T Nation

AI: Automation, The Singularity, and Westworld

If you’re a super AI, and such creatures desire company, they aren’t going to feel stimulated with our pathetic intellects. No, they’ll wan’t other AIs to commune with. Associations that can actually keep up with their own individual intellect. In terms of speed, memory, multi-tasking (multiple super-conversations at once), etc. Super AIs aren’t going to care two tiddly-winks about being pals. Maybe pet-owners, if we’re lucky. And can you imagine some Hawking/Einstein like future figure trying to instruct super AI into how it’s going to serve mankind? It would still be like a toddler trying to instruct/command adults. Hope they’ll also see it as merely “precious.”

How old is that though? I don’t care if I’m 103 and on the brink of death. If someone hands me a jet pack I’m gonna fly it like I stole it, even if its the last thing I do!

Also probably why no one will ever give me a jet pack.

This is one of the key discussion points, there are many different opinions on how the super intelligent AI will act. It could keep us as pets. It could exterminate us because we are a waste of energy. It could let us be because of ethics. In Max Tegmark’s book he goes through 12 scenarios that are all plausible:
https://futureoflife.org/ai-aftermath-scenarios/

Take a look (not just @pat, anybody else can chime in), which one do you think is best? Or most likely?

Another critical point. Movies like terminator humanized machines, but there is no reason to believe that is what it would be like.

My $
EGALITARIAN UTOPIA or
GATEKEEPER or
SELF-DESTRUCTION

By the time they are developed for public use your jetpack will only be operable by the AI accompanying it. No way are they going to allow the chaos of human piloted mass aerial propulsion, unless self-driving AI has been dialed in. And we all know it’ll try to mass fly you/us into walls on the day of the Great Machine Uprising…

Just like the Nissan GT-R is programmed to not go over 90mph unless the computer senses you’re on a race track, things can be hacked.

I think they died after Super Bowl 1…

Assuming they are conscious and have ‘feelings’, perhaps. It could simply be a computational tool. As far as I know AI is still binary. It runs 1’s and 0’s, it’s going to have to be much more sophisticated than that

Funny, I just opened up this months copy of Strategic Finance

But you void the warranty if you take it to a track. That’s sucks…