T Nation

AI Arimidex Causes Finger and Joint Pain

I’m on 160 Test Cyp weekly and began to have swollen fingers with pain in the finger joints. Also sore elbows and ankles.

My doctor and I thought it was high estrogen because of the swollen finger joints. We increased anastrozole Arimidex to .25 EOD from previously .25 2x per week.

It didn’t help.

I have reduced Arimidex AI to .25 1x weekly and the swelling and joint pain are going away and my morning wood is back strong. I feel better on less Adex AI.

My E2 is at 38. I thought low E2 sore joints happened to men at under 20 E2 levels.

I’ve also read that there are 2 E2 measurements and one is very sensitive and the other is not. Could I have low E2 dry joint symptoms in the 30s? Or is it an overly sensitive reading?

For background my E2 was consistently in high teens naturally before starting trt.

I’m confused to why I’m having low E symptoms at higher E readings in the 30s. I’d love some help on this. If I didn’t have sore joints with E in teens naturally, why do I have sore joints at E in 30s on TRT with Adex AI?

Here’s my info:
-height: 5’11"
-waist: 34"
-weight: 205
-describe body and facial hair: Normal. No balding. Not much body hair.
-describe where you carry fat and how changed: Chest, back and gut. I’ve gotten fatter on trt by 10 lbs.
-health conditions, symptoms [history]: I was at 208 total T before beginning. My E2 was at 18.
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: None.
Testosterone: about 550 on day 7 after 160 Cyp
Estrogen: 38 pg/ml on day 7 after 160 Cyp injection
-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets]: Paleo. About 2500 calories per day.
-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]: Strong at Squats and bench. Not much cardio.

E2=38 was on 0.5mg/week anastrozole?
How long on that dose before the lab work?

When you do a dose change, it takes a week for the levels of anastrozole to finalized. So you cannot make fast changes.

You now have 3 threads for your case and I wonder if there is other important info elsewhere now.

Thank you for your help.

I’m not sure why there are three threads. I only made this one post.

Yes the 38 E2 was on .5 adex per week for about 3-4 weeks.

Not sure if it helps but on 10MG of Tamoxifen as a mono therapy I was getting some really bad hip pain when my E2 was 22. Bones cracking etc. I am trying Tamox EOD now.

I clicked on your name and three threads are there. This site does not differentiate between ones posts and ones threads which is a problem for me when I want to see what else has been going on for someone.

You are going to have to experiment to try to find a balance for E2. There are some rare individuals who just seem to need more E2 than others and this is really not understood in any fashion.

KSman,

What do you think of Nelson’s Vergel’s claim that the “E2 at 21” is not the best indicator of E2 health in men?

He suggests that the TT/E2 ratio should be over 10x so that a man at 800TT would be fine at, say, 58E2 so long as the man’s TT doesn’t ever dip below 580TT.

I may misunderstand Vergel on this, but I think that is his theory. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

In the context of TRT goals, everyone should have TT=900-1100 or more, so …

KSman,

I don’t know what should go after “so…”

I am curious as to what you mean.

Thanks.

When we are talking about a known range of TT, we can talk about ranges of FT and not worry about someone’s concept about what %free or ratios mean.

When discussing FT, we must have the ranges as some lab companies have ranges that are 5 times higher than others. And in that case FT:TT ratios are sort of meaningless too.

whats funny is my endo said total T is useless number, as long as your FT is in range thats what matters

hence my problem finding a competent physician