Al-Qaeda in Jersey?

Watch out, Irish!

"6 held on terror conspiracy charges in N.J.
Nationals from 3 countries allegedly plotted to attack Fort Dix Army base

Soldiers, civilians allegedly targeted at Fort Dix
May 8: Six men were arrested on charges they plotted to attack the Fort Dix Army base. WNBC’s Jonathan Dienst reports.
NBC News Channel

FBI Arrests 6 In Alleged Terror Plot Against N.J. Soldiers
6 Arrested in Plot to Kill N.J. Soldiers
MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - Six men described by federal prosecutors as “Islamic militants” were arrested on charges they plotted to attack the Fort Dix Army base and “kill as many soldiers as possible,” authorities said Tuesday.

The six were scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Camden later Tuesday to face charges of conspiracy to kill U.S. servicemen, said Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in New Jersey.

Officials said four of the men were born in the former Yugoslavia, one in Jordan and one in Turkey. Five of them lived in Cherry Hill, 10 miles east of Philadelphia and 20 miles southwest of Fort Dix, Drewniak said."

Lixy, wreckless, you should be able to donate bail money to the New Jersey Penal system.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Lixy, wreckless, you should be able to donate bail money to the New Jersey Penal system.[/quote]

That was funny but a little over the top.

Well then, good they caught these bastards before they did any damage.

What would you like us to say?

They tried to attack us on our home turf…that shit won’t work after 9/11 we’re prepared now.

I wonder what surveillance methods were used to catch them before the act was carried out.

"Foiled Plots in U.S. Since Sept. 11

By The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 8, 2007; 5:12 PM

– Here are some of the cases of plots or alleged plots cited by U.S. authorities since Sept. 11, 2001:

December 2001: Richard Reid, a British citizen and self-described follower of Osama bin Laden, foiled in attempt to blow up a Paris-to-Miami flight with explosives hidden in his shoes. He pleaded guilty in 2002.

World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz addresses the media at the European Council headquarters in Brussels, Wednesday, May 2, 2007. (AP)
SEE FULL COLLECTION
Feedback

In Today’s A Section

? More in Today’s Print Edition
Save & Share Article What’s This?
Digg
Google

del.icio.us
Yahoo!

Reddit
Facebook

May 2002: Jose Padilla is arrested in Chicago on a return trip from Pakistan. Initially held as an enemy combatant and accused of planning to build a “dirty bomb,” he was formally charged with aiding foreign jihadists in a Miami court in 2005. Jury selection in his trial began in April.

September 2002: The “Lackawanna Six,” American citizens of Yemeni descent living near Buffalo, N.Y., are arrested for allegedly having attended an al-Qaida camp in Afghanistan in the months before the Sept. 11 attacks. The six pleaded guilty in 2003 to providing material support to a terrorist organization.

May 2003: Iyman Faris of Columbus, Ohio, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Kashmir, pleads guilty to supporting al-Qaida. He was accused of planning to destroy the Brooklyn Bridge. He is sentenced to 20 years.

June 2003: In Virginia, the FBI charges a group of men with being part of a conspiracy to support holy war overseas. In all, 11 men eventually were convicted in what the government described as a “Virginia jihad network” that used paintball games as a form of training.

August 2004: U.S. authorities issue alert, announce evidence of a years-long plot to attack the New York Stock Exchange and other financial institutions in New York, Washington and Newark, N.J. They later accuse plotters of also planning attacks in England. Eventually, five men pleaded guilty in London, alleged ringleader Dhiren Barot was convicted there, at least one other man is awaiting trial.

August 2004: Two men are arrested on the eve of the Republican Convention in New York for allegedly plotting to blow up a busy subway station. James Elshafay, a U.S. citizen, eventually pleaded guilty and testified against the other man, Shahawar Matin Siraj, a Pakistani. Siraj was sentenced to 30 years in prison; Elshavy to five.

August 2004: Authorities arrest two leaders of a mosque in Albany, N.Y., and charge them with aiding in a purported plot to buy a shoulder-fired grenade launcher to assassinate a Pakistani diplomat. The former imam of the Masjid As-Salam mosque, Kurdish refugee Yassin Aref, and Mohammed Hossain, a mosque founder, later found guilty to counts relating to money laundering and conspiracy.

June 2005: A Pakistani immigrant and his American-born son in Lodi, Calif., are arrested for allegedly lying to the FBI about the younger man’s training at a jihadist camp in Pakistan. Hamid Hayat, the son, was found guilty of supporting terrorism and lying to the FBI. He is seeking a new trial. The case against Umer Hayat, the father, ended in a mistrial; he later pleaded guilty to lying to a customs agent about trying to carry $28,000 into Pakistan.

August 2005: Four California men, one the founder of a radical Islamic prison group, are indicted for allegedly conspiring to attack Los Angeles-area military bases, synagogues and other targets. The men have pleaded not guilty and await trial.

February 2006: Three men are arrested in Toledo, Ohio, for allegedly providing material support to terrorists. One of the men is accused of downloading videos on the use of suicide-bomb vests.

April 2006: Two Georgia men are charged with material support of terrorism after allegedly videotaping buildings in the Washington area, including the Capitol and the World Bank, and sending the video to a London extremist active on jihadist Web sites.

June 2006: The FBI announces the arrests of seven men in Miami and Atlanta in what officials called the early stages of a plot to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago, and destroy FBI offices and other buildings. All pleaded not guilty and are awaiting trial.

July 2006: U.S. authorities announce the arrest of Assem Hammoud, a Lebanese man they claim was plotting to bomb New York City train tunnels to flood the financial district.

March 2007: A Pentagon transcript is released indicating that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, confessed to that attack and a string of other terror plots, including that of Reid, during a military hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba."

Al-Qaeda doesn’t exist.

I thought that if we fought them “over there” (i.e., Iraq) then they would not follow us here and we would not have to fight on our soil… Just another leaky plank in GW’s motivation for the Iraq war.

Fucking cocksuckers… makes me want to take a baseball bat down to Paterson…

I’m kidding…

Kind of.

[quote]jnd wrote:
I thought that if we fought them “over there” (i.e., Iraq) then they would not follow us here and we would not have to fight on our soil… Just another leaky plank in GW’s motivation for the Iraq war.[/quote]

I agree. It’s worked very well.

Like I’ve said a million times… this is an FBI/CIA war. Not an infantry war.

If they can bring down the fuckin Mob, they can keep Al-Queda out of the damn country.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

What would you like us to say? [/quote]

Um…God Bless America?

Actually, are you the least bit interested in HOW these scum were caught? Maybe, a little phone surveillance? But, I sure hope these guys’ rights weren’t violated!!

Did it ever occur to you, Beowolf, to wonder about the rights of the victims? Tell you what: if Nancy and Company shut down all the security stuff since 9/11, you get to tell anyone killed that their loved ones died out of concern for the rights of the terrorists.

[quote]jnd wrote:
I thought that if we fought them “over there” (i.e., Iraq) then they would not follow us here and we would not have to fight on our soil… Just another leaky plank in GW’s motivation for the Iraq war.[/quote]

They were stopped.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
jnd wrote:
I thought that if we fought them “over there” (i.e., Iraq) then they would not follow us here and we would not have to fight on our soil… Just another leaky plank in GW’s motivation for the Iraq war.

I agree. It’s worked very well.

Like I’ve said a million times… this is an FBI/CIA war. Not an infantry war.

If they can bring down the fuckin Mob, they can keep Al-Queda out of the damn country.[/quote]

It is both.

They were from the former Yugoslavia. Maybe this is thanks for saving them from Milosovich. Anyone know if they were refugees from that conflict?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

What would you like us to say?

Um…God Bless America?

Actually, are you the least bit interested in HOW these scum were caught? Maybe, a little phone surveillance? But, I sure hope these guys’ rights weren’t violated!!

Did it ever occur to you, Beowolf, to wonder about the rights of the victims? Tell you what: if Nancy and Company shut down all the security stuff since 9/11, you get to tell anyone killed that their loved ones died out of concern for the rights of the terrorists.

[/quote]

God Bless the World.

You know Nancy wanted to introduce all the security stuff the 9/11 commission said we should do, that Bush hasn’t done yet right? He’s implemented what… less than 10% of it? Lets stick to that list before we go an impose on citizens rights.

The wiretapping doesn’t really piss me off that much. It’s what the wire tapping represents; the expanded control of the government over the people is growing.

The Patriot Act, with it’s obvious violations of at least 7 of the 10 amendments to the Constitution that make up the Bill of Rights, pisses me off. The wiretapping is pissing me off by proxy.

And once again, I’m thankful these assholes were caught. Any news on how yet?

I thinks you’ll be singing a different toon when the next Democratic President seeks to increase the federal governments involvement in peoples live for security reasons. Try, say, a law that would let us check people with guns, and keep close eyes on those who buy them? That’d be in the interests of American safety right? How do you feel about the new law allowing the government to deny 2nd amendment rights to “possible terrorists”?

Once again, if God exists, let him “bless” America, whatever the hell that means.

I’ll give my own version then, to make you happy.

May America move towards a better tomorrow and a brighter future than ever before.

My own words can’t describe what I feel right now, but this clip sure as hell is close to it.

For the record,I just watched the whole story on FOX News, and I’m glad the bastards were caught. Still no mention on the specific means, unless I missed it (turned it off a bit early).

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
For the record,I just watched the whole story on FOX News, and I’m glad the bastards were caught. Still no mention on the specific means, unless I missed it (turned it off a bit early).[/quote]

If im not mistaken they were doing some shady stuff and some people around their house called it in.(there neighbors called it in incase anyone didn’t understand).

They made a video of themselves practicing at the firing range shouting Allah-Akbar. They took it to a video store to have it transferred to a DVD. The technician at the store called the FBI who started an investigation.

Once the investigation started I’m pretty sure they tracked and wiretapped these guys pretty hard. They tried to buy fully automatic AK-47’s from a weapons dealer who also tipped off the FBI and cooperated with them.

I’ve been to Ft. Dix and McGuire AFB. They are right next to each other. It’s a wide open base and pretty rural. I’m not sure how much damage 5 guys with Ak’s would have done. Didn’t look like they actually could hit anything with them but I’m sure they would have killed a few people.

Hope they enjoy Gitmo.