Age 15 and Younger Weightlifting

Today i was talking about football and weightlifting with this guy that sits next to me in Class and when he asked me how old i was and i replied “15” he said “WHAT?! you shouldn’t be lifting until you’re at least 16!”

Now i distinctly remember reading on these forums a similar debate in which it was concluced that weightlifting was fine for younger children and would in fact increase bone density or something which would benefit the youngsters.

So I told him that i would bring in sources from Medical Journals and the likes to prove to him, and he said he would do the same. I am hoping the guys with the PHD’s can hook me up here with some sources and give me a good explanation i can give him on Wednesday when we have class again. (By the way, this guy is about 25 and plays college football).

So… sources/explanations greatly appreciated!

-M

the best advice and if it is the only thing you can take from this post is, don’t try and argue with regular fitness people. seriously no aof studies or anecdotal evidence will convince them, and what the fuck purpose does it serve formount you. do you know how many times i go through answering (what seems to me to be)stupid questions? people will never understand this “hobby” we all have.

and on that note, i have been lifting in a >80% range since i was 13. i was 5’8 then, i am now 6’2. note, my bro is 6’4 and he has never lifted. all of my brothers and sisters have broken a bone… i never have. take that all for what it is worth.

Tell his dumbass to go to Ironmind.com and purchase part two of the 1995 World Weightlifting Championships Training Hall tape. At the end he’ll see kids at least as young as twelve lifting weights he never would have dreamed of. Although due to cognitive dissonance he probably won’t believe it and say it’s fake. What a joke, wait until your sixteen, feh.

tell that to ANY kid who has ever grown up on a farm

Well, I have always been told not to lift until about age fourteen. Everyone who has ever told me that has always said yes, it will give you greater bone density, but because your bones are concentrating more on becoming more dense, that they are ‘stunted’ in size. Do I think it’s correct? No. By the way, I turned fifteen a few months ago… I am 6’1", and have been lifting for about two and a half years, and lifting SERIOUSLY for a year.

-CJ

I wonder at what age this guy started lifting. I know my former teammates and I began in the winter before our freshmen year, when we were 14-15. This was also encouraged by coaches, so I wonder if his coaches told him not to lift, even though he was playing ball (I don’t know if he really was, but i’m assuming since he’s playing college ball he started at a young age). Also, why wouldn’t you want to lift at a time in your life when your testosterone levels are kicking up naturally? Just my 2 cents.

Why age 16? Is there some magical physiological change that occurs to the body at age 16 to make weightlifting possible? Why not age 18? or 21? or 14? To just come with age 16 is kind of arbitrary. If he had said “wait until after puberty” or “wait until you start puberty” or “wait until you get a drivers license” that would have been more logical. A specific age is your first clue to doubt. And what kind of class are you in that has a college football player in it when you’re only 15?

Back to topic here. Have you asked your doctor what he thinks?

It’s College Algebra, and in fact almost everyone in the class is 20+. Theres even a 60 year old in there. Anyways, no i have not asked my doctor: i am 99.9% sure that weightlifting is NOT unhealthy for me. maybe. MAYBE MAYBE, i shouldn’t be doing heavy squats. Other than that, this guy has nothing on me. I’ve already compiled a list of sources saying so and the list is growing.

[quote]sinnaman18 wrote:
I am hoping the guys with the PHD’s can hook me up here with some sources and give me a good explanation i can give him on Wednesday when we have class again. [/quote]

Well, no PhD here, but a google search of “American Academy of Pediatrics + exercise” landed this: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/6/1470

The long and short of it: “Strength training programs for preadolescents and adolescents can be safe and effective if proper resistance training techniques and safety precautions are followed.”

So, go lift, but be smart about it, oh Doogie Howser of the iron kingdom. (Gee, I bet you’ve never heard that one before) :wink:

Thanks. That’s source #56. I think i got it now.

1. Doogie Howser
    Coined from the 80’s TV Show of the same name, a “Doogie Howser” is some kid with a genius level IQ. They generally excel in all academics, and are smarter than their peers.

Phil: Hey Steve, it’s Friday night! You wanna party?
Steve: No, I need to stay in and peruse my studies. I have that Calculus exam in a week, and I need to prepare myself.
Phil: Okay Doogie Howser…have fun nerding it up!

Joe DeFranco answers a question about weight training for younger kids in one of his Q&A sections on his site. Look it up!