Age 32, Low T/DHT, Midrange LH/FSH?

I’ve continued 150mg/week of test cyp and 1mg/wk of anastrozole, dosed 50mg test and 0.33mg anastrozole on MWF. My symptoms have remained pretty much constant. Haven’t had night sweats lately and sore joints are no longer a problem, but still low energy, poor workout recovery, low libido, and ED.

Decided to get another blood test with prolactin level, in case high prolactin was responsible for my symptoms. Here’s the results from 3/5/2013, half way between injections on 3/4 and 3/6:

TT: 966 ng/dL (348-1197)
FT: 23.6 pg/mL (8.7-25.1)
E2: 21.0 pg/mL (7.6-42.6)
DHEA-Sulfate: 311.1 ug/dL (160-449)
Prostate specific ag serum: 2.0 ng/mL (0-4)
Prolactin: 9.1 ng/mL (4.0-15.2)

So, still high total and free testosterone, perfect E2, and now perfectly normal prolactin. And still low energy and low libido. Wondering if the problem is stress related, thinking of quitting my job and trying to concentrate on getting in good shape and enjoying life.

Is there any other blood test I ought to do, or any treatment I ought to try? Should I look into more thyroid or cortisol tests? The initial tests seemed to show normal results, so I haven’t looked farther down those avenues. I’m considering lowering anastrozole to 0.75mg/week, and/or raising test to 200mg/week. I don’t think either change will matter, but I want to try something. I don’t understand how I can have increased my testosterone 3x via TRT, and have perfect E2 and prolactin, and still have shitty libido, low energy, and ED.

Thanks.

Symptoms seemed to gradually get better, but not disappear. Libido is about normal, ED is infrequent, but I’m pretty much unable to climax during intercourse (which sucks, but is much better than ED). Had a VO2 max and lactate test done, VO2max was ~49mL/kg/min, just above average, which was very surprising because of my poor athletic performance. 49mL/kg/min also corresponds to over 5 L/min.

I’m about 235lbs, if I weighed 150 and pumped the same amount of air, I’d be Tour de France material ;). The lactate threshold test however was abnormally low… started out at 1.8, only made it to 3.0, and then after the VO2 max test blood lactate only got as high as 4.8. The person who administered the test suggested I see a coworker who is an MD that specializes in sports medicine, and when I saw that doc, he advised ferritin and thyroid antibody tests, as well as IGF1 and IGF-BP3. Test results:

Hematocrit: 46.4 (37.5-51)
Cholesterol, Total: 174 mg/dL (100-199)
Triglycerides: 51 mg/dL (0-149)
HDL Cholesterol: 54 mg/dL (>39)
LDL Cholesterol Calc: 110 mg/dL (0-99)
T. Chol/HDL Ratio: 3.2 ratio units (0.0-5.0)
Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1: 494 ng/Ml 71-241
Interleukin-6, Serum: 1.7 pg/mL 0-15.5
Thyroglobulin, Antibody: <1.0 IU/mL 0.0-0.9
IGF-BP3: 5.8 mg/L 3.5-7.0
Ferritin, Serum: 78 ng/mL 30-400
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab: 7 IU/mL 0-34

So, TRT hasn’t hurt my cholesterol any, and my hematocrit is better than before TRT. Thyroid tests again look normal, but I’m still often cold in the morning. IGF1 is high out of range, but from what I’ve read, IGF1 ranges depend strongly on age, and my value of ~500 is normal for an 18 year old. I definitely appear to have visual symptoms of acromegaly (2XL hands, big feet, coarse features, slight brow ridge), but I don’t know if my value of IGF1 could explain poor athletic performance. From what I’ve read on acromegaly and heart enlargement, it leads to a sub-normal VO2 max (like 20mL/kg/min!), and mine’s a bit above average. I went for a 5.5 mile jog with a friend last week and was able to keep up a conversation at about a 11 minute/mile pace. That’s not a great performance, but it’s worlds better than I seem to do in bursty repeated activities like rugby (lots of sprints, tackling, sharp cuts, repeatedly for 80 minutes).

I’d like to know if my shortcomings in activities like rugby are related to my abnormal blood lactate response to exercise, but I haven’t found any information online that seemed useful, except some mention of people having blunted lactate response when ill or overtrained. I feel overtrained, but I’ve not been working out much, and resting for weeks doesn’t help the situation.

TRT has seemed to improve muscle strength significantly, even with sporadic training. I can squat 315 for 5 reps, and I haven’t been hitting the gym regularly. Before TRT, even sticking with Starting Strength religiously for months, and eating well, sleeping well, I could only get my 5RM up to 275lbs, and couldn’t maintain it there consistently. I’ve also lost body fat and put on muscle mass, again without regular strength training or following a diet religiously.

MRI for the high IGF-1 might be warranted.

Your hematocrit seems lowish for high T levels. One then considers a GI bleed as a possible reason and has an occult blood test.

Have you read the thyroid basics sticky?

[quote]KSman wrote:
Your hematocrit seems lowish for high T levels. One then considers a GI bleed as a possible reason and has an occult blood test.
[/quote]
Thanks, I will read up on that.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Have you read the thyroid basics sticky?[/quote]
Yes. I took supplemental iodine for a while, haven’t lately. Morning coldness seems better than it was a year ago, I ought to measure temperature with a thermometer again. I’ve got 3 digital thermometers, none give consistent readings. Seems like I can measure a few times in a row and get different results by a degree or more.

[quote]KSman wrote:
MRI for the high IGF-1 might be warranted.
[/quote]
I saw the doc today to talk about the last round of tests, he gave me a heart ultrasound, which checked out okay (no obvious enlarged heart or thickening of the walls). I’ve got the brain MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

MRI results came back, I have an 8mm pituitary adenoma.

Any change that my low-T was a result of the pituitary adenoma, and that if I get it addressed (surgically or drugs), I won’t need TRT anymore?

Thanks.

Best of luck.

Just had my pituitary tumor removed yesterday, and I’m already out of the hospital today. The endocrinologist hasn’t given odds on if I’ll be able to go off TRT (but he also doesn’t see value in HCG, so perhaps he’s a dumbass). I’m not allowed to lift anything over 10lbs for 6-8 weeks, so I’m planning to stay on my top-of-range TRT dose until I’m cleared to lift again, then will try a restart, probably with clomid. Also might look for some self-prescribed HCG to add in the meantime, to hopefully make the restart work better.