After Workout Meal (After Surge Recovery)

I was questioning the other night if it is essential to eat a P+C meal after taking Surge Recovery. I ask that because there are times that my workout is later in the evening. And once my workout is done and I’ve taken my post workout surge drink it can be as late as 10pm. And with me trying to CUT, I can only see eating that late as being a bad thing.

Any advice?

No it should be fine if you’re doing late sessions. Adjust the rest of the day accordingly for fatloss

Much better plan to move your Surge Recovery to pre workout or during the workout or both. MUCH BETTER. Theres a lot of info on this. Articles and forum posts. I dont know where but maybe someone will help you out finding them

I was just reading some study over the weekend that summed up saying that

-Carbs ingested before training (up to 2 hours before) will improve fat burning AND
-Protein meals (no carbs) ingested after training will improve fat burning.

SO there you go, in a nutshell :slight_smile:
(but most of us already knew that anyway -lol)

S

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I
-Carbs ingested before training (up to 2 hours before) will improve fat burning AND

S[/quote]

Can you link that article Stu? Because this is exactly, completely backwards from every study on fat burning I have ever read, as well as my own experience. Ingest carbs before training- fat burning in that session stops dead cold. At least for me.[/quote]

I think it has more to do with how you interpret the results, than the data changing.

You burn more fat during a workout if you are carb depleted.

You have a more productive workout with carbs included, it’s also easier for your body to create muscle, and overall increase you metabolism.

It’s the same with cardio right? There’s that “fat burning zone”, where your body will burn a higher % of fat vs. carbs for energy at that lower energy level.

But overall, you’ll burn more fat throughout the day, boost your metabolism, and condition yourself far better, doing a shorter, more intense cardio session well outside the “fat burning zone”.

If you are eating relatively low-carb (which I think most here are compared to the mainstream population), your glycogen stores won’t be full. You eat carbs pre-workout, but it doesn’t go to fat, it goes to replenishing glycogen. You then burn through (a portion) of your stores, and have a more effective session.

Yeah, you don’t get fat burning during your session, but being more productive in your session, combined with the greater metabolic boost that comes with it, should net more fat loss for an entire 24 hour period.

That’s what I got out of it as well, that the more productive workout would most likely result in better bodycomp over the duration. O f course there’s so many damn studies out there, that I usually just go on what my training journals tell me has worked for me in the past.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I was just reading some study over the weekend that summed up saying that

-Protein meals (no carbs) ingested after training will improve fat burning.

SO there you go, in a nutshell :slight_smile:
(but most of us already knew that anyway -lol)

S[/quote]

So the whole time before I,Bodubuilder and Anaconda, this site (and many others) were pushing the whole post workout stuff(aka Surge Recovery)…that was a falsehood? It was actually detrimental? This is why I’m very suspicious of the whole new peri-workout protocol and expensive new supplements. Not saying it doesn’t work, but it makes me very suspicious. I don’t know what to believe anymore. .

I’ve had pretty good fat loss results with one FINiBAR before each weight training session (2X daily), during a low cal and otherwise low carb diet.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

Sam, pick up a copy of the book “Nutrient Timing”. It will clear all this confusion up in an impartial manner. The short of it is ingestion of nutrients (P +C) during the workout has a SLIGHTLY greater effect on protein synthesis and glucose uptake than ingesting the same meal afterward. The conventional wisdom therefore is to start sipping on your post workout shake during your training. Surge works absolutely fine for this, you don’t need the new protocol or supplements to take full advantage of the data in the studies.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

Sam, pick up a copy of the book “Nutrient Timing”. It will clear all this confusion up in an impartial manner. The short of it is ingestion of nutrients (P +C) during the workout has a SLIGHTLY greater effect on protein synthesis and glucose uptake than ingesting the same meal afterward. The conventional wisdom therefore is to start sipping on your post workout shake during your training. Surge works absolutely fine for this, you don’t need the new protocol or supplements to take full advantage of the data in the studies.[/quote]

Hey Modok,

A couple different books came up on my search on Amazon. Do you have the authors name?