T Nation

ALA Worth the Money?

as considering implementing this into my supp regimen. plan on taking it for breakfast and post workout to assist in utilising my carbs.(bulking at the moment)

do you rate the value of ala? will it improve my physique?

I think it’s a top-notch health supplement for various reasons. Mainly for glucose metabolism, which is important for the whole body, but it’s also beneficial for brain health.

That said, I don’t put much stock in it for physique goals, based upon the cost of it. At about $1/day if using Na-R-ALA IMO that money is better spent on other “physique” minded supplements.

I agree with JF… Just make sure you’re using the r-form of ALA (R-ALA)… the s-form is useless and actually counterproductive to your goals.

[quote]hungryone wrote:
I agree with JF… Just make sure you’re using the r-form of ALA (R-ALA)… the s-form is useless and actually counterproductive to your goals.[/quote]

right on, so if all a supplement says is ALA, then it’s most likely the s-form

already got a good diet/supp plan so might throw this in the mix cheers guys

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]hungryone wrote:
I agree with JF… Just make sure you’re using the r-form of ALA (R-ALA)… the s-form is useless and actually counterproductive to your goals.[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought ALA was just 50/50 of each form…

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]hungryone wrote:

[/quote]

I thought ALA was just 50/50 of each form…[/quote]

You are most likely correct. However, I do happen to disagree with MODOK on it not mattering. The s-form is synthetic (and by now we should realize what happens when synthetic vitamins, etc are used) and actually competes with the natural form.

It’s worth it to pay a tiny bit more for R-ALA, or even better Na-R-ALA I pay about .43 per pill for 300mg

Yes regular(racemic) ALA is 50/50 R and S.

I’m with John Meadows on this I love ALA. Awesome supplement. I do agree with what Jehova said about the s-form…I’m not really sure if it can cause any harmful effects but personally it’s one reason why I prefer R-ALA…I used racemic ALA in the past and I noticed a musty pee smell afterwards. This does not happen to me with R-ALA so just another reason I prefer it…that and the R form is where the benefits are. I definitely believe that R-ALA helps with body comp but its not magic…your training and nutrition has to be on point

I wouldn’t consider ALA more specifically Na-R-ALA a must have supplement but in my case where i’m trying to make improvement on such a small degree it matters enough to warrant useage. I take it mostly for improving insulin sensitivity + the anti-oxidant recycling capabilities. Defiantly not a top 10 supplement though =0

I use it only when skiploading aka 1x per week

[quote]zraw wrote:
I use it only when skiploading aka 1x per week[/quote]

ALA or r-ALA? Dose?

you could always go with fresh unrefined flax oil. It has LA and alpha ALA in it. In nature vitamin E and other natural antioxidants are ALWAYS found in fresh oil-bearing seeds and nuts. Generally, the more essential fatty acids an oil contains, the richer in AOs it is, in keeping with the need to protect oils from destruction by light and oxygen both in the seed and in our body. Fresh protected oils will not go rancid in the body. Once oils are rancid they are detrimental to your health. Keep it simple and natural

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
you could always go with fresh unrefined flax oil. It has LA and alpha ALA in it. In nature vitamin E and other natural antioxidants are ALWAYS found in fresh oil-bearing seeds and nuts. Generally, the more essential fatty acids an oil contains, the richer in AOs it is, in keeping with the need to protect oils from destruction by light and oxygen both in the seed and in our body. Fresh protected oils will not go rancid in the body. Once oils are rancid they are detrimental to your health. Keep it simple and natural[/quote]

ALA from flax is different than Alpha Lipoic Acid :wink:

EDIT: Nvm.

They are two completely different compounds…The ALA from flax is Alpha-linolenic acid not alpha-lipoic acid.

I use standard ALA 'cuz I swear I used it as an experiment and seemed to make me handle my foods better, and through that, I lost more fat then I usually would. Whether this is placebo effect or not… but it’s only very cheap if you have literal a 1 pill dose a day… I use it also because its John Meadows reccomended, and he doesn’t reccomend a whole lot supps wise.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
I use it only when skiploading aka 1x per week[/quote]

regular ALA or r-ALA? Dose?[/quote]

regular ALA, around 9caps/skipload

Will be trying the one by John Meadow which has R-Ala and other stuff in it now