Airlines to Charge Extra for 'Beefy'

United To Charge Heavier Passengers Twice To Fly

CHICAGO (CBS) ―
If “beefy” or “curvy” describes you, here is a word of warning:
United Airlines will begin aggressively enforcing a new policy that allows it to charge heavier passengers twice to fly.

United will now implement new policies for passengers they deem to be overweight.

Under the rules outlined by United, passengers who “are unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin; are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or are unable to put the seat’s armrests down when seated” will be denied boarding unless they purchase an extra seat.

If no empty seat exists, the passenger will be forced to take a later flight.

Full Story: CBS Chicago - Breaking News, First Alert Weather, Exclusive Investigations & Community Journalism

makes sense, they are taking up two seats… right?

gives people insentive to not be such fat fucks

Hip, hip, hooray!

a great success if imposed sensibly

I once had to sit behind a woman who needed a seatbelt extender and who’s next seat neighbor[luckily] obliged to put up the arm rest.

Then she proceeds to fart like a greyhound dog after a nice meal of grass and its own shit. I had to borrow a cigarette off a seat neighbor of mine and broke it in two and stuck it up my nose. WTFH!?? It was as close to wretching from a smell as ive come.

-chris

Looks like I should quit injecting 10 ml of test suspension everyday while blending bigmacs with strawberry shakes for breakfast.

Damn economy.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
…unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or are unable to put the seat’s armrests down when seated…

[/quote]

Really, this is enough for me.

Basically they have to fit in the seats.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
makes sense, they are taking up two seats… right?

gives people insentive to not be such fat fucks[/quote]

x2

mass is mass and if youre taing up 2 spaces why shouldnt you have to pay?

im sorry, wait no im not, but people need to understand that it isnt ok to be fricking obese.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
a great success if imposed sensibly

I once had to sit behind a woman who needed a seatbelt extender and who’s next seat neighbor[luckily] obliged to put up the arm rest.

Then she proceeds to fart like a greyhound dog after a nice meal of grass and its own shit. I had to borrow a cigarette off a seat neighbor of mine and broke it in two and stuck it up my nose. WTFH!?? It was as close to wretching from a smell as ive come.

-chris[/quote]

i had a lady at my work who couldnt fit into the booth and need to move to another seat.

its really sad when youre so fat you cant function in day to day life.

even Kai Greene could sit down at a booth in IHOP (to anyone whos seen that clip)

I don’t think they’re describing ‘beefy’ or ‘curvy’ people…

I would love to be the ‘enforcer.’

“Pardon me ma’am, but your ass is enormous. That’ll be two tickets for your double-wide.”

[quote]Otep wrote:
I don’t think they’re describing ‘beefy’ or ‘curvy’ people…[/quote]

I think you are right, they mean roundoids.

good

Finally !!

I was at a motel a number of years back with a rather large lady friend. She went to use the bathroom and I was alarmed that she might NOT fit through the door. She made it much to my relief. Having to dial 911 for my naked friend would have been a worst case scenario.

Am I the only one who instantly thinks this will be enforced less towards fat and obese people, and more towards large athletic types? Say…ProfX or someone of a similar size.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Hip, hip, hooray![/quote]

Agree!

[quote]JLu wrote:
Am I the only one who instantly thinks this will be enforced less towards fat and obese people, and more towards large athletic types? Say…ProfX or someone of a similar size.[/quote]

If your to big your to big, doesnt matter if its muscle or fat, your using more room and gas.

I fly a bit for work, and have experienced ‘the enormous person next to you’. Not bodybuilding enormous, but Jabba-The-Hut fat. I tend to get window seats and I get pinned to the damn fuselage.

Otep-- you’re right. “Beefy” implies big and muscular. “Curvy” speaks for itself. I’ve never seen either have a problem.

This idea sounds good on paper, but imagine trying to remove an irate, seriously obese person from a typical plane (they’re not all 757’s…) on what is likely a late flight anyway (my company is batting about 60% on-time flights). After sitting 10 hrs in an airport waiting for another flight after a delay/cancellation, then getting told you can’t board because you’re too fat is not likely to go over well.

I feel bad for tall people. I’m 5-9 and I can hardly get enough leg room, but superobese people? Pressurize cargo and throw 'em down there.

I could go on for pages about the ‘annoyances of flying’…

[quote]JLu wrote:
Am I the only one who instantly thinks this will be enforced less towards fat and obese people, and more towards large athletic types? Say…ProfX or someone of a similar size.[/quote]

Probably true, although someone like X probably have more issues with upper body width than getting their ass in a seat.

At 5’10 and 210 I’m not that big and I have to lean away from the aisle whenever a cart comes through or someone walks by.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
JLu wrote:
Am I the only one who instantly thinks this will be enforced less towards fat and obese people, and more towards large athletic types? Say…ProfX or someone of a similar size.

Probably true, although someone like X probably have more issues with upper body width than getting their ass in a seat.

At 5’10 and 210 I’m not that big and I have to lean away from the aisle whenever a cart comes through or someone walks by.[/quote]

I’m 6’ and 235 and was on a flight last week, a 757. I was of course on the aisle and kept getting whacked on the back of my upper arm with the fu%$ing cart. I had to keep an eye peeled for it and lean over when it came by.

BG