Afterworkout Beer

Wasn’t gonna say shit on this post until that last lil remark on the 24 year olds. Good job bro, lets me know the future is bright.

Hey Clark,

You are right. After my next workout I’m going to do a blast of coke, a 40oz and maybe smoke some weed. Stupid High Horse, keeping me from all that fun.

And another thing…no one said you couldn’t have a cocktail after work. But seriously, do you think that drinking beer after a workout is good for you? Use your friggin head. Do you not read this website?

[quote]CoachMorris wrote:
Hey Clark,

You are right. After my next workout I’m going to do a blast of coke, a 40oz and maybe smoke some weed. Stupid High Horse, keeping me from all that fun.[/quote]

This protocal wouldn’t definately call for having to go to some meetings.

hehe, after reading the post quoting Berardi, i thought back to the time i saw a guy with liver cirrhosis (alcohol induced)…

he’s right, of course, alcohol dies reduce t-levels, as evident by the gynaecomastia and loss of hair in a cirrhotic patient… just to illustrate… damn, if i could find a picture

[quote]Adam176 wrote:
What’s best to drink to limit the damage to the diet/ T levels? Spirits don’t contain the carbs that wine does but I always found that I had to drink a larger quantity of alcohol to get the same effect from spirits as from wine.

I hardly drink at all now but i’ve organized a birthday party/5th date for my girl tomorrow and am looking forward to just a couple of drinks to celebrate![/quote]

Honestly, as long as you keep things in moderation, it doesn’t matter that much. Best thing to do is like someone above said, and consider this a rare ‘cheat drink’, equivalent to a cheat meal.

In other words, if you’re going to have a drink, have a drink, and drink what you enjoy. The effects of the alcohol will so overshadow the few grams of carbs that might be present in your drink that it usually just doesn’t matter.

For the record though, I seem to recall wine only having around 3 grams of carbs per 5oz glass. Drinking a mixed drink actually makes it a lot easier to get yourself in trouble, because when you add coke/juice/etc, you’re adding a lot more sugar.

As for beer, I’ll just throw out a reminder that all light beer is basically “low carb” beer, but as I said above, the alcohol’s effects are much much more pronounced than anything the few carbs will add, so it’s not that big of a deal.

Just remember to drink in moderation. The less alcohol, the less effect. . . and the less calories! (Alcohol is not exactly a “low calorie” item.)

[quote]CoachMorris wrote:
Hey Clark,

You are right. After my next workout I’m going to do a blast of coke, a 40oz and maybe smoke some weed. Stupid High Horse, keeping me from all that fun.[/quote]

You are an illogical mf, with your slippery slope logic. I thought this was an intelligent T-forum. All I wanted to know was why and how beer was bad and one of the posts explained that it was the alcohol and not the carbs that was the most physique damaging characteristic of beer.

It is you who should go to a meeting. Dumbshits Anonymous

Y

So far, we’ve been arguing about the severity of post-workout effects of alcohol on normal males. Let’s shift focus for a moment and consider the abnormal male. A male like myself – aged 22, born with hypogonadism, and on permanent TRT.

The dominant argument presented by posters in this thread contests that alcohol lowers natural androgen production. What if this weren’t an issue? For example, as a TRT patient, my testosterone level is consistently whatever I’d like it to be. (I keep it within the “high normal” range.)

Combine this with the infamous activated carbon based “hangover stopper” pills that often come with instructions to consume two tablets every two hours of drinking or every three “drinks.” For brevity, let’s assume that they do work as intended; they absorb a significant portion of the “cogeners” and toxins from the pre-absorbed alcohol in the stomach. Thus, less toxins enter the bloodstream.

According the information in this tread, the worst post-workout effect I should expect to experience would be a hampered metabolism.

Therefore, what would the problem be with drinking on a Saturday, when Sunday is a non-workout “rest” day?

Clark,

Listen man if you want to have a beer then have it.
Will it affect protein synthesis and t-levels negatively? Yes it will. I have a few times drank a beer instead of a normal post workout shake because its what I wanted to do. Is doing that occasionally going to hurt you or set you back? If you train hard enough and effectively enough everytime you go to the gym then you deserve it if you want it. Should you do it everytime? Probably not advisable. I train hard when I go to the gym and Dammit I will have a beer or many when I want to. You do what you want to do.

Clark,

Doing your mentioned post-workout meal and a few drinks is not a big ordeal if done on the random occassion. Really it depends on what your goals are. If you were to have a chicken and a few beers meal after every workout you would not make very much progress because of poor protein synthesis and t-level suppression. I for one have found myself crunched for time and had to hit the gym before a date or social event were I knew I was going to have a few drinks.
The most important consideration in consuming any form of alcohol is doing so in moderation. I have a lot of friends that workout on Friday and then head out on the town for some late night binge drinking. What most people don’t realize is that when you get drunk your brain can’t function. When this happens your muscles do not rest. Thats why you can sleep twelve hours the next day and feel sore as hell. All the hard work you put in at the gym the day before reaps minimal results at best because your muscles never had the chance to recop.
Hope this helps,
GS

Thanks.

Points well taken.

I don’t know if this is beating a dead horse, but I didn’t see it in the tread so I thought I’d pass it along. Alcohol is generally considered to contain 7 calories per gram. Whereas, as most of you know, protein and carbs contain 4 calories per gram. Also, fats contain 9 calories per gram. This is all on averages of course, but it’s something to consider when breaking down the cost/benefit ratio of having a drink. Of course, after a few you don’t really care anyway.

A shot of alcohol will give you the most alcohol for your calories if you are really that worried about it.

~beer drinker

what is DFQ??