T Nation

After Completion of Starting Strength ?


#1

I have completed 24 Session as per starting strength excel sheet of Starting Strength
Weight Increased from 59 to 61 kg
My lifts increased from 20kg to:
Squat 72kg
Bench Press 50kg
Deadlift 72kg
Overhead Press 42kg
Bent Over Barbell Row 50kg
My diet Mon-Sun
Dalia Big Bowl-8Am
Lentils 100gm-11Am
5 Chapatis-12Pm
Rice-2.30Pm
Lentils 100g-4Pm
2 Chapatis-5Pm
5 Chapatis-9Pm
Milk-10Pm
On Mon,Wed, Fri Protein shake after workout-25gm serving
I have got belly fat so suggestion on diet is welcome

Now what should I do Bil star 5*5 or Strong lifts
Goal- Muscular body with 6 Packs
I was skinny before starting working out
Height 5'6


#2

Your last post here was 2 months ago, during which time you were doing a different (and frankly, terrible) program: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/suggest_a_34_day_workout_routine

So how did you do 24 weeks of Starting Strength in 8 weeks? Moreover, how did you do SS for 2 months and not increase your bench at all?


#3

I seem to vaguely remember you posting something and getting suggestions to do SS (quite possibly from me).

Sounds like you did Stronglifts 5x5 though, if you started at the empty bar.

Like IronCondor said, SS isn’t an 8 week program, it is much longer and you don’t necessarily start with an empty bar.

A lot of people seem to add quite a bit of fat doing SS but also tend to get a fair bit stronger.

For diet, try keeping your overall calorie intake the same but reduce the amount of calories from carbohydrates, especially on non training days. Don’t eliminate carbs entirely, as especially on training days they are important, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to cut carbs a lot on rest days.

By the looks of it you’re vegetarian, so you’ll need to look for protein sources that don’t come with a bunch of carbs along for the ride.

I’d advise doing Starting Strength as written by Rippetoe, and when you’ve completed that in about six months or so switch to 5/3/1.


#4

Texas method/Bill starr


#5

[quote]Iron Condor wrote:
Your last post here was 2 months ago, during which time you were doing a different (and frankly, terrible) program: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/suggest_a_34_day_workout_routine

So how did you do 24 weeks of Starting Strength in 8 weeks? Moreover, how did you do SS for 2 months and not increase your bench at all?[/quote]
Its actually 24 sessions of starting strength as per excel sheet from starting strength website


#6

If you plan on:

  • lifting for a year then moving on or
    -.have a meet planned in your first year or in a sport where guys with 5 year’s training will blow you away

And have a coach (because you can go well over a month with bad form before problems arise)

then there are benefits to going with SS.

If not, then where you are after 6 months of training will have zero bearing on where you’ll be in 3 years (if consistency isn’t an issue) and you may as well go straight to a 5/3/1 or similar. You’ll avoid a bunch of the issues.

TBH, (and this isn’t a blanket rule) most folks fail with SS and many of the advocates didn’t actually use SS in their journey but feel it makes sense on paper so point beginners to it.

Most importantly, if SS doesn’t do it for you, chances are you’ll abandon it when things get hard anyway.


#7

[quote]tsantos wrote:
If you plan on:

  • lifting for a year then moving on or
    -.have a meet planned in your first year or in a sport where guys with 5 year’s training will blow you away

And have a coach (because you can go well over a month with bad form before problems arise)

then there are benefits to going with SS.

If not, then where you are after 6 months of training will have zero bearing on where you’ll be in 3 years (if consistency isn’t an issue) and you may as well go straight to a 5/3/1 or similar. You’ll avoid a bunch of the issues.

TBH, (and this isn’t a blanket rule) most folks fail with SS and many of the advocates didn’t actually use SS in their journey but feel it makes sense on paper so point beginners to it.

Most importantly, if SS doesn’t do it for you, chances are you’ll abandon it when things get hard anyway.[/quote]

These are all really good points. I used a SS-ish approach when I started out and it lasted about 6 weeks before I had to change a fair bit. Granted, I’d been training for four or so years prior and was already not weak (but not strong either), but your point stands.

For me, SS is a viable option BUT only if the individual reads the book AND is brutally honest with themselves about their technical ability and does everything they can to improve it. So, not too many fit that bill.

5/3/1 is an all around better program. In this case, I figured since OP had already bought into the idea of it pointing them towards the real/proper SS approach made sense.


#8

Im doing everything after checking out recent videos of Ripptoe from you tube manliness channel so that my form remain good its just that in excel sheet its written 24 session 8 weeks and I dont know it will be a good idea to carry on ss


#9

[quote]tsantos wrote:

TBH, (and this isn’t a blanket rule) most folks fail with SS and many of the advocates didn’t actually use SS in their journey but feel it makes sense on paper so point beginners to it.

Most importantly, if SS doesn’t do it for you, chances are you’ll abandon it when things get hard anyway.[/quote]

I’d have to disagree with your statement that most fail with SS. I’ve had great success with it and they’re are countless success stories from people using it. Anyone new to lifting that gives it an honest go will get results on SS or SL5x5


#10

[quote]zyther wrote:
Im doing everything after checking out recent videos of Ripptoe from you tube manliness channel so that my form remain good its just that in excel sheet its written 24 session 8 weeks and I dont know it will be a good idea to carry on ss [/quote]

As far as I understand it SS has a few stages. If you want to do it properly you should get Rippetoe’s ebook which I think sets it out stage by stage along with fairly in depth analysis of each lift.


#11

[quote]Paul93 wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

TBH, (and this isn’t a blanket rule) most folks fail with SS and many of the advocates didn’t actually use SS in their journey but feel it makes sense on paper so point beginners to it.

Most importantly, if SS doesn’t do it for you, chances are you’ll abandon it when things get hard anyway.[/quote]

I’d have to disagree with your statement that most fail with SS. I’ve had great success with it and they’re are countless success stories from people using it. Anyone new to lifting that gives it an honest go will get results on SS or SL5x5[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to say everyone fails or it doesn’t work. I actually think it works pretty well. I just don’t think most (ie >50%) will come out the other side and in the long term it doesn’t matter of you squatted 350-400lbs or 200-250lbs after 6 months if you don’t have a need in the first year (ie. a meet, a sport season, etc)

Also agree with Mark about the book. It is a pretty different progression than the internet spreadsheets


#12

[quote]tsantos wrote:
If you plan on:

  • lifting for a year then moving on or
    -.have a meet planned in your first year or in a sport where guys with 5 year’s training will blow you away

And have a coach (because you can go well over a month with bad form before problems arise)

then there are benefits to going with SS.

If not, then where you are after 6 months of training will have zero bearing on where you’ll be in 3 years (if consistency isn’t an issue) and you may as well go straight to a 5/3/1 or similar. You’ll avoid a bunch of the issues.

TBH, (and this isn’t a blanket rule) most folks fail with SS and many of the advocates didn’t actually use SS in their journey but feel it makes sense on paper so point beginners to it.

Most importantly, if SS doesn’t do it for you, chances are you’ll abandon it when things get hard anyway.[/quote]

This was an amazing post.


#13

[quote]zyther wrote:
Dalia Big Bowl-8Am
Lentils 100gm-11Am
5 Chapatis-12Pm
Rice-2.30Pm
Lentils 100g-4Pm
2 Chapatis-5Pm
5 Chapatis-9Pm
Milk-10Pm
On Mon,Wed, Fri Protein shake after workout-25gm serving
I have got belly fat so suggestion on diet is welcome
[/quote]

So essentially your warmup is eating vegetables in some kind of carby porrige, followed by a small amount of beans and rice supersetted with wheat pancakes and with a high rep milk finisher.

Brilliant.

Get used to that bellyfat because I doubt it’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

But seriously, consider adding in some protein and fat into your diet, right now it is almost entirely carbohydrate. Best choices would be any type of dead animal.

To answer your question, you can milk out beginner gains for a long time, and while starting strength may not be ideal, it is just fine for most beginners.


#14

[quote]geodude wrote:

[quote]zyther wrote:
Dalia Big Bowl-8Am
Lentils 100gm-11Am
5 Chapatis-12Pm
Rice-2.30Pm
Lentils 100g-4Pm
2 Chapatis-5Pm
5 Chapatis-9Pm
Milk-10Pm
On Mon,Wed, Fri Protein shake after workout-25gm serving
I have got belly fat so suggestion on diet is welcome
[/quote]

So essentially your warmup is eating vegetables in some kind of carby porrige, followed by a small amount of beans and rice supersetted with wheat pancakes and with a high rep milk finisher.

Brilliant.

Get used to that bellyfat because I doubt it’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

But seriously, consider adding in some protein and fat into your diet, right now it is almost entirely carbohydrate. Best choices would be any type of dead animal.

To answer your question, you can milk out beginner gains for a long time, and while starting strength may not be ideal, it is just fine for most beginners.[/quote]

I get the feeling the OP is probably vegetarian so dead animal is unlikely an option. I had the same feeling as you though, far too many carbs and not enough protein and fat.


#15

[quote]geodude wrote:

[quote]zyther wrote:
Dalia Big Bowl-8Am
Lentils 100gm-11Am
5 Chapatis-12Pm
Rice-2.30Pm
Lentils 100g-4Pm
2 Chapatis-5Pm
5 Chapatis-9Pm
Milk-10Pm
On Mon,Wed, Fri Protein shake after workout-25gm serving
I have got belly fat so suggestion on diet is welcome
[/quote]

So essentially your warmup is eating vegetables in some kind of carby porrige, followed by a small amount of beans and rice supersetted with wheat pancakes and with a high rep milk finisher.

Brilliant.

Get used to that bellyfat because I doubt it’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

But seriously, consider adding in some protein and fat into your diet, right now it is almost entirely carbohydrate. Best choices would be any type of dead animal.

To answer your question, you can milk out beginner gains for a long time, and while starting strength may not be ideal, it is just fine for most beginners.[/quote]

So much this


#16

I agree with the people suggesting to move on to 5/3/1 if SS isn’t working. SS works well for people with decent technique in the main lifts. More often than not, people have poor technique, likely attributed to a lack of athletic background and physical activity, and this is a major reason why some people see little progress with SS. It is usually the people that start off with very little strength who use SS. 5/3/1 has a balanced approach in developing muscle/strength that promotes better technique even if technique improvement isn’t the main goal. It’s hard to screw up 5/3/1 if you understand and follow the guiding principles.