Aggressive Spotter Detrimental to My Bench?

Hey guys, my first post here, and it has to do with the BP.

I am 17, and lift with my dad, but he tends to be a somewhat aggressive spotter. What he does is, as soon as my bar speed starts to slow down on higher work sets, he starts applying pressure to the bar making me maintain the same speed.

Now my question is, is this detrimental to my over-all strength and progression? By the end of my workout on BP, his pressure can be quite substantial.

Any and all insight is appreciated, let me know if are interested in my height, weight, etc.

Tell him to only grab the bar if the bar is going back down. Yes this is detrimental to your ability to build strength if you have someone constantly helping you, constantly stabilizing the bar (or destabilizing it).

[quote]dubez wrote:
Hey guys, my first post here, and it has to do with the BP.

I am 17, and lift with my dad, but he tends to be a somewhat aggressive spotter. What he does is, as soon as my bar speed starts to slow down on higher work sets, he starts applying pressure to the bar making me maintain the same speed.

Now my question is, is this detrimental to my over-all strength and progression? By the end of my workout on BP, his pressure can be quite substantial.

Any and all insight is appreciated, let me know if are interested in my height, weight, etc.[/quote]

Wait… is he helping you or pushing down on the bar, making it harder. You said putting pressure on the bar so I am confused?

Regardless of that a spotter should be there to bail your butt out of a jam OR help only if YOU want him to in doing forced reps. Forced reps are good every now and then but if the ol man is doing that every time he is doing you a disservice.
I’df say that if you wanted to over load the top end of your bench maybe consider getting a set of chains or even some of those cool “chain killers” over at efs. They at $40 and addd 25# to your bench. That would be perfect for you.

As far as the “aggressive dad” thing goes he’s prolly just stoked as shit in getting to train with his son. I know I get jazzed as shit when I lift with my boy but he’s 8 so I know he’s just messing around. I really look forward to when he’s older and wants to lift me me. but anyways, back to you… ha

I’m sure your Dad means well but odds are your dad may be as knowledgeable as some douche gym rat down at Planet Fitness or he may be Ed Coan himself…we don’t know. Knowing only what you have described, I’d lean heavily towards the first option. I would suggest the both of you watch the Elitefts channel on you tube. There are TONS of videos of how to lift the proper way. You can also watch how those guys spot each other. This way BOTH of you learn to lift correctly at the same time. Good luck to both you and your ol man.

Thanks guys, I figured as much. And sorry about the awkward phraseology with pressure, I meant he assists it upwards. Good recommendation on elite fitness, I’ve been watching a lot of their stuff, now I’ll have to show it to the old man and ask him to cool it with the spotting.

The OMS

Gotta be real careful with your spotters.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
The OMS

Gotta be real careful with your spotters.[/quote]

It was nice of you to spot that guy on his upright rows.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
The OMS

Gotta be real careful with your spotters.[/quote]

It was nice of you to spot that guy on his upright rows.[/quote]

The Old Man Spotter always needs help with his lifts.

It’s all you EXPLODE

What was the point of hanging the plates? It seems like a case of double stupid going on there.

[quote]Big Bencher wrote:
What was the point of hanging the plates? It seems like a case of double stupid going on there.[/quote]
It upgrades the lift

What was the point of hanging the plates? It seems like a case of double stupid going on there.[/quote]

Really?

Ok.

I dont have access to chains, hanging the weight acts sort of like chains, but without deload at the bottom. The swinging weight makes the stabilizing muscles work much, much harder, and it makes the overall lift harder.

You are literally one of the first people I have had to explain that to.

Why don’t you just explain to him what you expect him to do? Or, just rack the bar when you know your rep quality has decreased. Honestly I never go to the point where I need a spotter. But for safety reasons, I’ll grab one if I’m going a bit heavier than usual. I usually say something like “I’m doing 2 reps and really don’t NEED a spot but better safe than sorry”. Never had problems.

I usually tell people whether or not I’m going to get the rep or how many reps I’m going for. then say, “Just give me a lift off, and then grab it if the bar starts to fall back down.” That usually works. Never had anyone spot me “wrong” after telling them what I want them to do.

Dixie, I like the idea. I don’t have access to chains either. I think I will give your method a try.

Dixie, I have seen the setup before. I was referring to the spotter holding the bar for the whole set plus having crap hanging from the bar. It gave me the impression that the weight was a near max, and there was quite a lot of assistance going on. If so then the only person getting their stabilizers worked was the spotter.

Dixie, I have seen the setup before. I was referring to the spotter holding the bar for the whole set plus having crap hanging from the bar. It gave me the impression that the weight was a near max, and there was quite a lot of assistance going on. If so then the only person getting their stabilizers worked was the spotter. [/quote]

Being completely serious, he was not holding the bar, he has his hands around it but he doesnt grab it. I put the vid more as a joke than anything else. In my log I have a full explanation of him, the Old Man Spotter. He is my last resort when it comes to spotters.