T Nation

Age/Size/Gender Taking Fish Oil?

I bought a bottle of fish oil capsules. Both my Mom and I are going to using the same bottle. According to Berardi , its recommended that someone should take 6-10 capsules per day.

So my question is , should both my mom and I be taking the same amount of capsules per day , or should we be taking different amount due to our difference in age/size/gender?

The nutrition facts for our bottle state…

Per capsule
180mg(EPA)
120mg(DHA)

Thank you

[quote]handthatfeeds wrote:
I bought a bottle of fish oil capsules. Both my Mom and I are going to using the same bottle. According to Berardi , its recommended that someone should take 6-10 capsules per day.

So my question is , should both my mom and I be taking the same amount of capsules per day , or should we be taking different amount due to our difference in age/size/gender?

The nutrition facts for our bottle state…

Per capsule
180mg(EPA)
120mg(DHA)

Thank you[/quote]

From my understanding fish oil benefits any age young or old. Some fish oil products require one to take ridiculous amounts through the day. That’s why I like Flameout four capsules per day gives a man the optimum ratio he needs and women can get by with less.

D

I have a bottle of fish oil, with the same EPA and DHA as you. It supposedly still has 1000mg of total fish oil in it.
I take 9 a day, and I don’t feel the effects. Also, I just looked at it’s ingredients and they are “Fish, Soy”, though it’s 99.99% fish oil, should I keep taking it, even though it has Soy in it?

There are no set guidelines for fish oil intake. For most people 3-4 of those generic 1000mg pills a day is sufficient for the benefits it provides. You can always take more, and more is recommended in general for optimal results. As D said, there are no specific age guidelines or restrictions, at least none that are published. It would be like worrying if a two year old took fish oil, but feeding him fish sticks for lunch.

Also- to the last dude- what “effects” are you looking for? And the “soy” ingredient is just part of the capsule coating and not the type of soy you need to be concerned about.