T Nation

Air Force Bodybuilding-Friendly Jobs Pt.2

Swore in yesterday, the 17th for Air Force Active duty. Listed Fire Protection, contracting, NDI, broadcast journalist, Logistics plans as my 5 desired jobs on my contract(my recruiter suggested contracting, ndi, logistic plans). The following day (today) was my first day DEP meeting, just found out about quick ship option.

My concern is listing the worst jobs as exceptions not to take. As stated in a forum months before, Iâ??m looking for bodybuilding friendly jobs. The first job I thought about putting on the exception list was Security Forcesâ?¦.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

Enthusiastically,
Soon to be, Airman 1st Class Gonzalez

Well, serious question: why did you join the Air Force? What are your plans for your future?

PJ, pilot or bust.

Combat Controller (CCT) AFSC 1C2X1

My main plan for the future is to constantly build my physique and spirit. So choices revolve around that principle. One great accomplishment Id like to achieve is to be a successful individual in the military’s world class athlete program. Im sure you can critique these statements by something among the lines of : be more serious with your future . But “i dont take life too seriously, I wont ever get out of it alive”. My main passion is working out and being in great shape. Its possible Ill stay in the military for a long time, I consider myself to be significantly disciplined, don’t give a shit about a drinking, smoking and am very organized with how I spend my time each day. I feel that active duty air force enlistment is the best move for me right now, so Im concentrating on taking that single task on to the best of my ability.

I never thought about putting the spec ops jobs down, because I think you have to volunteer for them, as well as the pilot job.

The most built guys I hung with were all Firemen or MP’s.

There were one or two staff sergeants who worked the flight line who were built, but they really had to force those meals in because of the schedule.

I figure I will have to drink bcaas or casein hydrosylate throughout the day IF my job is very hectic

Thanks for all the input/advice guys!

Have just been processing all the info/advice Ive been receiving these couple of days. Im still pretty sold on doing this quick-ship list.
I think Ive just about completed my exception list of jobs I dont want:

services
security forces
ALL Mechanical aptitude jobs
surgical service
pest management

Dude … Former Marine, worked with all kinds of military here and overseas …

As a group, USAF security forces were hands down the happiest folks I ever encountered in ANY military

I wouldn’t cross that off the list unless the work just really doesn’t appeal to you … Might get boring at times ( like any police job ) but wouldn’t be very physically taxing… And you’d be doing shift work, which would give you chances to be at the base gym OFF hours…that can be huge at a busy base with a small gym when it’s 6pm and everyone is there!

Just my .02 … Best of luck!

[quote]Stiglitz wrote:

As a group, USAF security forces were hands down the happiest folks I ever encountered in ANY military[/quote]

Yep…and the gyms are so much better than the other forces that I got to hear about if we ever teamed up.

Thanks for the insight devildog!

But Im sticking to my gunz on this one, haha.

I should be shipping out this Tuesday, I turned in the sheet with those job exceptions.

[quote]Stiglitz wrote:

As a group, USAF security forces were hands down the happiest folks I ever encountered in ANY military

I wouldn’t cross that off the list unless the work just really doesn’t appeal to you … Might get boring at times ( like any police job ) but wouldn’t be very physically taxing… And you’d be doing shift work, which would give you chances to be at the base gym OFF hours…that can be huge at a busy base with a small gym when it’s 6pm and everyone is there!

Just my .02 … Best of luck! [/quote]

Aerospace Ground Equipment is pretty relaxed and I always could get a lifting session in when I was in that AFSC. However I’ve only been to Pope and Duke Field.
Like the other guy mentioned, Security Forces would be a good one or maybe something medical… Loadmaster although an interesting job, the schedule and flight times are probably too hectic to lift on a consistent schedule… Good luck!!

Good for you. You joined an Armed Force, the cowards did not.

I was an Air Policeman, SOG and it was all great. After Basic and Air Police school the USAF had me additionally trained at University of Maryland for criminology, Many courses from the Army Provoist Marshall General Schools, US Bureau of Prisons, Institute of Applied Sciences for investigations, and more and more. When I got out police depts fell over backwards to get me. We used to handle jobs alone, where today they sent a SWAT team. Veterans know how to handle trouble.

At age 70 I gtry to just work for my self, collecting bad checks, bills, small store embezzlement and serving papers. I am the highest paid in each of these fields, and love it. It is good to feel useful, and still alive.

Besides, you will have VA benefits when you get out. The “talkers” who did not have the guts to sign up full time will still be the wanna bee’s. Good for you, you are doing the right thing. And we have great base gymns.

Thanks for the input!

How was your transition right after you got in the military?

What are you doing now?

[quote]pelham32 wrote:
Aerospace Ground Equipment is pretty relaxed and I always could get a lifting session in when I was in that AFSC. However I’ve only been to Pope and Duke Field.
Like the other guy mentioned, Security Forces would be a good one or maybe something medical… Loadmaster although an interesting job, the schedule and flight times are probably too hectic to lift on a consistent schedule… Good luck!![/quote]

Thanks for your contribution to the thread and the Greatest Air Force!

“The biggest risk, is not taking a risk.”

Its unfortunate, that some guys you want to remain friends with, dont want to grow, so you just have to leave them alone. I tried to get some of my former friends to join the armed forces, but they’re too set on remaining mediocre in life. Im not saying that Armed Forces is the only answer, but they really dont have shit going on right now. I hope they muster up the confidence to take some risks and I can link up with them later on life when they’ve had an awakening, cuz I will not waste my time around lifeless people.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Good for you. You joined an Armed Force, the cowards did not.

I was an Air Policeman, SOG and it was all great. After Basic and Air Police school the USAF had me additionally trained at University of Maryland for criminology, Many courses from the Army Provoist Marshall General Schools, US Bureau of Prisons, Institute of Applied Sciences for investigations, and more and more. When I got out police depts fell over backwards to get me. We used to handle jobs alone, where today they sent a SWAT team. Veterans know how to handle trouble.

At age 70 I gtry to just work for my self, collecting bad checks, bills, small store embezzlement and serving papers. I am the highest paid in each of these fields, and love it. It is good to feel useful, and still alive.

Besides, you will have VA benefits when you get out. The “talkers” who did not have the guts to sign up full time will still be the wanna bee’s. Good for you, you are doing the right thing. And we have great base gymns.[/quote]

[quote]VlocoG wrote:
Thanks for the input!

What are you doing now?

[quote]pelham32 wrote:
Like the other guy mentioned, Security Forces would be a good one or maybe something medical… Loadmaster although an interesting job, the schedule and flight times are probably too hectic to lift on a consistent schedule… Good luck!![/quote]
[/quote]

In basic training you can’t really lift, but you participate in calisthenics and running with the flight. In tech school you can lift but also have to participate in Squadron PT… I’m currently in school… A word of advice , CLEP test everything you can while in military because its free…

Whoops! I meant, “How was your transition right after you got OUT of the military?”

[quote]pelham32 wrote:

[quote]VlocoG wrote:
Thanks for the input!

What are you doing now?

[quote]pelham32 wrote:
[/quote]

In basic training you can’t really lift, but you participate in calisthenics and running with the flight. In tech school you can lift but also have to participate in Squadron PT… I’m currently in school… A word of advice , CLEP test everything you can while in military because its free…[/quote]

The best jobs in the military for bodybuilding are the most relaxed jobs.

Jobs where they won’t bitch at you for eating chicken breasts or protein shakes in the middle of the day.

Jobs where the pt schedule is so chill it has minimal impact on your recovery and workouts.

You don’t want to run 5-6 miles a day in the military then do a bunch of push ups then get off at 6pm and your last meal was at 11:30 then go to the gym.

What do you think about my job exception list I put down?

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
The best jobs in the military for bodybuilding are the most relaxed jobs.

Jobs where they won’t bitch at you for eating chicken breasts or protein shakes in the middle of the day.

Jobs where the pt schedule is so chill it has minimal impact on your recovery and workouts.

You don’t want to run 5-6 miles a day in the military then do a bunch of push ups then get off at 6pm and your last meal was at 11:30 then go to the gym. [/quote]

I am currently security forces and have been for 3 years, and have been training in powerlifting for 2 years. I wouldnt really recommend it to most, most days it is really boring and there is massive amounts of bullshit to deal with from leadership. The people you meet aer fun because of all the crap we deal with. Working 8-12 hr+ shifts, with 20+lbs of gear and weapons all day, with extra gear bags, AND trying to consume proper nutrition is pretty much impossible unless you are back office.

I have a good friend who wants to be a bodybuilder in SF, also he is HUGE( 6’3" 250lbs, 22" arms, intelligent, and is passionate about BB), but even he isnt bothering to train properly until he gets out because he knows its almost impossible. Most of the strongest and biggest are SF or fire, and spec ops of course. But I wouldnt suggest spec ops unless its something that you live for because if you dont really want it bad you will fail out quick. I would suggest fire, CE, or some easy desk job. That way you can focus on nutrition and your training