T Nation

After 'Fastest Way to Get Jacked' Program

Dear CT

I’m currently nearly going into week 5 and feel pretty damn good. I’ve followed the program to a ‘T’ and have absolutely loved it. Visually I’m changing almost daily, and look leaner and thicker than previously (no doubt because I’ve lost a few inches off my midriff). Yeah I’ve been sore and it’s been tough, but I’ve found splitting the sessions into two has really helped. MY nutrition has been on point (just below maintenance most days, with carbs between 100-125 a day…

I’m aiming for 6 weeks total and wondered should I:

• Lower volume/stress on big lifts 4-5 days a week (no accessory work)?
  • 4-5 day NC workout with some sled work thrown in here and there?
  • 2-3 standard full body session (M,W, F - similar to initial template) with some weighted carries/walks and sled work?
  • If I feel good just go straight into a M,T, TH, S program with 2-3 ‘growth days’?

Thank you for your time and advice as always

Moog

What I did was do this program for 6 weeks. The same happened to me: significant body comp changes but by week 5 I showed signs of fatigue. I then switched to a low volume approach VERY similar to Dorian Yates’ program and not unlike my"Best Damn program…".

Understand that I list 3-4 sets per exercise. But only the last one is an all-out effort. The first 2-3 sets are preparatory sets but I still want to have a straining effect from them. I leave about 1-2 reps in the tank.

*NOTE: this is my highest intensity phase (which I’ve been doing for 2 weeks. I will stop it the week of the photoshoot and will only go to failure… the intensity is not always that high, going beyond failure must be cycled in and out).

DAY 1 – CHEST & BICEPS

Smith machine incline bench press

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again

Machine chest press

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Pec deck

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 / rest 20 seconds/ do reps to failure again/ drop by 50% and reps to failure

Cable cross-over

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 / rest 20 seconds/ do reps to failure again/ drop by 50% and reps to failure

Standing barbell curls (straight bar)

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again / then chest the weight up and do a VERY slow negative… 1-3 reps like that, as long as I can control the negative

Machine curl

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Single arm seated machine curl

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 then get maximum assisted reps (with the other arm) with slow eccentric (5 sec)

DAY 2 – BACK

Straight-arms pulldown

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again / drop weight by 50% and reps to failure

Close-grip supinated lat pulldown

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Bent over barbell row (I use an EZ curl bar and a supinated grip)

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Single-arm machine seated row

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Rear delts machine

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again / drop weight by 50% and reps to failure

Yates deadlift (which is similar to a Romanian deadlift but you focus on pulling the shoulders back when lifting the weight up)

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 (to technical failure, not total failure; I don’t want to lose my posture)

DAY 3 – SHOULDER, TRICEPS & TRAPS

Smith machine behind the neck shoulder press

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Standing DB lateral raise

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again / drop weight by 25-50% and reps to failure

Barbell front raise (I use an EZ bar)

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Machine seated lateral raise

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Barbell shrugs

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

DB old-time standing row/shrugs

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Reverse grip triceps pressdown

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Rope triceps pressdown

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Single arm reverse grip triceps pressdown

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

DAY 4 – LOWER BODY

Leg extension

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Hack squat

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Single leg extension

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 to failure / rest 20 seconds / do reps to failure again / then use the other leg to help during concentric and lower with one leg in 5 sec… do as many slow eccentrics as possible

Lying leg curl

Leg extension

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

Romanian deadlift

1 x 12

1 x 10

1 x 8

1 x 6-8 (to technical failure, not total failure; I don’t want to lose my posture)

I will normally train 3 days on/1 day off, rotating the workouts in the order above.

Thanks Coach!

I’ll give this a shot for sure. I tran at home at 6.am (not totally fasted) so will have to substitute a few exercises here and there (bands for cables, sled drag for quads instead of extensions etc) but will stay true to structure and methods you suggest.

I’ll throw in some am weighted walks on off days, and possibly some abs curcuits (ala your Thibarmy article) in separate PM sessions in lifting days.

I’ll be honest and state I’m no where as lean as you (I’m at the blurry abs), but in a really good position to keep pushing forward. I’ve been pretty tight with my diet (couple of glasses of wine at a wedding and have 4-5 dark chocolate covered almonds here ind there after my evening meal)

I’m coming up to forty on Oct 25 and aim to make further improvements. Had a tough 18 montgs - lost fiancé to cancer 6 months after our daughter was born. Let things go, drinkingto much, diet not great, no serious motivation at times - wasn’t on a good place.

Much better now, and I’ll tell you that you have played a part in that my good man. I’ve always respected you and looked up to you from a far (I also work with young people with Autism/Aspergers - am a SEN teacher in Bangkok) and I use you as an example in terms of what you can achieve if your a bit (sometimes a lot) different than others, and have used the knowledge you impart over the last 12 months to really help me get my groove back.

Sorry long winded - just sometimes I feel that people whi share their knowledge and want to help others should know that it’s making a real difference and appreciated.

Thank you sir

Stay strong brother!!!

Hi Again CT

Due to my new work schedule (and that Sunday if my day with my daughter) I’m thinking of this modified plan:

M – Chest and biceps
T – Back
W – Shoulders and Triceps
TH – off
F – Lower body
S - Chest and upper back
SU - off

Due to lower frequency for lower body, I think maybe I could increase the intensity a little?

Thanks again

Moog

I don’t really like it. The chest is worked three days in a row and the shoulders receive too much direct work compared to everything. The only way I see this working is doing only isolation work on the second chest workout and doing about twice as much work for the upper back.