T Nation

After Rippetoe's: 5x5? TBT? Split?

Okay guys I would like some advice on what my options are now that I am approaching the end of the rippetoe’s program.

So far I know there is rippetoe’s advanced program. It is basically the same thing except that weight is increased weekly and the three work outs are done with different RM%'s.

I have also read all of stronglifts.com and know about the 5x5 program from that website.

This website has a TBT article outlining a 7 week or so program that I could customize myself.

I am now 180 lbs, and was 155 lbs 8 months ago. Soon I will move on from rippetoe’s incredible program and would like some help choosing my next roller coaster ride.

[quote]thekrown wrote:
Okay guys I would like some advice on what my options are now that I am approaching the end of the rippetoe’s program.

So far I know there is rippetoe’s advanced program. It is basically the same thing except that weight is increased weekly and the three work outs are done with different RM%'s.

I have also read all of stronglifts.com and know about the 5x5 program from that website.

This website has a TBT article outlining a 7 week or so program that I could customize myself.

I am now 180 lbs, and was 155 lbs 8 months ago. Soon I will move on from rippetoe’s incredible program and would like some help choosing my next roller coaster ride.[/quote]

Those are some good gains, if the growth is still coming don’t look to change too quickly. I really like the look of the advanced 5x5 program on stronglifts. If you think you can classify yourself as “advanced” under the guidelines there then go for it. Not only will you pack some pounds on but I’d expect you to get a whole lot stronger as well.

As an aside the excel program templates they have on stronlifts.com are great.

I think you must be able to squat 1.5 BW in order to take it up a notch to 5x5 advanced. I cannot, yet.

You see my deadlift is amazing but my squat is very very very weak, I deloaded twice but the weight is horrible compared to my deadlift. This is why I think I need to move on.

Just so you know my deadlift is 265lbs and my squat is still less than 200 lbs.

I suppose I COULD move up to stronglifts 5x5 since it is identical to rippetoe except I will be doing 2 more work sets and then stick to it until I squat 1.5 my BW. What do you think?

No one is going to be able to help you without knowing exactly what your goals are.

#1. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If your still making gains with ripptoes; keep at it man!

#2. What are your goals? Sports, BB’ing, Powerlifting, or just to look sweet in your birthday suit?

That’ll help us help you!

[quote]mr popular wrote:
No one is going to be able to help you without knowing exactly what your goals are.[/quote]

Goal is to max on strength before beginning hypertrophy, which is why I chose rippetoe.

In terms of weight and stuff, I want to eventually be 180-190 lean. Now I am 180 lbs but with some fat here and there

[quote]B rocK wrote:
#1. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If your still making gains with ripptoes; keep at it man!

#2. What are your goals? Sports, BB’ing, Powerlifting, or just to look sweet in your birthday suit?

That’ll help us help you![/quote]

Goal is to look like a brick wall. You know, be thick and strong but not “bubbly” and big. If that makes any sense… I want to fill a suit properly really. I guess you could say I am wanting to make the leap from skinny teen body to man.

[quote]thekrown wrote:
mr popular wrote:
No one is going to be able to help you without knowing exactly what your goals are.

Goal is to max on strength before beginning hypertrophy, which is why I chose rippetoe.

In terms of weight and stuff, I want to eventually be 180-190 lean. Now I am 180 lbs but with some fat here and there[/quote]

Shoot for 200.
Have you looked into the texas method?


I switched over to this program after Rippetoe’s quit working for me. Its pretty good. Rippetoe says its the best move after SS in his book Practical Programming for Strength Training. Its working for me.

I originally wanted to shoot for 200lbs but then I read about the issues involved with bulking.

When someone bulks, they create much more fat cells and those never go away making it easier for someone to explode back to a high weight again. I would like to avoid that.

The texas method seems nearly identical to the rippetoe advanced program except for the friday. I’m not sure which is better =(

How long have you been on the texas method?

[quote]thekrown wrote:
I originally wanted to shoot for 200lbs but then I read about the issues involved with bulking.

When someone bulks, they create much more fat cells and those never go away making it easier for someone to explode back to a high weight again. I would like to avoid that.[/quote]

LOL

[quote]thekrown wrote:
I originally wanted to shoot for 200lbs but then I read about the issues involved with bulking.[/quote]

Do you believe everything you read? This “debate” has been beaten to death on this site so I’m not going to advance that shit, but I will say that if you want to gain muscle you have to eat a lot of food. And that BS with fat cells: body fat can be stripped off in a matter of months(as long as you don’t overdo it on the bulking), while lots of muscle takes years to build. I’d stop wasting my time if I were you and get to eating.

/hijack

You could just change the set reps scheme for a month to something like 10x3 on the mainlifts, then go back to 5x5