T Nation

Al Bundy's Opinions on MMA

Recently someone collared Ed O’Niell (Al Bundy on Married with Children and got him to talk about MMA.

He raises some interesting points. I disagree with most of them but they are interesting none the less.

He’s obviously an intelligent and articulate guy. He�?? been training with the Gracie’s for an eternity and his opinion�??s are similar to those of Rorion Gracie.

http://videos.proelite.com/46768

[quote]Mr90210 wrote:
Recently someone collared Ed O’Niell (Al Bundy on Married with Children and got him to talk about MMA.

He raises some interesting points. I disagree with most of them but they are interesting none the less.

He’s obviously an intelligent and articulate guy. He�?? been training with the Gracie’s for an eternity and his opinion�??s are similar to those of Rorion Gracie.

http://videos.proelite.com/46768 [/quote]

Al Bundy rocks! But I’m curious to know how he affords Gracie BJJ classes on a shoe salesman’s salary?

I think the reasoning behind his opinions is the fact that he has been with MMA since the beginning. Hell, most of us have never heard of UFC or BJJ around the time he started training with the Gracies. There are two views when it comes to MMA these days. There is the view from the Old Guard and then the view from the New Guard(us, the new generation main stream fans). The Old Guard still views MMA has a proving ground for a specific martial arts. They want the most realistic settings as possible, aka no rules. The new generation on the other hand, wants to see MMA become as main stream as football. To do this, rules and regulations have to be in place. So it’s much less a “proving ground” and more of an actual sport.

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
Mr90210 wrote:
Recently someone collared Ed O’Niell (Al Bundy on Married with Children and got him to talk about MMA.

He raises some interesting points. I disagree with most of them but they are interesting none the less.

He’s obviously an intelligent and articulate guy. He�?? been training with the Gracie’s for an eternity and his opinion�??s are similar to those of Rorion Gracie.

http://videos.proelite.com/46768

Al Bundy rocks! But I’m curious to know how he affords Gracie BJJ classes on a shoe salesman’s salary?[/quote]

Maybe Peggy finally stopped taking his money out of his wallet.

[quote]j281 wrote:
I think the reasoning behind his opinions is the fact that he has been with MMA since the beginning. Hell, most of us have never heard of UFC or BJJ around the time he started training with the Gracies. There are two views when it comes to MMA these days. There is the view from the Old Guard and then the view from the New Guard(us, the new generation main stream fans). The Old Guard still views MMA has a proving ground for a specific martial arts. They want the most realistic settings as possible, aka no rules. The new generation on the other hand, wants to see MMA become as main stream as football. To do this, rules and regulations have to be in place. So it’s much less a “proving ground” and more of an actual sport. [/quote]

I agree but I think since Ed O`Neil has been training with the Gracies for so long that he is bias toward the rules and regulation. Hes probally upset that now that everybody knows everything,the Gracies arent at the top of the food chain. I do agree with the fact that they stand the fighters up to much and that really tends to go towards the striker.

I mostly agree, except about the gloves. Bare knuckle fight would just end prematurely because of cuts. You couldn’t “punch a hole through a wall” with 4 oz. gloves, and guys can’t spend a few months laid up because of a broken hand.

As far as the skill level goes, I completely agree. I thought GSP was the most complete package of any fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8M3YiyXFc&mode=related&search=

And he gets pounded by someone with considerably less skill and athletic ability. But, that seems to be the nature of the beast, in that anyone can win at any time. GSP said after the fight that he “felt like I had stuff to do after the fight” so he didn’t feel like he left it all out there, and it showed. That’s basically what most fights will come down to. The guy that is the most mentally ready to get in the ring that night will win. Skill is still necessary, but it’s secondary to having your head right the day of the fight.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

As far as the skill level goes, I completely agree. I thought GSP was the most complete package of any fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8M3YiyXFc&mode=related&search=

And he gets pounded by someone with considerably less skill and athletic ability. But, that seems to be the nature of the beast, in that anyone can win at any time. GSP said after the fight that he “felt like I had stuff to do after the fight” so he didn’t feel like he left it all out there, and it showed. That’s basically what most fights will come down to. The guy that is the most mentally ready to get in the ring that night will win. Skill is still necessary, but it’s secondary to having your head right the day of the fight.[/quote]

GSP lost b/c he didn’t train properly enough and started to believe his own hype(“He is the most complete fighter”).
He only trained 2 weeks for Serra. TWO WEEKS FOR A TITLE BOUT.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Xylene wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

As far as the skill level goes, I completely agree. I thought GSP was the most complete package of any fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8M3YiyXFc&mode=related&search=

And he gets pounded by someone with considerably less skill and athletic ability. But, that seems to be the nature of the beast, in that anyone can win at any time. GSP said after the fight that he “felt like I had stuff to do after the fight” so he didn’t feel like he left it all out there, and it showed. That’s basically what most fights will come down to. The guy that is the most mentally ready to get in the ring that night will win. Skill is still necessary, but it’s secondary to having your head right the day of the fight.

GSP lost b/c he didn’t train properly enough and started to believe his own hype(“He is the most complete fighter”).
He only trained 2 weeks for Serra. TWO WEEKS FOR A TITLE BOUT.

:)[/quote]

Yeha but who can blame him. Ed was right,Serra has T-Rex arms. LMAO.

[quote]Xylene wrote:

GSP lost b/c he didn’t train properly enough and started to believe his own hype(“He is the most complete fighter”).
He only trained 2 weeks for Serra. TWO WEEKS FOR A TITLE BOUT.

:)[/quote]

No shit? Then he deserved to lose. Even the most complete fighter can get pounded if his head’s not in it. That’s where the reality comes in.

That is also why I don’t think Fedor will ever lose, because he puts in the time and the work, and he always brings at least his A- game the day of the fight. It will take another monster with a whole lot of hunger to bring him down.

Now, having said that, he will probably get KOed in his next fight.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Now, having said that, he will probably get KOed in his next fight.[/quote]

Thanks a lot Steel Nation for jinxing Fedor!

I like Al Bundy, but his opinions on MMA sound like boilerplate Gracie rhetoric.

The Gracies dominated the sport when nobody knew anything about GJJ, but faded into obscurity once wrestlers learned how to defend submissions and strikers learned how to sprawl. Once Sakuraba exposed them as one-dimensional fighters and their golden boy (Rickson) refused to take up the family cause, their relevance to the current sport was finished.

The Gracies deserve a place of honor among MMA pioneers, but they are largely irrelevant in modern MMA. The lone exception to that is Cesar Gracie, who is cranking out some fantastic fighters from his school (The Diaz brothers, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez).

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

That is also why I don’t think Fedor will ever lose, because he puts in the time and the work, and he always brings at least his A- game the day of the fight. It will take another monster with a whole lot of hunger to bring him down.

[/quote]

Everybody loses eventually.

I suspect if/when Fedor signs with the UFC, he will eventually be done in by elbows to the head and the fact that he bleeds like a stuck pig every time his face get touched. Someone, someday, is going to cut him on an eyebrow and win via doctor stoppage.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
I like Al Bundy, but his opinions on MMA sound like boilerplate Gracie rhetoric.

The Gracies dominated the sport when nobody knew anything about GJJ, but faded into obscurity once wrestlers learned how to defend submissions and strikers learned how to sprawl. Once Sakuraba exposed them as one-dimensional fighters and their golden boy (Rickson) refused to take up the family cause, their relevance to the current sport was finished.

The Gracies deserve a place of honor among MMA pioneers, but they are largely irrelevant in modern MMA. The lone exception to that is Cesar Gracie, who is cranking out some fantastic fighters from his school (The Diaz brothers, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez).[/quote]

GJJ? Shit, I’m still trying to master BJJ…

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

That is also why I don’t think Fedor will ever lose, because he puts in the time and the work, and he always brings at least his A- game the day of the fight. It will take another monster with a whole lot of hunger to bring him down.

Everybody loses eventually.

I suspect if/when Fedor signs with the UFC, he will eventually be done in by elbows to the head and the fact that he bleeds like a stuck pig every time his face get touched. Someone, someday, is going to cut him on an eyebrow and win via doctor stoppage.[/quote]

Probably. Mirko came about half an inch from doing it with his shin.

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
Yeha but who can blame him. Ed was right,Serra has T-Rex arms. LMAO.[/quote]

A solid punch starts at the point where you plant your foot. Force is generated as the leg, hips, back, and shoulders drive through, and finishes up pushing through the tris, forearm, and wrist. The guy who beat GSP is a fireplug. His build reminds me of Tyson back when he was on top of his game.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Now, having said that, he will probably get KOed in his next fight.

Thanks a lot Steel Nation for jinxing Fedor![/quote]

Bullocks. You can’t jinx fate.

[quote]Jason32 wrote:

GJJ? Shit, I’m still trying to master BJJ…[/quote]

GJJ = Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

As far as the Gracies are concerned, there is no such thing as BJJ.