Air Fresheners Kill Testosterone!

I just heard it on CBS news. Some consumer watchdog group did a study of common household airfresheners, you know, like Renuzit, Oust, etc., and almost all of them contain some nasty chemical named Thalades (sp?). Apparently this chemical was shown to harm “several hormones, testosterone in particular.”

I googeled Thalades, couldn't find it. Any chemists out there? In the meantime, I'm throwing my cans away-we've used them for years.

Ahhhh CRAP. I have that freshmatic auto sprayer in my living room!

Do you mean phthalates?

why does everything seem to act as an oestrogen or kill testosterone!!! its just not fair. Why can they find out that the water suply is contaminated with a testosterone like chemical that make all the men more muscular and the women horney as fuck.

Life isn’t fair.
am i right in thinking that chemically oestrogen is very similar to testosterone? so then why do we never hear of a testosterone like substance floating around??? the law of averages would say that given all the photo-oestrogens there should be at least some photo-testosterones.

BINGO, BigRagoo. It’s Phthalates. I’m a little deaf from age and Ipod abuse. Google Phthalates and testosterone, and there it is, a study by University of Rochester Medical Center showing the link between these nasty chemical and T.

Apparently, these chemicals have been suspected to be harmful for years, as I saw lots of sites associating them with all sorts of bad possible reactions: obesity, diabetes, cancer. But those articles don’t look as solid as this one. Throw out the shit!

[quote]wukey wrote:
why does everything seem to act as an oestrogen or kill testosterone!!! its just not fair. Why can they find out that the water suply is contaminated with a testosterone like chemical that make all the men more muscular and the women horney as fuck.

Life isn’t fair.
am i right in thinking that chemically oestrogen is very similar to testosterone? so then why do we never hear of a testosterone like substance floating around??? the law of averages would say that given all the photo-oestrogens there should be at least some photo-testosterones.[/quote]

It may be due to the fact that testosterone will degrade or aromatize fairly easily in an environment that is not suited for it’s stability.

Yes I saw that. Theres are article on T-Nation about Xestrogens in the environment, do a google on airfesheners and testosterone T-Nation it should pop up. Only advice I can say about it is to not fret, and spray less. I doubt that anybody has been more effected by that than any of the other estrogen like compounds out there.

What the fuck is up with all this shit in the environment messing with my testosterone, I already sacrifice enough of it for my gf. Why can’t plants have Plant TESTOSTERONES??? Like…the phallic vegetables like carrots and cucumbers should have the most plant testosterone and then the shit like beets should be filled with phytoestrogens.

It’s hard being a man these days.

[quote]Wordwreckin wrote:
What the fuck is up with all this shit in the environment messing with my testosterone, I already sacrifice enough of it for my gf. Why can’t plants have Plant TESTOSTERONES??? Like…the phallic vegetables like carrots and cucumbers should have the most plant testosterone and then the shit like beets should be filled with phytoestrogens.

It’s hard being a man these days. [/quote]

I know right?! Fuckin’ environment!

I swear to God, Arnold and Steve Reeves that this is true.
AFTER I wrote this post, this evening I take my son to workout. He knows nothing about this story. We both notice the car smells more rank than usual. It usually smells from something sweaty left in there. He looked around, sniffing, and identified the culprit. MY weightlifting gloves. We kept a can of OUST in there, and he promptly sprays half the can on them before I yell at him to stop. I explain to him why, and he apologizes, but the damage was done. My best triple in the Military Press went down 20 pounds today. SEE, PROOF!!!

It’s amazing how often being ‘behind the times’ ends up being ‘ahead of the times’.

I don’t believe in crap like air fresheners. Adding all those chemicals to our environs has too much risk of harm, for little or no real benefit.

A healthy skepticism about these products can do wonders for our health (and wallets). Sometimes the healthiest exercise is the one we don’t do (ie - don’t reach for that air freshener) :wink:

“Only two, Febreze Air Effects and Renuzit Subtle Effects, contained no detectable levels of phthalates.”

Use Febreze.

Hey, thanks, Nate. Now I don’t have to clean my car.

This culture of convenience that perpetuates the creation and marketing of these dangerous, chemically laden, synthetic, man-made chemicals at the expense of the public health, is beginning to disgust me.

Just the other day I saw that Glad is marketing their new microwavable plastic steam bags as a new miracle. The obsession with comfort and convenience among our society is leading to our early deaths and health problems, and not only through our sedentary lifestyles and food choices. It sickens me.

Safe alternatives to both problems:

1.Diffuse aromatherapy essential oils(avoid lavender + tea tree). Even incense would be better.

2.Actually take the time to steam your own fucking vegetables instead of exposing yourself to unnecessary amounts of synthetic estrogens. A plus: the veggies will actually taste better and be superior nutritionally through preservation of antioxidant phytochemicals and vitamins.

[/rant]

Ozium was one of the three highest in phthalates. Damn it all to hell.

Word to the wise,

Many aromatherapy oils also have antibacterial/anti-viral effects when diffused in the air. Not only do they “cleanse” the air, they also fill the indoors of where they’re diffused with rich, natural fragrances(think cooking with cinnamon, clove, citrus, cardamom, and the aroma that brings).

They seem like the perfect substitute for these dangerous products every average American household seems to have, and they’re quite affordable, seeing how a small vial of pure essential oil is so concentrated. A few drops is all that’s needed.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but they really do work.

[quote]abcd1234 wrote:
This culture of convenience that perpetuates the creation and marketing of these dangerous, chemically laden, synthetic, man-made chemicals at the expense of the public health, is beginning to disgust me.

Just the other day I saw that Glad is marketing their new microwavable plastic steam bags as a new miracle. The obsession with comfort and convenience among our society is leading to our early deaths and health problems, and not only through our sedentary lifestyles and food choices. It sickens me.

Safe alternatives to both problems:

1.Diffuse aromatherapy essential oils(avoid lavender + tea tree). Even incense would be better.

2.Actually take the time to steam your own fucking vegetables instead of exposing yourself to unnecessary amounts of synthetic estrogens. A plus: the veggies will actually taste better and be superior nutritionally through preservation of antioxidant phytochemicals and vitamins.

[/rant] [/quote]

Good post!

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
This thread has evolved far beyond what I thought was just a “head’s up” comment. It is a serious situation and the air fresheners ARE symbolic of our culture-chemicals to fix everything.

Under the guise of making life “easier” for us, we were progressively brainwashed that formula is better than breast milk, margarine is the cooking oil of choice, fast food is real food, and on and on. Damn, I do love America, but what it going to be the legacy of our culture?

BTW, I’m not really a slob; closet neat freak actually, and I use essential oils a lot. But I always feel REAL WEIRD being this big hulking guy in these feminine-oriented, holistic boutique shops that sell the good oils. I get these hidden smirks from the cashiers when I ask…Do you have Patchouli today? And by the way, if you’re lucky enough to find some real lotus oil-have fun, it’s a natural high.[/quote]

It’s encouraging to hear that I’m not the only one who enjoys the benefits of plant oils.

I use to employ lavender and tea tree oils frequently(tea tree was especially useful for clearing up acne), and studies have surfaced warning of their potential estrogenic effects(which is really what our bodies need more of- more hormonal disruption) in creating gyno in adolescent boys who used soaps containing them.

They are, of course, the exception. Clove oil is perhaps the most powerful plant anti-oxidant known and exhibits strong anti-microbial properties as well. Of course getting the laymen of America to abandon their perception that aromatherapy is too feminine, fu-fu, and pussified is probably unlikely(just look at body fragrances like Axe and Old Spice that smell nothing like anything in nature, compared to perfumes that generally smell more “flowery” and natural). Then again, I might just be overly cynical.

Too many god-damn parenthesis.(it’s a habit)

I was ready to tap out of T-Nation for a few days but I can’t help but wanna read responses on this thread.

DAMN!!! Tea tree and lavender kill T too? I ignorantly thought you mentioned them together because they aromatically clash if used in combination.

They have been two of my favorite oils for the last TEN years. 
Now I'm starting to wonder if my woeful T level of 105 is really predominantly due to varicoceles after all. The more I read, the more I find out HOW MANY FUCKING GOD DAMN TESTOSTERONE ROBBERS are out there. 

I eliminated distance running, hard bicycle seats, heating pads anywhere near my nuts, tight underwear, Soy protein, a dozen other things, and of course the DAMN AIR FRESHENERS. Do we all have to become the FUCKING TESTOSTERONE POLICE, constantly on guard for that which would deplete us of our most precious hormone?
Damn I’m pissed.

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
I was ready to tap out of T-Nation for a few days but I can’t help but wanna read responses on this thread.

DAMN!!! Tea tree and lavender kill T too? I ignorantly thought you mentioned them together because they aromatically clash if used in combination.

They have been two of my favorite oils for the last TEN years. 
Now I'm starting to wonder if my woeful T level of 105 is really predominantly due to varicoceles after all. The more I read, the more I find out HOW MANY FUCKING GOD DAMN TESTOSTERONE ROBBERS are out there. 

I eliminated distance running, hard bicycle seats, heating pads anywhere near my nuts, tight underwear, Soy protein, a dozen other things, and of course the DAMN AIR FRESHENERS. Do we all have to become the FUCKING TESTOSTERONE POLICE, constantly on guard for that which would deplete us of our most precious hormone?
Damn I’m pissed.[/quote]

Obsession is never healthy, but the literature that’s out there is pretty frightening. Over the last 20 years, the average T levels have dropped 1% each year for men of ALL AGES, meaning me at 19 years old today have less T than a 19 year old in 1987(based on averages). It’s depressing because we seemingly have little control over such hormonal declines that are caused by our environment. Of course, scientists estimate rise in obesity and a drop in the smoking rate as two factors to consider. Still, the impact of these xenoestrogens is unknown, which makes it even more scary. They could be doing far more damage than anyone in the scientific community knows.

Links:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/63421.php

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/newscience/reproduction/2006/2006-1210travisonetal.html

http://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/dd200612/dd20061204a.html