T Nation

After Wendler's BBB?

What type of assistance work are u guys running after BBB template, for example im gonna stay with 5/3/1 but give me examples of exercises on the consecutive days of military dead bench and squat days, THANKS

The triumvirate is good. Or just pick something and have a goal and a plan to get better. Examples: Certain number of dips or pull ups or something like that. like be able to do 10x10 dips is a good goal. You can never do too many pull ups. Pull ups are badass.

I personally recommend buying 531 for Power Lifting. Read and re read. Find your goals, plan it out, make em happen.

This is all in the book. Why don’t you just read it?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
This is all in the book. Why don’t you just read it?[/quote]

It still amazes me that people will dedicate months of lifting to 5/3/1 but won’t spend 20 bucks to understand it.

Military:
Pullups between sets, shoot for 100, 50, or 25 reps depending on your fitness level.
Dips 5x10
Heavy Side Bends 5x15

Deadlift:
Rackpulls 5x3/ Barbell Row 5x5/ Safety Bar Squats 5x3
Back Extensions 5x10
Hanging Leg Raise 5x15

Bench:
Db Row 5x10, or Kroc Rows
Close Grip Floor Press 5x5/ or Military BBB/ or DB Press, or Close Grip
Face pulls 5x15-20

Squat:
RDL 5x5/ Front Squat 5x3/ 3x5
Split Squats 5x6
Weighted Situps 5x15.

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to condition also.

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

It still amazes me that people will dedicate months of lifting to 5/3/1 but won’t spend 20 bucks to understand it.[/quote]

lol people are stupid/cheap/lazy. Wendler did a Q&A on his site a couple weeks ago from a guy who wanted to go into a new career as a high school S&C coach. The guy was asking questions expalined in the book, ackonwledged that he knew they were explained in the book but was asking because he “couldnt afford” it. So basically this guy didn’t see $20 as a good investment in his future career. Wendler had a lot of fun with that.

It amazes me too considering how easy it is to “test drive” 5/3/1 before you buy it.

But what really amazes me is how little people know their bodies. I mean, what to do after BBB? Who knowS? feeling like shit and overworked, then do “I ain’t doing Jack Shit”. Feeling like a tub of shit? Do “North of Vag”. Feeling unathletic? Do the “bodyweight” workout. I mean, really, it’s not rocket science. Feeling burnt out? Do a 2nd deload week! Have some self-dialogue and some balls.

/owns 5/3/1, Starting Strength, Huge in a Hurry and maybe 30 other books.

You really dont even have to buy the book (though it’s highly recommended). I literally just typed in 5/3/1 program online, read the programs listed, read everything Jim Wendler had to say about the program and how you can tweak it to your own goals (but really the program is so easy its hard to mess up)

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

It still amazes me that people will dedicate months of lifting to 5/3/1 but won’t spend 20 bucks to understand it.[/quote]

Y would Someone spend money on something they can get for free through searching the internet?
However I probably will buy the book in the future, I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for several months and hit 2 PRs this week based on everything I’ve learned just through T-Nation and google searches.

OP: 5/3/1 gives you freedom to pretty much do whatever the hell you want provided you focus on the four main lifts. Since you like BBB what I’ve been doing is on Squat day I follow squats with deadlifts in the 10-6 rep range. Press day do bench presses same way, lighter weight more reps. And likewise for the other main lifts. I found that my body needs more frequency to keep improving in the main lifts so this allows me to focus on each lift twice a week. I also like to do BO Rows on Bench days for the number of reps between both the bench and Press combined. ON press day I do pullups in the same way for total reps.
My point is to experiment and find what works best with your body. And to try different things.
Zerchers afront squats are fun on squat days.
Tire flips and snatching or powercleaning are fun for DL days.
And If I feel like shit I just Focus on the main lift and the secondary light weight lift and get the minimum reps for the third exercise in. Usually takes 30 minutes and I’m done or am feeling better from getting the core lifts outta the way and continue on with something else.

I don’t really think you need to pay any amount of money to work anyone’s program. It’s a brilliant program but when U get down to it, all it really is is suggestions for reps and weight that can be found from anyone else with some experience.

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

all it really is is suggestions for reps and weight [/quote]

It is much more then that. If people would actually buy the book so they could read and understand the methodology, the why behind the how, instead of just googling the percentages, they wouldn’t have to ask so many damn questions about one of the simpliest training methods ever.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

It is much more then that. If people would actually buy the book so they could read and understand the methodology, the why behind the how, instead of just googling the percentages, they wouldn’t have to ask so many damn questions about one of the simpliest training methods ever.[/quote]

Not doubting that it’s a great read.
But not understanding why and how something works doesn’t mean that thing is any less effective if used properly.
And it seems to me that If a thing really is very simple then it wouldn’t provoke so many questions, except from those inclined to ask questions in the first place. Which IMO asking questions is rarely ever a bad thing.

I personally don’t like paying for information in any situation. I feel that there is no reason y it can’t be shared freely especially now with the internet. Do I feel Wendler is undeserving of his $20 for working on and writing an excellent book? No, I have no problem with him trying to profit from his work and experience. But at the same time the information can greatly help many people achieve their goals so it’s probably not a terrible thing to share it freely and help others to understand and use it.

If you don’t want to answer questions and help people understand something you know about, then don’t. It’s your right to do so and no one can make you. But it’s also kind of selfish and you don’t have to belittle those that ask questions and/or may be unable to afford to spend money on something that could be obtained freely with a little extra effort.

From what I’ve seen on this site, most people who don’t have atleast one copy of his book have no idea what the programs about/ how to perform it. I understand not spending $80+ of every copy of 5/3/1 out there, but if you’re going to dedicate your training to it might as well get a copy to get the most out of it.

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

It is much more then that. If people would actually buy the book so they could read and understand the methodology, the why behind the how, instead of just googling the percentages, they wouldn’t have to ask so many damn questions about one of the simpliest training methods ever.[/quote]

But not understanding why and how something works doesn’t mean that thing is any less effective if used properly.
And it seems to me that If a thing really is very simple then it wouldn’t provoke so many questions, except from those inclined to ask questions in the first place. Which IMO asking questions is rarely ever a bad thing.

I personally don’t like paying for information in any situation. I feel that there is no reason y it can’t be shared freely especially now with the internet. Do I feel Wendler is undeserving of his $20 for working on and writing an excellent book? No, I have no problem with him trying to profit from his work and experience. But at the same time the information can greatly help many people achieve their goals so it’s probably not a terrible thing to share it freely and help others to understand and use it.

If you don’t want to answer questions and help people understand something you know about, then don’t. It’s your right to do so and no one can make you. But it’s also kind of selfish and you don’t have to belittle those that ask questions and/or may be unable to afford to spend money on something that could be obtained freely with a little extra effort.[/quote]

Oh man, I love people like you. According to this logic, you will never pay to a financial planner (to set up yoru retirment goals, children funds if you have any, etc…), a lawyer (if god forbid you ever need one), a car mechanic (if your car breaks down), cause, you know, they provide information and you…and I quote varbatim “don’t like paying for information in any situation”…very classy mister. I’ll just let you GOOGLE your way through life.

Enjoy mediocricy google champ

And the point is this, yes, you can find shit for free, but thats exactly what it is - shit. To get quality stuff you need to pay. And don’t talk to me about “can’t afford” - psht - $20. If you can’t afford to spend $20 you got bigger issues in your life than worrying about fuckin set and rep schemes.

Give me a break. How old are you? The only people with such mentality are 18-20 year old sophomore kids.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

If you don’t want to answer questions and help people understand something you know about, then don’t. It’s your right to do so and no one can make you. But it’s also kind of selfish and you don’t have to belittle those that ask questions and/or may be unable to afford to spend money on something that could be obtained freely with a little extra effort.[/quote]

Oh man, I love people like you. According to this logic, you will never pay to a financial planner (to set up yoru retirment goals, children funds if you have any, etc…), a lawyer (if god forbid you ever need one), a car mechanic (if your car breaks down), cause, you know, they provide information and you…and I quote varbatim “don’t like paying for information in any situation”…very classy mister. I’ll just let you GOOGLE your way through life.

And the point is this, yes, you can find shit for free, but thats exactly what it is - shit. To get quality stuff you need to pay. And don’t talk to me about “can’t afford” - psht - $20. If you can’t afford to spend $20 you got bigger issues in your life than worrying about fuckin set and rep schemes.

Give me a break. How old are you? The only people with such mentality are 18-20 year old sophomore kids. [/quote]

Ya, but at least I don’t have to put down 20 year old kids because I believe my ideas are superior to theirs.

I do agree that you get what you pay for but I also stand by my words. I don’t like to pay for information in any situation. This doesn’t mean that I won’t or haven’t or whatever. It just means that I’d rather figure things out for myself instead of throwing money at people to do things for me. Financial planners, lawyers, mechanics, etc. are great resources and If you know how to talk to people and make friends you can often get free advice. I’m the type of person who would rather talk to a mechanic and get advice on how to fix my car on my own instead of paying someone to do it for me while I remain ignorant.

And ya $20 is a lot for a book when you’re in school and already paying out the ass for books. And the irony of paying tuition does not escape me either. I realize that I am basically paying for information. But only because you have to to get a degree. But there is nothing taught in school that could not be learned for free using libraries and the internet and you are even forced to learn to use the resources at your disposal for every paper and project.

I’m not above asking questions or for help from people who know more about something and I do it quite often so that I keep learning. I am, however, smart enough not to spend more than I have to on things I could do or learn myself. A little off subject but maybe America would be doing better if more people still had a DIY mentality instead of simply paying others to do things for them. We are now a service economy and are getting ourselves into quite a bit of trouble by outsourcing all of out jobs to people who incidentally have all the same information/skills necessary to do the work but at a fraction of the cost.

and btw, I said outright in the beginning that I’d probably buy the book. I’ve already had great success with the program and would like to learn more about it. What’s with the harsh reaction? Did I offend you or something? I didn’t meant.

These same fuckers that won’t shell out a one time fee of $20 for the best training plan money can buy are usually the same douchebags in the bar taking jager bombs with their bros, buying stupid ass hair gel so they can spike up their gay ass haircut, and spending $$$ on shitty workout supplements cause their brah told them it would give them a wickedz pump…

I agree with everything tonypluto is saying. If the o.p. is still reading this, just ignore the regular jerks. The rest of us will be glad to help you.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
These same fuckers that won’t shell out a one time fee of $20 for the best training plan money can buy are usually the same douchebags in the bar taking jager bombs with their bros, buying stupid ass hair gel so they can spike up their gay ass haircut, and spending $$$ on shitty workout supplements cause their brah told them it would give them a wickedz pump…[/quote]
Epic mental picture.

PS buy the book you scabs.

But more to the point - OP - a quick google of 5/3/1 Triumvirate will show you the routine in an article on this website…

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Give me a break. How old are you? The only people with such mentality are 18-20 year old sophomore kids. [/quote]

Ya, but at least I don’t have to put down 20 year old kids because I believe my ideas are superior to theirs.

I do agree that you get what you pay for but I also stand by my words. I don’t like to pay for information in any situation. This doesn’t mean that I won’t or haven’t or whatever. It just means that I’d rather figure things out for myself instead of throwing money at people to do things for me. Financial planners, lawyers, mechanics, etc. are great resources and If you know how to talk to people and make friends you can often get free advice. I’m the type of person who would rather talk to a mechanic and get advice on how to fix my car on my own instead of paying someone to do it for me while I remain ignorant.

And ya $20 is a lot for a book when you’re in school and already paying out the ass for books. And the irony of paying tuition does not escape me either. I realize that I am basically paying for information. But only because you have to to get a degree. But there is nothing taught in school that could not be learned for free using libraries and the internet and you are even forced to learn to use the resources at your disposal for every paper and project.

I’m not above asking questions or for help from people who know more about something and I do it quite often so that I keep learning. I am, however, smart enough not to spend more than I have to on things I could do or learn myself. A little off subject but maybe America would be doing better if more people still had a DIY mentality instead of simply paying others to do things for them. We are now a service economy and are getting ourselves into quite a bit of trouble by outsourcing all of out jobs to people who incidentally have all the same information/skills necessary to do the work but at a fraction of the cost.

and btw, I said outright in the beginning that I’d probably buy the book. I’ve already had great success with the program and would like to learn more about it. What’s with the harsh reaction? Did I offend you or something? I didn’t meant.[/quote]

If you are on the internet, you can find a way to save 20 bucks. If you can’t, get a job.

It is very rare that someone is going to be able to understand the program just from the percentages. This program is very well thought out, and there is a ton of knowledge and reason behind it. People who do not buy the book will not understand this, and will therefore have to ask a thousand simple questions about it that are all written about clearly in the book.

It’s the extremely simple questions like the one in this thread that prove this. The guy basically asked what the other assistance templates are, when they are clearly explained in the book.

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[/quote]