulk78 wrote:
i know louie simmons and the guys at westside from what i read and watched on videos will use the stance opposite of what they compete. [/quote]

Thats interesting. I need to start reading up more on all this

is it recommended to pull sumo if you PL? [/quote]

It’s recommended that you pull in the stance that allows you to pull the most weight. Period.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

It’s recommended that you pull in the stance that allows you to pull the most weight. Period.[/quote]

x a billion on this.

The reason I said that was the guy was asking about gear. In gear, sumo is KING. You have a powerful pop from the gear, and the ROM is shortened.

Now keep in mind, it does bring its own challenges, but buckle down suck it up and you will overcome them.

Having said that, if you are competing raw, and your raw conventional is better than your raw sumo, then pull conventional. My raw conventional is far better at the moment than my raw sumo.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

It’s recommended that you pull in the stance that allows you to pull the most weight. Period.[/quote]

x a billion on this.

The reason I said that was the guy was asking about gear. In gear, sumo is KING. You have a powerful pop from the gear, and the ROM is shortened.

Now keep in mind, it does bring its own challenges, but buckle down suck it up and you will overcome them.

Having said that, if you are competing raw, and your raw conventional is better than your raw sumo, then pull conventional. My raw conventional is far better at the moment than my raw sumo.

Damn double post damn internet.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:
I’m in the tiny burg of Vancleave. I have posted pictures in one of the home gym threads of our setup, and we have a handful of semi-healthy guys left training together. There is also a group in D’Iberville (maybe technically Harrison County). Richard Hawthorne and some friends have put together a pretty nice warehouse gym.[/quote]

Thats a few hours away, but maybe we can plan a weekend to lift, I have a friend I can crash with in Hattiesburg, then drive down in the morning or somethin like that.[/quote]

We typically bench on Tuesday evening, and squat/deadlift on Saturday mornings. Let me know. I think you’d bring a good energy to the gym; it sounds like you’re a little stronger than us. It always motivates me to train with somebody with better numbers. When you do a work set that’s bigger than mine, I feel like there’s no reason for me not to OWN my set.