AGVT: Frequency, etc

Hi

I’m about to start a few months of a routine based on AGVT and need a little advice from you “older” guys.

Background: Natural, 48, lifted for a lot of years, still love to train. I’m going to use Poliquins AGVT as a basis for my routine. Over the next three months I’m looking to lose 5Kg fat, and maintain as much muscle as possible.

Advice sought:

Frequency: Poliquin recomends the following’
Day 1 Chest Back
Day 2 Off
Day 3 Arms
Day 4 Legs
Day 5 Off

What do you guys reckon for the older man: I was thinking of splitting the body over 6 days, (2on,1off,2on,1off,) or even 7 days.

Shoulder Work: Poliquin sems to omit shoulder work from this routine believing that it isn’t necessary: Personally I’d rather miss arms out instead and slot the shoulders in, or time/split permitting do both arm and shoulder work. Any veiws.

Rest Intervals: Poliquin calls for alternating antagonistic exercises. Unfortunately the gym where I train is pretty busy and its going to be bad enough hogging equipment to do 10 sets without hogging two bits of equipment for 20 sets between them. I’ll have to do straight sets.

However should I do all work for a given bodypart(10 sets, followed by 3-5 sets supplementarty work), then move on to the next bodypart, or should I do say 10 sets chest, 10 sets back, then 3-5 sets supplementary chest, 3-5 sets supplementary back.

Also I would intend to rest only 1 minute between sets (which would seem to fit in better with my goals and also the time spent hogging each piece of equipment). Any views?

Cardio: No mention in the articles. My guess in veiw of my goals I should slot some low intensity (Incline walks?) in on the off days. Would this be too much?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice particularly those who have tried similar programs.

Gazz

I wouldn’t go to less rest. I make much better gains working three days a week rather than four.

It’s your routine; do it the way you like. My personal view is that Poliquin’s routine isn’t about body sculpting, so I’d do it the way he suggests at least one time through and modify it the next time if I really think I need to.

[quote]
However should I do all work for a given bodypart(10 sets, followed by 3-5 sets supplementarty work), then move on to the next bodypart, or should I do say 10 sets chest, 10 sets back, then 3-5 sets supplementary chest, 3-5 sets supplementary back.[/quote]

The second way is closer to what he suggests. The closer the better, eh?

It seems to me that you’re using a mass building routine in a cutting cycle. I think it’s worth a try, but I’d go with a Waterbury total body approach for fat loss. Light cardio on off days is a pretty standard approach, so I’d leave it in.

Nutrition is going to be the biggest factor, especially pre- and post-workout. Search out John Berardi’s “Get Shredded” diet for some good info on nutrient timing for cutting cycles.

[quote]Gazz wrote:
Hi

I’m about to start a few months of a routine based on AGVT and need a little advice from you “older” guys.

Background: Natural, 48, lifted for a lot of years, still love to train. I’m going to use Poliquins AGVT as a basis for my routine. Over the next three months I’m looking to lose 5Kg fat, and maintain as much muscle as possible.

Advice sought:

Frequency: Poliquin recomends the following’
Day 1 Chest Back
Day 2 Off
Day 3 Arms
Day 4 Legs
Day 5 Off

What do you guys reckon for the older man: I was thinking of splitting the body over 6 days, (2on,1off,2on,1off,) or even 7 days.

Shoulder Work: Poliquin sems to omit shoulder work from this routine believing that it isn’t necessary: Personally I’d rather miss arms out instead and slot the shoulders in, or time/split permitting do both arm and shoulder work. Any veiws.

Rest Intervals: Poliquin calls for alternating antagonistic exercises. Unfortunately the gym where I train is pretty busy and its going to be bad enough hogging equipment to do 10 sets without hogging two bits of equipment for 20 sets between them. I’ll have to do straight sets.

However should I do all work for a given bodypart(10 sets, followed by 3-5 sets supplementarty work), then move on to the next bodypart, or should I do say 10 sets chest, 10 sets back, then 3-5 sets supplementary chest, 3-5 sets supplementary back.

Also I would intend to rest only 1 minute between sets (which would seem to fit in better with my goals and also the time spent hogging each piece of equipment). Any views?

Cardio: No mention in the articles. My guess in veiw of my goals I should slot some low intensity (Incline walks?) in on the off days. Would this be too much?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice particularly those who have tried similar programs.

Gazz

[/quote]

Gazz, you and I are the same age and I am quite familiar with Poliquin and the AGVT. Just a couple of things, if your training is balanced and includes upper body pushing and pulling the arm training just is’nt that important.

The close grip lat pulldown and/or chin might be the best biceps builder I can think of. I have’nt done any direct arm training in years and my arm measurements have not suffered at all.

In fact, there is some convincing research to the effect that if your pushing and pulling the extra “isolated” arm work won’t benefit your arm circumference (I believe I came upon this information in Lou Schueler and Alwyn Cosgrove’s book). I would certainly include some form of standing overhead press in your program. A phenomenol exercise for the entire body most significantly the trunk. Make sure to keep your abs and glutes tight.

Would it really be that difficult to pair antagonistic muscle groups at your gym? If so, I think it is very important to still pair exercises both metabolically and from a time efficiency standpoint. If in doubt, err on the side of less frequency versus more. Especially at our age.

If your going to add any energy system work (cardio) I highly recommend you do some sort of interval training at the conclusion of your weight training. 12-15 minutes should be adequate and will not interfere with any desire to add size (three days/week should be plenty). Give it a go and keep us posted.