T Nation

Al Qaeda Attacks the U.S. Again!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/09/17/yemen.blast/index.html

What is sad, other than the attack, is that it is second page news. An attack on American soil is just no big deal anymore…I suppose we should just sweep it under the rug?
“Nothing to see here folks, the problem with islamic radicalism is all in your head.” All they need is a hug, really.

Yay, let’s invade Yemen?

I say we give the extremist shits what they want. Pull all US troops out of the entire middle east. Pull all our money while we’re at it, including imports of goods and oil. Let 'em deal with China and Russia while we drill our own resources until the entire area is back in the 7th century the way they like it.

[quote]pat wrote:

“Nothing to see here folks, the problem with islamic radicalism is all in your head.” All they need is a hug, really.[/quote]

I read about this news this morning. Horrendous.

But maybe I am reading your post wrong but the language you are using is the same sort used to criticize the liberal stance (no problem with radicalism, everyone just needs hugs etc…).

If you are so worried about the frequency of these attacks shouldn’t your criticism be directed at the current conservative administration? Shouldn’t you be asking yourself why are these news items losing their impact? Could it be because they are so frequent we are being desensitised? If this is true shouldn’t serious questions be asked of the current administrations tactics and handling of ‘the war on terror?’

As I said I could be misreading the implications of your post. Care to clarify?

It was a failed attempt. They don’t get front page for fuckin up.

Yes it’s fucked up.

Does anyone actually believe that this current “war on terror” will ultimately cause this shit to really go away?

I’m a skeptic.

Sick fucks.

No Americans were killed which is why it gets ,little media attention here. Hats off to the Yemeni security/police forces who died protecting our embassy.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

At some point, snipers positioned across the street from the embassy opened fire on Yemeni first responders as they arrived on the scene, the official said.

Sick fucks.

No Americans were killed which is why it gets ,little media attention here. Hats off to the Yemeni security/police forces who died protecting our embassy.[/quote]

QFT. Medics and other first responders are off limits.

These fucks make me sick.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Yay, let’s invade Yemen?

I say we give the extremist shits what they want. Pull all US troops out of the entire middle east. Pull all our money while we’re at it, including imports of goods and oil. Let 'em deal with China and Russia while we drill our own resources until the entire area is back in the 7th century the way they like it.[/quote]

I agree. But they want to take over the world.

[quote]jawara wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
Yay, let’s invade Yemen?

I say we give the extremist shits what they want. Pull all US troops out of the entire middle east. Pull all our money while we’re at it, including imports of goods and oil. Let 'em deal with China and Russia while we drill our own resources until the entire area is back in the 7th century the way they like it.

I agree. But they want to take over the world.[/quote]

And they want to make the entire world like the 7th Century.

If we pull our armed forces and money out, that would destabilize the entire area and Al-Qaeda would then proceed to overthrow the governments in the m.e.

If the w.o.t. is failing, like another above poster said, what’s an alternative to it?

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
jawara wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
Yay, let’s invade Yemen?

I agree. But they want to take over the world.

And they want to make the entire world like the 7th Century.

If we pull our armed forces and money out, that would destabilize the entire area and Al-Qaeda would then proceed to overthrow the governments in the m.e.

If the w.o.t. is failing, like another above poster said, what’s an alternative to it?[/quote]

Get better at protecting ourselves from the inside. I know I’m making it sound much more simple than it is but it has to be much more simple than protecting ourselves from overseas.

I just think it’s impossible to fight war’s against values and concepts rather than it is to fight against countries. Terrorism is a concept, not something we can really “battle”.

If we don’t stop dumping our money into the area we are going to be in some serious trouble.

[quote]GCF wrote:
pat wrote:

“Nothing to see here folks, the problem with islamic radicalism is all in your head.” All they need is a hug, really.

But maybe I am reading your post wrong but the language you are using is the same sort used to criticize the liberal stance (no problem with radicalism, everyone just needs hugs etc…).

If you are so worried about the frequency of these attacks shouldn’t your criticism be directed at the current conservative administration? Shouldn’t you be asking yourself why are these news items losing their impact? Could it be because they are so frequent we are being desensitised? If this is true shouldn’t serious questions be asked of the current administrations tactics and handling of ‘the war on terror?’

As I said I could be misreading the implications of your post. Care to clarify?[/quote]

We are getting desensitized to it because they are so regular. Just a few days ago there was a brutal series of bombings in India. It hit the news for a day or two and that was it. The group that did the bombing has ties that go back to Pakistan so I wonder how much more of this there is going to be before the Indians say they have had enough. The Indians alone have enough nuclear weapons to cause nuclear winter and they are becoming an important part of the global economy, so I find this a scary situation.

I think part of the problem with asking questions on the administrations war on terror is we are less than fifty days away from the election. So while it seems like they have lost their nerve I think they are trying not to do something big just before the election. After the election there could be big happenings, especially if Obama gets elected.

If Obama gets elected people are going to want to get their licks in while they can. The Israelis have said they are going to attack the Iranian nuclear program if Obama is elected. Now the Russians have seized the airfields in Georgia they were going to use it might not happen, but there is still the chance the US might do something.

At the risk of repeating myself: Terrorism is not going away any time soon. The genie is out of the bottle and there’s no putting it back. The movement feeds off violence and everybody knows it (ask the Algerians). Lobbies, primarily constituted of people that live in gated communities and that don’t take public transportation, have decided to make money hand over fist by giving the American public the impression that attacking countries not involved with Al-Qaeda was a good idea. It worked, and the monster grew like never before.

Instead of drawing the appropriate conclusion that financing Islamists to do your bidding will bite you in the ass as was the case in Afghanistan, you kept suffocating every secular movement there is in the Arab world. All the while, supporting the Wahabi Sauds and other such bastards.

I will admit that the war on Iraq had two positives at the end: 1) it got rid of Hussein, 2) the experience will ensure any future attack on a country that doesn’t represent an immediate threat to the US will be harshly resisted by military commanders.

Meanwhile, start getting used to the idea that technology has come a long way from the times of Guy Fawkes and the crew. Nowadays, a couple of angry people (and God knows the US made a lot of people angry) can communicate on a global scale and do serious damage. Shit, a single person armed to the teeth can take dozens before being taken down himself/herself.

Terrorism is a domain for cops, intelligence people and such. Suck it up! You can’t stop people determined to die for their cause with military power. My suggesting, and that’s just a suggestion, is to start by doing something about the Swiss cheese on your borders.

Remember, everytime you hear AL-Qaeda, it’s really al-CIAda…

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Remember, everytime you hear AL-Qaeda, it’s really al-CIAda…[/quote]

Oh! I like that one, I’ll use it sometime today.

Terrible news.
But I guess I missed the necessary red terror alert on Fox news beforehand.

[quote]GCF wrote:
pat wrote:

As I said I could be misreading the implications of your post. Care to clarify?[/quote]

Uh no. Blame the victim? So like, if a girl dresses like a whore she deserves to be raped? Because that is analogous to what you are saying. The is no excuse for terrorism, none. There is nothing that justifies it. Providing excuses for bad behavior enables and empowers it. The people to blame are the terrorists and their enablers. There is no excuse what so ever for it. It is evil for the sake of evil only.

What in the fuck does that mean? What are the “hallmarks” of an al Queda attack? Blowing American shit up?

It’s sad this isn’t a bigger piece of news, but during an election year, this kind of stuff is a bit minor when compared to all of our problems in our home ground. Haven’t heard much about Iraq either these days.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
It’s sad this isn’t a bigger piece of news, but during an election year, this kind of stuff is a bit minor when compared to all of our problems in our home ground. [/quote]

You can bet the story would have been “bigger” had Americans died.

Business as usual. You don’t hear much about the Iraqis being blown up.

An American did die.

Attack in Pakistan.

Explosion at Pakistan Marriott hotel kills 40.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan_explosion