AIDS in NYC

Um . . . it’s the other way around. The “liberal PC culture” for a long time (and especially in the first few years after AIDS was discovered), in an effort not to sound bigoted and let it be labeled a “gay disease” claimed that AIDS was a disease that targeted EVERYONE, that EVERYONE was in equal danger of this “epidemic.”

Not true. The statistics have born that out, and the rates of infection never progressed to what epidemiologists would actually characterize as an epidemic.

The virus is mostly spread among gay males and among IV drug users – 99.9999999% of the time in the direction from male-to-female in the cases of heterosexual interactions.

It is now acknowledged by many that, instead of spending money in the 80’s and 90’s on TV commercials targeting middle class, white, suburban, largely married America with ads that said “AIDS affects EVERYONE,” those resources would have saved far, far more lives if they’d been targeted where the problem really WAS a problem:

the gay male community, the inner city where IV drug use was a problem, and minority communities, where IV drug use was often a problem as well as a lack of education and quality healthcare.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
A major problem is that our liberal PC culture is now treating AIDS like some kind of alternative lifestyle choice rather that the outright fucking plague from Hell that it is. [/quote]

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Having compassion for people with a deadly illness is “liberal PC” now?

No, but acting like it was not their fault is nothing but liberal PC bullshit.

Unless you are a hemophiliac, or unlucky SOB who gets the wrong transfusion, there is no fucking way you can contract AIDS with out voluntarily ignoring precautions.

Personally, except in the very rare case, most everyone who contracts AIDS is a fucking idiot, and there is no reason whatsoever to act as if they are anything but a fucking fool.

I am speaking about North America only, if that even matters to the idiotic fucking PC police.

Who in the hell claims it wasn’t there fault? “Yeah, one of my last few random partners FORCED me to not use a condom.” Oh yeah. People totally say that all the time.[/quote]

I don’t suppose you are old enough to remember, but they had a quilt that had the names of all the AIDS “victims” on it.

People who have AIDS are referred to as VICTIMS. Just the very term suggests that it was not their fault.

People are pissed that the government is not spending enough on a disease that is voluntarily contracted.

Doesn’t really sound like taking responsibility for one’s actions.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
One can believe that people have brought doom upon themselves by their own actions. And, one can believe those same people should feel shame and regret for carrying on with such actions. Yet, we can still feel and show compassion for them.[/quote]

I have not passed judgment on any choices that have been made. I never said they needed to be shamed or live with any regrets.

AIDS is a disease that is contracted by choice. I don’t think anyone should be compelled to show compassion for anything they don’t want to.

That’s not the job of a government.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Sloth wrote:
One can believe that people have brought doom upon themselves by their own actions. And, one can believe those same people should feel shame and regret for carrying on with such actions. Yet, we can still feel and show compassion for them.

I have not passed judgment on any choices that have been made. I never said they needed to be shamed or live with any regrets.

AIDS is a disease that is contracted by choice. I don’t think anyone should be compelled to show compassion for anything they don’t want to.

That’s not the job of a government. [/quote]

I think it’s more to the point that AIDS really isn’t as big of a plague as most people think. Compared to cancer and heart disease, AIDS kills few.

Hence, the government, if it shall focus on anything, should probably start there.

‘[…] New technology and methodology developed by CDC show that the incidence of HIV in the United States is higher than was previously known. However, the incidence has been stable at that higher level for most of this decade. […] The new estimates show that gay and bisexual men of all races and ethnicities and African American men and women are the groups most affected by HIV. Fifty three percent of all new infections in 2006 occurred in gay and bisexual men. African Americans, while comprising 13% of the US population, accounted for 45% of the new HIV infections in 2006.
The analysis revealed some encouraging signs of progress as well as significant challenges. Findings documented reductions in new infections among both injecting drug users and heterosexuals over time. Yet, the findings also indicate that HIV incidence has been steadily increasing among gay and bisexual men since the early 1990s, confirming a trend suggested by prior data showing increases in risk behavior, sexually transmitted diseases, and HIV diagnoses in this population throughout the past decade. The analysis also found that new infections among blacks are at a higher level than any other racial or ethnic group, though they have been roughly stable, with some fluctuations, since the early 1990s. The new estimates highlight the need for expanded HIV prevention services and should serve as a wake-up call that the US HIV/AIDS epidemic is far from over. […]’

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/incidence.htm

What do we take from this? Firstly, that the CDC has corrected its figures significantly upwards and does indeed refer to HIV/AIDS as an epidemic.

Secondly, that while there is a significant problem with reaching MSM (and therefore a growing infection rate while the overall rate is stable - maybe even a result of education targeted at the heterosexuals?) a whopping 31% of infections in 2006 happened in a heterosexual context - anyone who refers to that as negligible needs to wake up: identifying and focusing on risk groups only, while ignoring the significant remaining risk puts lives in danger.

Thirdly, that there is an overrepresentation of black and hispanic victims (that’s what you call people who are inflicted with a disease, however acquired) - which is consistent with the argument that socio-economic factors play a significant role in affecting risk behaviours.

I know that it’s a bit of a sport here to wish away complex social phenomena with simplifying words such as ‘choice’ and ‘stupidity’ - and that is exactly where part of the problem lies: choice is based (correct) information and the ability to understand it and implement measures consistently. Unfortunately sex related and especially HIS/AIDS related information is consistently affected by socio-economic factors:

'[…]Homophobia and Concealment of Homosexual Behavior

Homophobia and stigma can cause some black MSM to identify themselves as heterosexual or not to disclose their sexual orientation. Indeed, black MSM are more likely than other MSM not to identify themselves as gay. The absence of self-identification or the absence of disclosure presents challenges to prevention programs. However, data suggest that these men are not at greater risk for HIV infection than are black MSM who identify themselves as gay. The findings of these studies do not mean that black MSM who do not identify themselves as gay or who do not disclose their sexual orientation do not engage in risky behaviors, but the findings do suggest that these men are not engaging in higher levels of risky behavior than are other black MSM.

Socioeconomic Issues

Socioeconomic issues and other social and structural influences affect the rates of HIV infection among blacks. In 1999, nearly 1 in 4 blacks were living in poverty. Studies have found an association between higher AIDS incidence and lower income. The socioeconomic problems associated with poverty, including limited access to high-quality health care, housing, and HIV prevention education, may directly or indirectly increase the risk factors for HIV infection.’
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/aa/challenges_partner.htm

Makkun

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Sloth wrote:
One can believe that people have brought doom upon themselves by their own actions. And, one can believe those same people should feel shame and regret for carrying on with such actions. Yet, we can still feel and show compassion for them.

I think it’s more to the point that AIDS really isn’t as big of a plague as most people think. Compared to cancer and heart disease, AIDS kills few.

Hence, the government, if it shall focus on anything, should probably start there.[/quote]

Where? Cancer, heart disease, or AIDS?

Sounds like a lot of male-on-male sex is going on in NYC.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Having compassion for people with a deadly illness is “liberal PC” now?

In this statement you are saying that it isn’t there fault for contracting the disease.

If a person is stupid enough to not take the necessary precautions for contracting the virus, then why do you have compassion for them? AID’s is a completely avoidable virus if you aren’t a fucking idiot (In nearly all cases).[/quote]

Dumbest post I’ve read since yesterday.

So, America is now the land of people who don’t give a shit about the sick? Because you think every person with AIDs got it from unprotected sex?

Because there are no kids with AIDs?

Dumbass.

[quote]Children newly infected with HIV in 2007 0.37 million

and

Children living with HIV/AIDS in 2007 2.0 million[/quote]

Yes, God forbid we call them “victims”.

Wow. That’s a lot of women who must really be gay guys.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Hence, the government, if it shall focus on anything, should probably start there.

Where? Cancer, heart disease, or AIDS?
[/quote]

Cancer > Heart Disease > Flu > AIDS.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Sounds like a lot of male-on-male sex is going on in NYC. [/quote]

Got more gays then anywhere else in the world. Greater concentration than San Fran.

Can’t tell can ya?

Oh! ANd Long Island, my home, has the highest rate in the nation. And we have relatively few gays. We also have the highest rate of teenage AIDS by a long shot. Or at least that’s what they tell us in assemblies <_<

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Hence, the government, if it shall focus on anything, should probably start there.[/quote]

Yup. cancer is the #1 killer of kids but you woudnt know that with all of the hysteria about AIDS.

Damn Yankees

[quote]jawara wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Yup. cancer is the #1 killer of kids but you woudnt know that with all of the hysteria about AIDS.
[/quote]

Actually, a lot of that has calmed down. Breast Cancer seems to be the flavor-disease of the year.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Actually, a lot of that has calmed down. Breast Cancer seems to be the flavor-disease of the year.
[/quote]

And it kills fewer people than prostate cancer.

You don’t see any body wearing a ribbon for prostate cancer, do you?

And no, those nut sacks dangling from the rear bumpers of pickups don’t count.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Oh! ANd Long Island, my home, has the highest rate in the nation. And we have relatively few gays. We also have the highest rate of teenage AIDS by a long shot. Or at least that’s what they tell us in assemblies <_<[/quote]

You’d better watch where you put your long island then!! Try the lemon test.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
A major problem is that our liberal PC culture is now treating AIDS like some kind of alternative lifestyle choice rather that the outright fucking plague from Hell that it is. [/quote]

It is related to lifestyle choices as the data presented by above jawara shows. Where have you been?