T Nation

Airline Lost My Bag

gregron, sorry for a slight hijack here, but you are a total beast. Have you had a how-you-train thread? I searched but couldn’t find one

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
gregron, sorry for a slight hijack here, but you are a total beast. Have you had a how-you-train thread? I searched but couldn’t find one[/quote]

X2.

The progress he’s made over the past year is awesome.

Now he just needs to grow that lovely 'stache back!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
gregron, sorry for a slight hijack here, but you are a total beast. Have you had a how-you-train thread? I searched but couldn’t find one[/quote]
Its photo shop he has a wife and kid now, he really looks like this.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Its photo shop he has a wife and kid now, he really looks like this.[/quote]

That sloth thinks he’s wolverine.

[quote]gregron wrote:
lol… Just for the record, I didn’t steal your bag :wink:

The reimbursement went really well actually. Turned in all my receipts and after about 30 minutes in the bck room verifying everything they came out and wrote me a check for $804. Pretty sweet. Still have to finish my claim for the rest of my stuff in the bag but they paid me back for the clothes I needed to buy during the trip. Kinda wish I woulda bought/replaced more stuff lol.

Oh yeah and that bag was awesome. I love it and will definitely be buying another one once they settle my claim.[/quote]

Holy crap, that’s kind of impressive! I’m never going to throw away another receipt as long as I live.

lolol that picture is amazing! I can only hope to one day have a family portrait that awesome.

Ummm no I don’t have a how do you train thread and really don’t think I’m at the level to deserve one, TBH.

I’d be happy to go into it a little bit and continue the mini hijack if anyone’s interested. I definitely don’t have all the answers but I can tell you what I’ve found to be helpful.

Lemme know… And I really appreciate the kind words.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
lol… Just for the record, I didn’t steal your bag :wink:

The reimbursement went really well actually. Turned in all my receipts and after about 30 minutes in the bck room verifying everything they came out and wrote me a check for $804. Pretty sweet. Still have to finish my claim for the rest of my stuff in the bag but they paid me back for the clothes I needed to buy during the trip. Kinda wish I woulda bought/replaced more stuff lol.

Oh yeah and that bag was awesome. I love it and will definitely be buying another one once they settle my claim.[/quote]

Holy crap, that’s kind of impressive! I’m never going to throw away another receipt as long as I live.[/quote]

Yeah I kinda wish I had receipts for all the stuff that was lost. I was surprise that they actually paid for everything I bought up there and definitely wouf have paid more. I know there is a cap but no one would tell me what it was haha.

[quote]gregron wrote:
lolol that picture is amazing! I can only hope to one day have a family portrait that awesome.

Ummm no I don’t have a how do you train thread and really don’t think I’m at the level to deserve one, TBH.

I’d be happy to go into it a little bit and continue the mini hijack if anyone’s interested. I definitely don’t have all the answers but I can tell you what I’ve found to be helpful.

Lemme know… And I really appreciate the kind words.[/quote]

man you are definitely at that level! Please do tell us a bit about your training and nutrition. That is, after all, why we’re all here; to learn from big dudes like you.

Wow I’m really surprised they reimbursed you that much. Your FIL must be a super big shot with them LOL

I went over to the UK for a work trip a couple years ago and one of my colleagues picked up his suitcase from the airline and it looked like it had been through a paper shredder. I have no idea how a bag could get this fucked up.

But he had a suit in it since it was a business trip, and it was in tatters, so he had to buy one in expensive ass London (with shitty exchange rate) and it ended up costing him a pretty good amount. The airline ended up reimbursing him something like $200 TOTAL for everything, and in this case it was obvious that the airline fucked up (as opposed to someone maybe just having come in off the street and stolen it). I don’t rememebr what airline it was, but I should probably find out and avoid them.

Glad to hear this one ended well for you.

Also, I didn’t know you had a kid. Cool!

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Its photo shop he has a wife and kid now, he really looks like this.[/quote]

That sloth thinks he’s wolverine.[/quote]

LMFAO!!

Sometimes the stuff you come up with hits me right in the funny boner, SS!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Wow I’m really surprised they reimbursed you that much. Your FIL must be a super big shot with them LOL

I went over to the UK for a work trip a couple years ago and one of my colleagues picked up his suitcase from the airline and it looked like it had been through a paper shredder. I have no idea how a bag could get this fucked up.

But he had a suit in it since it was a business trip, and it was in tatters, so he had to buy one in expensive ass London (with shitty exchange rate) and it ended up costing him a pretty good amount. The airline ended up reimbursing him something like $200 TOTAL for everything, and in this case it was obvious that the airline fucked up (as opposed to someone maybe just having come in off the street and stolen it). I don’t rememebr what airline it was, but I should probably find out and avoid them.

Glad to hear this one ended well for you.

Also, I didn’t know you had a kid. Cool![/quote]

Dang man that sounds awful! I flew with Alaska and apparently they are pretty good about this sort of thing. I’m sure that I could have bought quite a bit more because the airlines guy said “the total came out to $804 and we will DEFINITELY cover that much since its been more than a week.” That part was what really made me think I could have replaced more stuff up there but oh well.

Yeah man, the wife and I had a little baby boy almost 3 months ago. It’s been awesome so far, he’s a blast.

Is this your missing bag?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Please do tell us a bit about your training and nutrition.[/quote]

Ok well here we go…

I started “working out” in highschool for football and track. The typical mediocre highschool lifting program but it exposed me to the basic lifts. I really loved football but could care less about lifting TBH and half assed it. I never hit it consistently and graduated at 5’11 165lbs. After highschool I played college football and got more into lifting. Still wasn’t very consistent or serious about it, just did it because it was part of football. I got up to around 175 after my sophomore season. After playing college ball for 2 years 9/11 happened and I decided to quit plying ball and join the military.

When I was in the military I did tons of running, swimming and body weight stuff like push ups, pull ups and sit ups. Never really put on much size because of all the running and swimming. This was when I got pretty involved in lifting. I pretty much did different variations of BP splits throughout my entire training career. Staples were always: bench(and variations) pull ups, dips, squats, DB rows, curls, triceps push down variations… Again, there wasn’t that much consistency until about two years before I got out. That’s when I found T Nation and got more serious about my training.

At this point I had gotten up to roughly 190 or so. Not a lot of weight gain but then again that was never my goal. I just started consistently lifting and tryingto eat enough food.

I never really counted calories, I would just eat more food if I wasn’t gaining like I wanted to and eat less if I wanted to lose weight. Not a very scientific approach lol.

After getting out of the military is when I started to ramp things up. I stopped running any sort of distance and stopped swimming all together and that’s when I started to put on more size. I think the 3+ miles swimming and 15+ miles running a week was definitely holding back muscle gain.

Over the course of the next two years I got up as heavy as 220 with abs but didn’t like myself at that weight. I did a typical BP split but always had trouble with shoulders because of a surgically repaired torn labrum. That shoulder injury prevented me from OHPing of any sort for over a year. Over the past year or so I discovered meadows stuff for shoulders and have finally started to enjoy some shoulder size gains.

I did a brief stint into powerlifting for the fun of it. It was a good time and I ended up hitting 455 on squat, 345 on bench and 475 on DL. The meet was a ton of fun but nothing earth shattering whatsoever but a good experience and not terrible for only 6 weeks prep.

I usually (not since the baby though lol) hit the gym 5 days a week. My most recent split has looked like this:
Chest/Rear Delts
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms

I am currently sitting around 215lbs at 5’11 and I have no idea about BF%'s. I don’t really care what te number is and just go by how I look.

Ok so that’s a basic overview about my training history and where I am at now. I would have liked to fill this out more but I am writing from my phone and things are a bit crazy right now. I’d be happy to get more into specifics about pretty much anything that people want to know about so ask away and ill get into it.

FST7

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Please do tell us a bit about your training and nutrition.[/quote]

Ok well here we go…

I started “working out” in highschool for football and track. The typical mediocre highschool lifting program but it exposed me to the basic lifts. I really loved football but could care less about lifting TBH and half assed it. I never hit it consistently and graduated at 5’11 165lbs. After highschool I played college football and got more into lifting. Still wasn’t very consistent or serious about it, just did it because it was part of football. I got up to around 175 after my sophomore season. After playing college ball for 2 years 9/11 happened and I decided to quit plying ball and join the military.

When I was in the military I did tons of running, swimming and body weight stuff like push ups, pull ups and sit ups. Never really put on much size because of all the running and swimming. This was when I got pretty involved in lifting. I pretty much did different variations of BP splits throughout my entire training career. Staples were always: bench(and variations) pull ups, dips, squats, DB rows, curls, triceps push down variations… Again, there wasn’t that much consistency until about two years before I got out. That’s when I found T Nation and got more serious about my training.

At this point I had gotten up to roughly 190 or so. Not a lot of weight gain but then again that was never my goal. I just started consistently lifting and tryingto eat enough food.

I never really counted calories, I would just eat more food if I wasn’t gaining like I wanted to and eat less if I wanted to lose weight. Not a very scientific approach lol.

After getting out of the military is when I started to ramp things up. I stopped running any sort of distance and stopped swimming all together and that’s when I started to put on more size. I think the 3+ miles swimming and 15+ miles running a week was definitely holding back muscle gain.

Over the course of the next two years I got up as heavy as 220 with abs but didn’t like myself at that weight. I did a typical BP split but always had trouble with shoulders because of a surgically repaired torn labrum. That shoulder injury prevented me from OHPing of any sort for over a year. Over the past year or so I discovered meadows stuff for shoulders and have finally started to enjoy some shoulder size gains.

I did a brief stint into powerlifting for the fun of it. It was a good time and I ended up hitting 455 on squat, 345 on bench and 475 on DL. The meet was a ton of fun but nothing earth shattering whatsoever but a good experience and not terrible for only 6 weeks prep.

I usually (not since the baby though lol) hit the gym 5 days a week. My most recent split has looked like this:
Chest/Rear Delts
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Arms

I am currently sitting around 215lbs at 5’11 and I have no idea about BF%'s. I don’t really care what te number is and just go by how I look.

Ok so that’s a basic overview about my training history and where I am at now. I would have liked to fill this out more but I am writing from my phone and things are a bit crazy right now. I’d be happy to get more into specifics about pretty much anything that people want to know about so ask away and ill get into it.
[/quote]

thanks for the detailed reply, and well done for adding like 60lbs of muscle.

congrats on the new arrival too

Thanks a lot, definitely appreciate it. Probably not quite 60 lbs of muscle but, yeah.

If you are interested in any more training specifics then let me know. Ill be happy to answer to the best or my ability. Unfortunately I’ve never counted macros or calories (except when I was doing the RFL) but I’ve kept lifting logs for years so I can advise a little better on weights, sets and all that if that’s what you’re interested in. Also I’ve got a lifting “philosophy” if you will, so I can go into that more if you are after that info.

Hope any of this helps.

yeah thanks man I was interested to hear about your nutrition but you don’t even care! Lol.

What’s the lifting philosophy?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
yeah thanks man I was interested to hear about your nutrition but you don’t even care! Lol.

What’s the lifting philosophy?[/quote]

lol, yeah my nutrition is all by feel. I don’t want to ever compete or anything like that so it’s not something that I’m very meticulous about. I usually drink 1-3 protein shakes a day but recently stopped using whey and started using HumaPro. It’s awesome and I love it.

I try to eat lots of protein but don’t track it. Usually 8-12 eggs for breakfast, lunch is left overs from dinner the night before and then dinner is usually steak or chicken plus rice/veggies/salad. (I always make extra so I have leftovers for lunch)

My philosophy on lifting is that there really isn’t such thing as overtraining… You’re body is just under conditioned lol. I’m a big volume guy and think that you just have to build yourself up to it. Your body can do a lot more than most people think.

I believe in lifting heavy to keep your strength up but to make sure and stay in a high enough rep range to stimulate growth. Also, make sure that you feel the target muscle working throughout the movement. People would be surprised how well you can hit your bi’s by doing curls with the 30’s lol.

Cardio is the worst lol… But if I’m doing cardio my preferred methods are: sprints, rowing machine, jump rope, step mill (the rotating stair kind) and incline treadmill walking.

Again, I never have the desire to compete or anything like that. I just enjoy lifting weights, feeling/looking good and staying athletic as I get older.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Again, I never have the desire to compete or anything like that. I just enjoy lifting weights, feeling/looking good and staying athletic as I get older.[/quote]

This is a BB forum.

Great call on the ‘underconditioned vs overtrained’ mindset.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
Again, I never have the desire to compete or anything like that. I just enjoy lifting weights, feeling/looking good and staying athletic as I get older.[/quote]

This is a BB forum.

Great call on the ‘underconditioned vs overtrained’ mindset.

[/quote]

I thought this was the Get a Life forum?